|Available in||Simplified Chinese|
|Founded||26 May 2006|
|Products||Mango Hi Q (OEM by HiMedia)|
Mango TV (芒果TV, Mángguǒ TV) is a Chinese Internet enterprise operated by mgtv.com Corporation. Mango TV was established on May 26, 2006 in Changsha, Hunan and later decided to use 'Mango TV(Internet TV, PC, Phone and Pad)' as its video platform branding title in 2008. Mango TV specializes in creating online videos and is an online platform providing all of the content that is presented in TV channels, and all other copyright works from Hunan Broadcasting System and Hunan Satellite TV. Its current headquarter is located in Golden Eagle Movie&TV Cultural City, Changsha, Hunan, China. Mango TV provides audience with all kinds of content including films, TV series, music, cartoons and entertainment.
On May 9, 2018, the license which Hunan Broadcasting System got to broadcast the Eurovision Song Contest was taken away after it was revealed that Mango TV, which broadcast Eurovision 2018 for Chinese audiences, censored the Albanian and Irish performances, along with censoring any rainbow flags which were seen in the audience.
Mango TV was established on May 26, 2006, in Changsha, Hunan by Ruobo Zhang, the former Mango TV Chairman&CEO. On April 20, 2014, the original Mango TV and Golden Eagle website were integrated into a single online video platform which exclusively holds all of Hunan Broadcasting System and Hunan Satellite TV's content and enjoys their copyright works, also known as "Mango Exclusive Broadcast". In October 2014, Mango TV created the first self-produced web series 'Huayang Jianghu'. On 2014 New Year Countdown Night, held by Hunan Satellite TV, Mango TV launched five-screen live broadcast mode, allowing audience to select different camera positions and angles to watch the celebration show.
In 2015, Mango TV has experienced a shift from 'Exclusive Broadcast' to 'Unique Content',[further explanation needed] during which period the number of users has increased to 60 million on the platform. In October 2015, Mango TV built collaboration and signed a memorandum with BBC World, seeking for more opportunities on co-production in the global market.
Mango TV originals
Mango TV originals refers to work or content that are produced by Mango TV itself, compared to a large proportion of content that it exclusively broadcasts from Hunan Satellite TV.
In October 2014, Mango TV's first self-produced network drama 'Huayang Jianghu' debuted, which featured ancient Chinese world as well as costumes and starred young idols. In late 2014, Mango TV produced the second drama 'Jinpai Hongniang'. The drama featured fixed cast compared to previous network dramas which preferred to take each episode with different actors.
In 2015, Mango TV produced the first interactive network live show 'Perfect Holiday', featuring normal young participants living in the same house. The production used multi-positioned cameras which enabled audience to watch the show with different angles of rooms. Later in July 2016, 'Perfect Holiday 2' debuted with more rooms in different themes. It added new IP cameras that would follow the participants all the time, which increased the sense of entertainment.
Hunan satellite TV
With 'Mango Exclusive Broadcast', Mango TV provides all the content from Hunan Satellite TV exclusively. Some of the notable shows are as follow:
Mango Hi Q
Mango Hi Q is a HD IPTV set-top box(STB) which enables users to request TV programs, movies, music and games.
On June 23, 2016, Mango TV has completed series B funding with nearly 1.5 billion.
Its estimated value now is 13.5 billion and was planning to go public in 2016. But the plan failed and Mango TV ended up in being included into Happigo Home Shopping Co. Ltd, going public with other six companies.
Critics stated that it would be better for Mango TV to obtain fully controlled operating authority. With Hunan Broadcasting System owning more than 50% shares, it's hard for Mango TV to make decisions all by itself.
In May 2018, during the Eurovision's performance of Irish singers, Mango TV allegedly blurred and censored gay love symbols such as a kiss and LGBT flags, resulting in the Eurovision administration ending contract with the Chinese TV channel.
- "About Us_mgtv.com". mgtv.com. Retrieved 15 October 2016.
- "公司信息_湖南快乐阳光互动娱乐传媒有限公司(About Us_mgtv)". Mango TV. Retrieved 15 October 2016.
- Wang, Xiaoyi. "芒果TV：出资超一亿 做内容孵化平台_网易财经". 21jingji.com. Retrieved 22 October 2016.
- "芒果TV_创业公司_新芽(Mango TV_startup_newseed)". newseed. Retrieved 22 October 2016.
- "张若波 湖南快乐阳光互动娱乐传媒有限公司CEO_经济频道_央视网(cctv.com)". jingji.cntv.cn. Retrieved 22 October 2016.
- Cao, Jie. "芒果TV的独播战略(Mango Exclusive Broadcast)_". Baidu Wenku. Retrieved 15 October 2016.
- Zhang, Chun. "芒果TV打造马栏山出品 自制剧《花样江湖》(Mango TV produced the first network drama 'Huayang Jianghu)". Xinhua Net. Retrieved 15 October 2016.
- Zhang, Zhen. "芒果TV创新网台互动模式 多屏全景直播小年夜春晚". Rednet.com. Retrieved 22 October 2016.
- Yang, Lei. "丁诚+芒果tv 除了独播，还有什么？". Economic Weekly. Retrieved 22 October 2016.
- "BBC Worldwide, China's Mango TV to Explore Co-Productions". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 22 October 2016.
- "芒果TV首部定制剧《花样江湖》顺利杀青(图)-新华网". ent.news.cn. Retrieved 22 October 2016.
- "芒果TV电影级标准拍网剧 《金牌红娘》破千万_网易娱乐". ent.163.com. Retrieved 22 October 2016.
- "芒果TV粉丝经济《完美假期》成网生综艺标杆_厂商动态-中关村在线(Mango TV's fans economy: Perfect Holiday)". news.zol.com.cn. Retrieved 22 October 2016.
- "芒果TV《完美假期2》开播 内容营销全面升级备受瞩目('Perfect Holiday' debuted, making progress on content marketing)". ent.ifeng.com. Retrieved 22 October 2016.
- "芒果巨制《百万秒问答》启动 蔡康永主持". ent.sina.com. Retrieved 22 October 2016.
- "京东金融携手芒果TV《明星大侦探》开启战略合作第一步_滚动播报_光明网". e.gmw.cn. Retrieved 22 October 2016.
- "真我个性年轻优选 芒果TV定制款芒果嗨Q H5重磅上市_网易数码". digi.163.com. Retrieved 22 October 2016.
- "芒果TV宣布完成近15亿元B轮融资". finance.sina.com.cn. Retrieved 22 October 2016.
- "估值近135亿元 芒果TV为何放弃单独上市". tech.ifeng.com. Retrieved 22 October 2016.
- "芒果TV独立上市流产背后：湖南卫视综艺节目难再一家独大". techweb.com.cn. Retrieved 22 October 2016.
- "调令芒果TV借壳上市，湖南广电还要绝对控股多久？_网易财经". money.163.com. Retrieved 22 October 2016.
- "Eurovision 2018: Chinese channel barred from airing contest". BBC.