'manipal.edu', the administrative building of the university.
|Motto||Inspired by Life|
|Chancellor||Piyush Kumar Singh|
|Location||Manipal, Karnataka, India|
|Campus||Suburban, 600 acres (2.4 km2)|
|Affiliations||UGC, ACU, AIU|
Manipal University is a deemed university located in Manipal, Karnataka, India. It has over 28,000 students from 52 countries. The university has branch campuses in Bangalore, Mangalore, Sikkim, Jaipur, Dubai, Malaysia and Antigua. It is a member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities. The university life and academic culture is highly comparable to that enjoyed by the students in North American universities.
It is regarded to be one of the most expensive universities to study at in India. The students often belong to high class wealthy families and respectable households. Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Institute of Technology and Welcomgroup Graduate School of Hotel Administration are the most reputed colleges of this university, and are often, if not always, ranked at the top of their competitors in their respective fields. 
|List of vice chancellors|
In 1953, T.M.A. Pai founded India's first private medical school, Kasturba Medical College, and five years later the Manipal Institute of Technology was formed. Ramdas Pai took over the management in 1979 after the death of T.M.A. Pai. Initially all degrees were awarded by Karnatak University Dharwad and later Mysore University. From 1980 to 1993 they were awarded by Mangalore University. The current organizational structure was formed in 1993, when Manipal University (then known as the Manipal Academy of Higher Education) was accorded deemed university status by the University Grants Commission. The university is certified as an ISO 14001:2004 organization. In, 2007, it rebranded itself as Manipal University. The legal name remains the Manipal Academy of Higher Education.
The university is composed of the following schools:
- Kasturba Medical College, Manipal and Mangalore
- Manipal Life Science Center, Manipal
- Manipal College of Dental Sciences Manipal and Mangalore
- Manipal College of Nursing, Manipal, Mangalore and Bangalore
- Faculty of Architecture, Planning and Design, Manipal
- Manipal College of Allied Health Sciences, Manipal, Mangalore and Bangalore
- Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Manipal
- Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal
- International Center for Applied Sciences, Manipal
- Manipal Center for Informational Science, Manipal
- Manipal Institute of Management, Manipal
- Melaka Manipal Medical College, Malacca, Malaysia
- Welcomgroup Graduate School of Hotel Administration, Manipal
- School of Jewellery Management, Manipal
- Manipal Institute of Communication, Manipal and Bangalore
- School of Regenerative Medicine, Bangalore
- Department of European Studies, Manipal
- Manipal Centre for Philosophy and Humanities, Manipal
- ICICI Manipal Academy, Bangalore
The university is made up of the following departments:
- Department of Geopolitics, Manipal
- Department of Commerce, Manipal
- Department of Statistics, Manipal
- Department of Public Health, Manipal
- Department of Sciences, Manipal
- Department of Atomic and Molecular Physics, Manipal
- Department of Advanced Pharmaceutical Science, Manipal
- Department of Culinary Arts, Manipal
There is one autonomous institute
Campuses in Manipal
Healthsciences Campus (Manipal)
Each hostel is run by a warden, while the entire system is governed by a chief warden. The medical colleges have centrally located lecture halls near the Healthsciences library and administrative building. The campus has a food court that serves over 800 people and is centrally air conditioned. Cuisine ranges from Indian to continental food. The campus includes the Center for Basic Sciences, healthcare colleges and the Kasturba Hospital.
The Innovation Centre was established during the 50th anniversary of the Manipal Institute of Technology (MIT): It is a research center in which funding is provided to students, faculty and the university. School of Management, one the esteemed institutes under Manipal university is located in the MIT campus.
The campuses have playgrounds and courts for cricket, hockey, football, tennis, basketball, badminton and volleyball. There is a gym and an athletics track. MARENA, the indoor sports complex in Manipal, which covers an area of 142,132 sq ft (13,204.5 m2), has badminton courts, basketball courts, squash court and an indoor jogging track along with a gym and a sauna.
Manipal University has a chain of six libraries that support its schools.
- The Health Sciences Library has 150,000 square feet on five floors for the use of students, faculty and researchers of health sciences. It can accommodate up to 1,300 users at a time.
- The Kasturba Medical College Central Library, Mangalore was established in 1953. The library is 2,025 sq. meters on three floors and can accommodate over 400 users.
- The central library of Manipal Institute of Technology is a three-storey building occupying an area of about 70,000 square feet (6,500 m2). It can accommodate 800 users at a time.
- WelcomGroup Graduate School of Hotel Administration library was established in 1986. The library is equipped with 5,634 books on hotel management and allied subjects. It subscribes to nearly 40 journals on general and trade subjects from all over the world.
- The Manipal Institute of Communication library, has over 9,000 books and other resources, is spread over an area of 3,000 square feet (280 m2), and can accommodate around 100 students. The library is equipped with books, Internet browsing, online database, online journals, CDs/DVDs, etc. There is a separate audio-visual room to view electronic documents.
- The Manipal Institute of Management (MIM) Library and Information Centre has a vast collection of management books and the latest national and international journals. MIM is the only institute in south India having access to the UN Depository Collection.
Manipal University encourages research. Budgetary provisions are given for research through capital allocations for the maintenance of animal facility, consumables, equipment etc. Experts from research groups from all over the world contribute as adjunct members of faculty.₹1.5 crore (US$220,000) was sanctioned to MIT in 2008–2009 towards funding innovation. A five-member student team from MIT won the prestigious Innovation Competition in 2008, organized by GE’s largest R&D centre outside the U.S.: the John F. Welch Technology Centre (JFWTC) Bangalore.
MIT has interdisciplinary labs constituted under the Innovation Centre, where several research programmes in emerging areas such as nanotechnology, ad hoc wireless networks, nuclear engineering, VLSI design and pattern recognition are being pursued. A collaborative project with Philips in the area of sustainable and ecofriendly technology and telemedicine at the BOP level is being pursued.
MCOPS, Manipal sends its second-year postgraduate (PG) students for collaborative research programmes at R&D centres all over the country. Often the research carried out by them becomes a part of the intellectual property of the company. MCOPS has ongoing programmes in novel drug delivery systems, formulation development and preclinical screening of drug candidates. The TIFAC CORE programme in pharmacogenomics envisages the development of personalized medicine. The MLSC engages its laboratories in rendering diagnostic advice to Kasturba Hospital in complicated cases. MCOPS has signed a memorandum of understanding with the University of Wyoming, Laramie, USA, under which a candidate registered for Ph.D. under MU will receive training and research guidance at the Laramie campus, leading to a split-campus Ph.D. MCOPS has been awarded a 1.3 crore DST research grant in collaboration with US Vitamins, Ltd Mumbai for the development of biodegradable sustained-release formulations.
The Manipal Life Science Centre has a dedicated research team and is undertaking several research projects funded by DBT, DST, etc. MLSC is linked to several international research institutions such as Wistar Institute Philadelphia, University of Queensland, etc. A patient-friendly device for the early detection of malignancy has been developed by the Department of Laser Spectroscopy collaboration with M/s Philips.
Manipal Advanced Research Group
The Manipal Advanced Research Group was formed in early 2006 with an aim to grow new research projects in fundamental sciences and promote interdisciplinary cooperation in areas between basic research, biomedical science and engineering. Agreements for academic collaborations in the natural sciences have been signed with GSI Helmholtz Centre for Heavy Ion Research, Joint Institute for Nuclear Research and Tata Institute of Fundamental Research. The university boasts of researchers like Aadarsh Mishra who has published 23 International Research papers at the Undergraduate level 
Team Manipal Racing
Team Manipal Racing, started by a group of students at Manipal in 2008, is an off-road racing team.The idea is to conceptualize and design an all terrain vehicle and to compete with international counterparts at various events conducted by SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) which include BAJA SAE India(Indore), Baja Student India and other events organised by SAE.. A team which can manage on its own and complete ATV design projects and self finance them, to start a legacy of such automotive R&D projects in the college which would put Manipal Institute of Technology on the national and global technical and automotive map. 
|General – India|
|Engineering – India|
|Electronics For You||2|
|Medical - India|
|Business – India|
Manipal University was ranked 3rd in India in the Higher Education Review "TOP 25 Private/ Deemed University in India 2015." It has been also ranked 3rd for High - Qualities infrastructure and 4th rank for in academic excellence in India by Higher Education Review Magazine survey 2014.
- Manipal Institute of Technology, the constituent engineering college of Manipal University, was ranked #16 in India Today's Best Engineering colleges of 2015. In rankings limited to private engineering colleges, it was ranked second in Electronics for You's Top 50 Private Engineering Colleges of 2011 and #12 in Mint's Top 50 Private Engineering Colleges of 2009.
- KMC ranked eighth among the Top 20 Medical Colleges in India by Outlook, sixth by an India Today report, and fifth amongst the Top 30 Medical Colleges in India by the Hindustan Times Horizon Report.
- Manipal College of Dental Sciences was ranked first among the Top 15 Dental Colleges in India by the Outlook ranking.
- WGSHA ranked third among Top 10 Hotel Management Institutes in India by Outlook and third among the Top Colleges for Hotel Management in India.
- Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences has been ranked third in the country, first among the private colleges of pharmacy by Career 360's "India's Best Pharmacy Colleges 2011" and ranked third in Top Private Universities in India 2015
- Manipal Institute of Communication has been ranked No. 1 (Factual) and No. 5 (Overall) among Communication Colleges in India by India Today Magazine Survey 2012.
- Deemed universities within India
- "Manipal University Top Amongst the Indian Private Universities in the QS Asian University Rankings". Retrieved 2014-06-10.
- "Manipal University Overview". manipal.edu. Retrieved 5 August 2011.
- "Dr. HS Ballal appointed as new Vice Chancellor of MAHE". oneIndia.in. 2 September 2003.
- "Adieu to Dr. Raj Warrier" (PDF). Departmental News (Department of Pediatrics ~ LSUMC New Orleans) 9 (2). May 2007.
- "K. Ramnarayan, Manipal varsity Vice-Chancellor". The Hindu. 31 May 2010.
- "UGC accreditation". Manipal gets deemed university status. University Grants Commission. Retrieved 5 April 2011.
- "Green Manipal". Retrieved 5 April 2011.
- http://express-press-release.net/34/MAHE,%20now%20Manipal%20University,%20Introduces%20online%20entrance%20tests%20for%20admissions%20to%20its%20programs.php. Express Press Release. 26-02-2007. Accessed 03-06-2012.
- http://www.ugc.ac.in/inside/deemed universities/manipal.html. Deemed Universities. University Grants Commission. 2006. Accessed 03-06-2012.
- "Campus area". Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- "Classroom Facility". Retrieved 2010-07-20.
- "Dining Facility". Retrieved 2010-07-20.
- "Sports Facility". Retrieved 2010-07-20.
- "Library". Retrieved 2010-07-15.
- "Health Sciences Library". Retrieved 2010-07-15.
- "KMC Library". Retrieved 2010-07-15.
- "MIT Library". Retrieved 2010-07-15.
- "WGSHA Library". Retrieved 2010-07-15.
- "MIC Library". Retrieved 2010-07-15.
- "MIM Library". Retrieved 2010-07-15.
- "Research Overview". Retrieved 2010-07-21. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "Research_at_MCOPS" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- "GE Edison Innovation Challenge". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 2008-11-12. Retrieved 2010-07-21.
- "Research at MIT". Retrieved 2010-07-21.
- "Research at MLSC". Retrieved 2010-07-21.
- "MARG". Retrieved 2010-07-21.
- "TOI-MARG". The Times Of India. 2009-03-10. Retrieved 2010-07-21.
- "MARG-Collaboration". Retrieved 2010-07-21.
- "A thirst for answers". Retrieved 2014-07-14.
- "Team Manipal Racing – Innovate Initiate Incarnate". teammanipalracing.in. Retrieved 2016-04-05.
- "TeamsProfile". Arnav CO. Arnav CO.
- "Top Universities in India 2016". Careers360.
- "Top Engineering Colleges". Outlook India. 16 June 2012. Retrieved 17 June 2012.
- "Top 50 Private Engineering Colleges of 2009" (PDF). Mint. 23 June 2009. Retrieved 9 September 2011.
- "Top 50 Private Engineering Colleges" (PDF). Electronics for You. May 2011. pp. 84–85. Retrieved 9 September 2011.
- "Outlook Rankings". Retrieved 2010-07-16. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "Outlook_Rankings" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page). Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "Outlook_Rankings" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- "Top Medical & Dental Colleges". Retrieved 2016-07-13.
- "Hindustan Times Rankings". Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- "India's Best Pharmacy Colleges 2011". careers360.com. Retrieved 15 August 2011.
- Top Private Universities in India 2015
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Manipal University.|