Manish S. Shah
|Manish Suresh Shah|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois|
Assumed office |
May 1, 2014
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Joan Lefkow|
Manish Suresh Shah|
November 3, 1972
New York City, New York
Stanford University (B.A.)|
University of Chicago Law School (J.D.)
Manish Suresh Shah (born November 3, 1972) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois and former Assistant United States Attorney for the same court.
Born in New York City, Shah received a Bachelor of Arts degree, cum laude, in 1994 from Stanford University. He received a Juris Doctor, cum laude, in 1998 from the University of Chicago Law School. He worked as an associate at the law firm of Heller, Ehrman, White & McAuliffe in San Francisco, California, from 1998 to 1999. He served as a law clerk to Judge James B. Zagel of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois from 1999 to 2001. He served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Northern District of Illinois from 2001-2014. He served as Deputy Chief of the General Crimes Section from 2007 to 2008, Deputy Chief of the Financial Crimes & Special Prosecutions Section from 2008 to 2011, Chief of Criminal Appeals from 2011 to 2012 and previously served as Chief of the Criminal Division.
Federal judicial service
Shah was recommended to fill a judicial vacancy on the District Court for the Northern District of Illinois by Republican Senator Mark Kirk. On September 19, 2013, President Obama nominated Shah to the seat vacated by Judge Joan Lefkow, who took senior status on September 1, 2012. On January 16, 2014 his nomination was reported out of committee. On April 11, 2014 Senate Majority Leader Reid filed a motion to invoke cloture on the nomination. On April 29, 2014 a vote on the motion to invoke cloture on the nomination was agreed to by a vote of 57-40. On April 30, 2014 the nomination was confirmed by a final vote of 95-0. He received his commission on May 1, 2014.
- "President Obama Nominates Eight to Serve on the United States District Courts". 19 September 2013.
- "Shah, Manish Suresh - Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- Korecki, Natasha (June 11, 2013). "Mark Kirk recommends corruption-fighting prosecutor Manish Shah to federal bench. May be first Indian-American federal judge in Northern District". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved February 14, 2014.
- "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate". 19 September 2013.
- "Executive Business Meeting". United States Senate. Committee on the Judiciary. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress - 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 113. United States Senate. Retrieved 29 April 2014.
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress - 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 120. United States Senate. Retrieved 30 April 2014.
- Manish S. Shah at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Manish Shah at Ballotpedia
| Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois