A. Veerappan (dialogues)
|Produced by||R. Dhanabhalan|
|Edited by||M. Ganesan|
Manikuyil is a 1993 Tamil drama film directed by Rajavarman. The film features Murali and Saradha Preetha in lead roles, with Goundamani, Senthil, Vijayakumar, Charan Raj, Shanmugasundaram, Kokila, A. K. Veerasamy and C. R. Saraswathi playing supporting roles. The film, produced by R. Dhanabhalan, had musical score by Ilaiyaraaja and was released on 26 February 1993.
Muthuvelu (Murali) lives with his mother Deivanai (Kokila) and grandfather (A. K. Veerasamy) in a mountainous area. Despite being an educated man, he makes his living harvesting honey using traditional methods. The wicked forest officer Sundaram (Charan Raj) often gets into fights with Muthuvelu. One day, the city girl Kaveri (Saradha Preetha) spots Muthuvelu singing a song. She records it with her video camera and then sends the video to a TV channel. Muthuvelu's song is telecasted by the TV channel, and he becomes popular in no time; thus, he becomes a singer. Once again, Muthuvelu and Sundaram get into a fight. This time, Sundaram is suspended from his job by his superiors.
Thereafter, Muthuvelu and Kaveri fall in love with each other. At first, Kaveri's father Ramasamy (Shanmugasundaram) accepts for their marriage. Sundaram enters their home pretending to be Muthuvelu's father. Deivanai claims that he is not her husband when Ramasamy asks about her husband's identity and she refuses to tell. Ramasamy puts his foot down when she refuses to reveal any pieces of information about Muthuvelu's father. Ramasamy is now grateful to Sundaram and appoints him to work in his factory.
Later that night, Deivanai reveals to Muthuvelu that she was an orphan and lived alone in the past. She had a secret affair with the wealthy man Ratnasabapathy (Vijayakumar), who promised to marry her. Thereafter, Deivanai received death threats from Ratnasabapathy's relatives and had no other choice but to leave the village. A kindhearted person, now Muthuvelu's grandfather, helped Deivanai and took care of her like his own daughter.
Muthuvelu goes in search of his father Ratnasabapathy and finds that he is now married and has three sons. What transpires later forms the crux of the story.
- Murali as Muthuvelu
- Saradha Preetha as Kaveri
- Senthil as Chinna Gounder
- Vijayakumar as Ratnasabapathy
- Charan Raj as Sundaram
- Shanmugasundaram as Ramasamy
- Kokila as Deivanai
- A. K. Veerasamy as Muthuvelu's grandfather
- C. R. Saraswathi as Ratnasabapathy's wife
- Idichapuli Selvaraj
- Mottai Seetharaman
- Thayir Vadai Desikan
- Chokkalinga Bhagavathar
- Kulla Appu
- Kulla Murugan
- Gundu Ganesan
- Bonda Mani
- R. K.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|2||"Thaneerilay Mugam"||Mano, Uma Ramanan||Ponnadiyan||4:47|
|3||"Vetti Vetti Veru"||Arunmozhi||Vaali||4:39|
|4||"Adi Marrivantha"||Malaysia Vasudevan||4:39|
|5||"Kathal Nilavey"||Arunmozhi, Uma Ramanan||5:02|
|6||"Kathal Ennum Vetham"||Malaysia Vasudevan||Ponnadiyan||4:51|
- "Manikuyil (1993) Tamil Movie". spicyonion.com. Retrieved 24 January 2017.
- "Manikuyil (1993)". gomolo.com. Retrieved 24 January 2017.
- "Filmography of manikkuyil". cinesouth.com. Archived from the original on 22 November 2004. Retrieved 24 January 2017.
- "Find Tamil Movie Manikkuyil". jointscene.com. Archived from the original on 10 February 2010. Retrieved 24 January 2017.
- "Manikuyil Songs". raaga.com. Retrieved 24 January 2017.
- "Manikuyil (1993) — Ilaiyaraaja". mio.to. Retrieved 24 January 2017.
- "Manikuyil — Original Soundtrack". allmusic.com. Retrieved 24 January 2017.
- Mannath, Malini (5 March 1993). "Sigh!". The Indian Express. p. 7.