Manish Malhotra at WIFT's felicitation, May 2013
5 December 1965 |
|Relatives||Punit Malhotra (Nephew)|
Manish Malhotra is one of India's most successful fashion designers. Malhotra has designed for many leading actresses in Bollywood. He is known in the Indian film industry for his different style and his ability to envision a 'look' for the character. He is known for designing the costumes for Urmila Matondkar in the film Rangeela. Stars including Madhuri Dixit, Sridevi, Kajol, Karisma Kapoor, Juhi Chawla, Kareena Kapoor, Rani Mukherji, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Priyanka Chopra, Katrina Kaif, Sonam Kapoor, Deepika Padukone, Sonakshi Sinha, Preity Zinta and Parineeti Chopra have worn his designs. Although he usually designs for women, he designed for Shahrukh Khan in Mohabbatein and Imran Khan in I Hate Luv Storys. He was also asked to design clothes for Michael Jackson when he visited India for a Bollywood show.
Manish has trained fellow designer Surily Goel, who made her debut at Lakme Fashion Week 2006.
His designs were worn by Kareena Kapoor in the film Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham (2001). He designed for Sushmita Sen in Main Hoon Na (2004), Kajol in Fanaa and he has designed for Preity Zinta and Rani Mukerji in the film Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna (2006). He showcased his new collection in April 2006 at Lakme Fashion Week in Mumbai. Kajol and Preity Zinta, actresses who are friends of the designer, walked the runway for him. He also has designed Kareena Kapoor's wedding outfits. Not only has he designed costumes for Bollywood stars but he has also styled and designed costumes for Hollywood celebrities such as Demi Moore, Kylie Minogue, Reese Witherspoon, Karolina Kurkova, Kate Moss and Naomi Campbell.
His Autumn Winter 2015 couture collection 'The Empress Story' was showcased at Amazon India Couture Week in August 2015 and had Bollywood actress Aishwarya Rai as the showstopper.
- 1999 Bollywood Award for Costume Design - Kuch Kuch Hota Hai
- 2002 Bollywood Awards Designer of Year - Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham
- 2005 Bollywood Awards Designer of Year - Veer Zaara
- 2007 Bollywood Awards Designer of Year - Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna
- Zee Cine Award Zee Cine Award for Costume Design
- Zee Cine Award for Best Costume for Mohabbatein
- 2001 IIFA Award for Best Costume - Mohabbatein
- 2002 IIFA Award for Best Costume for Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham
- 2004 IIFA Award for Best Costume for Kal Ho Naa Ho
- Showtime Opinion Poll Award for Raja Hindustani
- Siemen's Viewer's Choice Award for Dil To Pagal Hai
- Stylish Designer Of the Year at the Elle Style Awards in 1999
- Indo American Society Award for contribution to Fashion Designing
- Indira Priyadarshini Memorial Award for his contribution to the fashion industry
- Manish was Felicitated by National Institute Of Fashion Technology
Costume Design Filmography
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Manish Malhotra.|
- "Profile: Manish Malhotra". India Fashion Week. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- "Manish Malhotra Autumn Winter 2015 Couture Fashion Show Runway Review". Shilpa's Lifestyle Blog.