મણિલાલ ભગવાનજી દેસાઈ
|Born||19 July 1939|
Gorgam (now in Valsad district, Gujarat)
|Died||4 May 1966 (aged 26)|
|Education||Master of Arts|
|Period||Modern Gujarati literature|
|Genres||geet, ghazal, metrical and non-metrical poetry|
|Notable works||Raneri (1968; posthumously)|
He was born in Gorgam (now in Valsad district, Gujarat) on 19 July 1939. He completed his BA with Gujarati and MA with Sanskrit in Mumbai and served as a lecturer in Gujarati at Zhunzhunwala College, Ghatkopar, Mumbai. He died at early age of 26 in Ahmedabad on 4 May 1966.
His collection Raneri (1968), edited by Jayant Parekh, was published posthumously. It includes geet, ghazal, metrical and non-metrical poetry as well as prose poetry. Darkness is recurring theme in his poetry. Suresh Dalal has called him "the poet of colour, rhythm and movement of darkness". He was modernist in his approach. Gandhijina Shishyo was his first work. His "Umbare Ubhi Sambharu Re Bol Valamna" (Gujarati: ઉંબરે ઊભી સાંભરું રે બોલ વાલમના) is very popular song across Gujarat. This song depicts a rural woman waiting for and thus remembering his husband in her everyday deeds.
- Patel, Manilal H. (2018). Bol Valamna (biographical sketch of Manilal Desai). Ahmedabad: Gujarati Vishwakosh Trust.
- Brahmabhatt, Prasad (2010). અર્વાચીન ગુજરાતી સાહિત્યનો ઈતિહાસ - આધુનિક અને અનુઆધુનિક યુગ (History of Modern Gujarati Literature – Modern and Postmodern Era) (in Gujarati). Ahmedabad: Parshwa Publication. p. 59-62. ISBN 978-93-5108-247-7.
- K. M. George (1992). Modern Indian Literature, an Anthology: Surveys and poems. Sahitya Akademi. p. 139. ISBN 978-81-7201-324-0.
- Thakar, Dhirubhai (2006). Arvachin Gujarati Sahityani Vikas Rekha: Adhunik ane Anuadhunik Pravaho (in Gujarati). 5. Ahmedabad: Gurjar Granthratna Karyalaya. ISBN 81-89166-36-0.
- Raval, Praful (August 2018). "વિશ્વકોશ-પ્રકાશન" [Vishwakosh-Publications]. Vishwavihar (in Gujarati). Ahmedabad: Gujarati Vishwakosh Trust. pp. 28–29. ISSN 2321-6999.