Manikrao Hodlya Gavit
|Manikrao Hodlya Gavit|
|Political party||Indian National Congress|
Manikrao Hodlya Gavit (Marathi: माणिकराव होदल्या गावित) (born 29 October 1934) in an Indian politician from Maharashtra. A member of the Indian National Congress (INC), he represented the Nandurbar from 1981 to 2014, winning the Indian general elections 9 times in a row which is a record. He holds the unique distinction of having been elected the highest number of times to the Lok Sabha from Maharashtra.
Manikrao Gavit served as a member of 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th and 14th Lok Sabha. During 14th Lok Sabha he was the Minister of State in the Ministry of Home Affairs in the Manmohan Singh government till 6 April 2008 when he was asked to quit. He alleges that Indian National Congress President Sonia Gandhi told him that she was under tremendous pressure to remove him. He was elected for the consecutive 9th time from the Nandurbar constituency in the Indian general election, 2009.
He served as Minister of State for Home Affairs.
He served as Minister of state for Social Justice department.
Political affiliations/representations Following are some of Political Affiliations and Representations of Manikrao Gavit.
- 1965-71 Member, Navapur Village Panchayat, Distt. Dhule, Maharashtra
- 1971-78 Chairman, Social Welfare Committee, Zila Parishad, Dhule, Maharashtra
- 1978-84 Vice-President, District Congress Committee (Indira) [D.C.C.(I)], Distt. Dhule, Maharashtra
- 1980-81 Member, Maharashtra Legislative Assembly
- Chairman, Committee on Social Welfare
- 1981 Elected to 7th Lok Sabha
- 1984 Re-elected to 8th Lok Sabha (2nd term)
- 1989 Re-elected to 9th Lok Sabha (3rd term)
- 1990-91 Member, Committee on Absence of Members from the Sittings of the House
- 1990-96 Member, Consultative Committee, Ministry of Petroleum and Chemicals
- 1991 Re-elected to 10th Lok Sabha (4th term)
- 1991-93 Member, Consultative Committee, Ministry of Railways (two terms)
- 1996 Re-elected to 11th Lok Sabha (5th term)
- 1998 Re-elected to 12th Lok Sabha (6th term)
- 1998-99 Member, Committee on Labour and Welfare
- Member, Consultative Committee, Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas
- 1999 Re-elected to 13th Lok Sabha (7th term)
- 1999-2000 Member, Committee on Absence of Members from the Sittings of the House
- Member, Committee on Railways
- 1999-2001 Member, Committee on the Welfare of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes
- 2000-2004 Member, Consultative Committee, Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas
- 2004 Re-elected to 14th Lok Sabha( 8th term)
- 23 May 2004 Union Minister of State, Home Affairs
- 2009 Re-elected to 15th Lok Sabha (9th term)
- 1 June 2009 Pro-tem Speaker
- 31 Aug. 2009 Member, Committee on Rural Development
- 7 Oct. 2009 Chairman, Committee on Ethics
- 22 July 2013 Minister of State for Social Justice & Empowerment.
- http://www.hindu.com/2009/05/31/stories/2009053150270100.htm Gavit appointed as Protem Speaker
- "Constituency-wise results for Lok Sabha Elections 2014". Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2014-05-16.