This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||16 August 1939|
|Genres||Indian classical music|
Training and career
Manilal was born in Bankura and was taught to play sitar by his father, Gokul Nag. He made his first public appearance in the All India Music Conference of 1953, accompanied by Samta Prasad on tabla. He has been performing many times in the National Programme of Music and Akashvani Sangeet Sammelan since 1954.
He was invited to the United States and other European Countries through the I.C.C.R (Government of India) in the year 1973. In 1979 he was also invited to Australia by the Government Of India as a delegate for participation in the Indian Ocean Art Festival, to mark the 150th Anniversary of the Government of Australia.
He received the Sangeet Natak Akademy Award in 2001 and also the Senior Fellowship Award from India's Ministry of Culture in 2005 and an Honorary Gold Medal from the Asiatic Society, Kolkata, in 2008. The Government of West Bengal awarded him the Allauddin Puraskar in 2012 and the Banga Bibhushan in 2015, as well as the Sangeet Mahasamman Award. He has also received the ITC Sangeet Samman, Doverlane Sangeet Samman, Koser Award from Pracheen Kala Kendra, Chandigarh, Sangeet Ratna Award from Mumbai, and Vitasta Award from New Delhi.
- Ragas Jog, Bhairavi (Ray Spiegel, tabla): Raga Records 215
- Raga Lalit (Anand Gopal Bandopadhyay, tabla): Raga Records 213.
- Classical Music of North India - Raga Suha Kanada (Mahapurush Misra, tabla): Koch World Music Library KICC 5111; King Records (Japan) K30Y 5101.
- Classical Music of North India - Ragas Puriya Dhanashri, Rageshri (Mahapurush Misra, tabla): Koch World Music Library KICC 5112; King Records K30Y 5119.
- Ragas Darbari Kanada, Mishra Kafi (Sankha Chatterjee, tabla): Dunya Records fy 8025 (Italy)
- Jugalbandi, a shenai and sitar duet. Ali Ahmad Hussein Khan shenai, Subhen Chatterjee tabla. Raga Desh: Rhyme Records RCD 9805
- Sitar & Sehnai - Manilal Nag & Ali Ahmed Hussain shenai, Subhen Chatterjee tabla. Marwa, Abhogi, Anand Kalyan, Purvi dhun Biswas BIS 115
- Harmony Of Strings V G Jog violin, Anand Gopal Bhandopadhyay tabla: Raga Shyam Kalyan, Raga Basant, Raga Bihari. Vista India VIST 114770
- Raga Charukeshi (Homnath Upadhyay, tabla): Ravi Shankar Music Circle RSMC-18.
- Ragas Jogkauns, Saraswati (Sabir Khan, tabla): Gramophone Co. of India STCS 02B 6189.
- The Japan Concerts, 1985 - Ragas Puriya Kalyan, Misra Piloo, Khamaj (Mahapurush Misra, tabla): Raga Records 103