Manila High School (Arkansas)
|Manila High School|
|419 East Olympia Street
Manila, Arkansas 72442
|School type||Public comprehensive|
|Motto||A Great Place To Be|
|NCES School ID||050004600668|
|Teaching staff||23.47 (on FTE basis)|
|Student to teacher ratio||12.06|
|Education system||ADE Smart Core|
|Classes offered||Regular, Advanced Placement (AP)|
|Athletics||Football, Golf, Cross Country, Basketball, Baseball, Softball, Track, Cheer|
|Athletics conference||3A Region 3|
|Team name||Manila Lions|
|USNWR ranking||Bronze Medalist (2012)|
|Feeder to||Manila Middle School (grades 5–8)|
|Affiliation||Arkansas Activities Association|
Manila High School is an accredited and nationally recognized comprehensive public high school for students in grades 9 through 12 located in Manila, Arkansas, United States. Manila High School is one of six public high schools in Mississippi County and the only high school of the Manila School District. For the 2010–11 school year, the high school instructed more than 280 students with more than 23 classroom teachers employed on a full time equivalent basis.
Manila High School is accredited by the Arkansas Department of Education (ADE) and has been accredited by AdvancED (formerly North Central Association) since 1966. The assumed course of study follows the ADE Smart Core curriculum, which requires students complete at least 22 units prior to graduation. Students complete regular (core and career focus) coursework and exams and may take Advanced Placement (AP) courses and exam with the opportunity to receive college credit prior to graduation.
The Manila School District is one of 35 school districts listed as "Achieving" (the highest rating) by the Arkansas Department of Education in support of Adequate Yearly Progress and Augmented Benchmark Examinations.
For 2012–14, the Manila Lions compete in interscholastic activities within the 3A Classification in the 3A Region 3 Conference administered by the Arkansas Activities Association. The Bobcats play within the 4A Region 1 Conference. Manila fields varsity teams in football, golf (boys/girls), cross country (boys/girls), basketball (boys/girls), cheer, baseball, fastpitch softball, track and field (boys/girls).
- Golf: The boys golf teams have won four state golf championships (1973, 1975, 1993, 1998).
- Basketball: The girls basketball team won a state basketball championship in 1958. Four years later, the boys team won its first state basketball title in 1962.
Clubs and traditions
Manila students participate in a variety of clubs and organizations that offer community service projects, competitions, scholarships and networking to include Beta Club, Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA), FCCLA, Quiz Bowl, SkillsUSA, and Student Council.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Manila High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved 6 March 2013.
- "School Profile, Manila High School". Arkansas Activities Association. Retrieved 6 March 2013.
- "Institution Summary, Manila High School". AdvancED. Retrieved 6 March 2013.
- "Best High Schools 2012". 'U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved 19 November 2012.
- Howell, Cynthia (30 January 2013). "35 labeled ‘achieving’ of 239 school districts". Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. Retrieved 6 March 2013.
- "Arkansas High School Sports Record Book 2012–13" (PDF). Arkansas Activities Association. Archived from the original (PDF) on 31 May 2013. Retrieved 19 November 2012.