10 September 1978 
Nagercoil, Tamil Nadu, India
|Residence||Pullu, Thrissur, Kerala, India|
|Occupation||Film actress, dancer|
|Years active||1995–1999, 2014–present|
|Relatives||Madhu Warrier (brother)|
Manju Warrier (pronounced: Manchu Vāryar) is an Indian film actress and dancer known for her work in Malayalam films. She is regarded as one of the most successful leading actresses of the Malayalam film industry.
Warrier made her debut in Sakshyam (1995) at the age of 16. Her prominent films include Sallapam, Ee Puzhayum Kadannu, Thooval Kottaram (1996), Kaliyattam, Krishnagudiyil Oru Pranayakalathu (1997), Daya,Pranayavarnangal,Summer in Bethlehem, Kanmadam (1998), and Pathram (1999). She won the National Film Award – Special Jury Award for her performance in Kannezhuthi Pottum Thottu (1999). She won the Kerala State Film Award for Best Actress for the film Ee Puzhayum Kadannu and has won four consecutive Filmfare Award for Best Actress trophies. She got married to actor Dileep in 1998, and quit acting at that time. She made a comeback to cinema after a 14-year sabbatical with the critically and commercially successful film How Old Are You (2014) which fetched her many accolades notably her fifth Filmfare Award for Best Actress.Her latest films are Kamal's Aami, C/O Sairabanu and unconfirmed reports say B Unnikrishnan's Untitled film with Mohanlal.
Manju Warrier was born in Nagercoil to a Malayalee family from Kerala on September 10, 1978. Her father, Madhavan Warrier, was working with Sundaram Finance, Nagercoil regional office. She did her primary schooling in CSI Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Nagercoil. After her father got promoted, they returned to Kerala and settled in Kannur. She studied at Chinmaya Vidyalaya, Kannur and later at Chovva Higher Secondary School. She completed her graduation from SN College, Kannur.
Even at school, Manju showed extra ordinary talent in dance, and won many awards. She was conferred with the Kalathilakam in Kerala Youth Festival for 2 years. She first appeared in a television serial Moharavam which was telecast on Doordarshan. At the age of 17, she debuted in the film Sakshyam (1995). Later at the age of 18, she acted in the movie Sallapam (1996), co-starring Dileep, whom she later married. Since then, she acted in around 20 Malayalam movies over a span of three years.
Her performance in the movie Kannezhuthi Pottum Thottu won a special mention from the jury for National Film Awards. Her other films include Kanmadam and Aaraam Thampuran with Mohanlal, Ee Puzhayum Kadannu and Kudamattam with her husband Dileep, Summer In Bethlahem, Pranayavarnangal, Pathram and Kaliyattam with Suresh Gopi, and Irattakuttikalude Achan, Kaliveedu, Thooval Kottaram and Krishnagudiyil Oru Pranayakalathu with Jayaram.
In 2011, she appeared in the promotion event for the movie Gaddama alongside Samyuktha Varma. On October 24, 2012, she performed Kuchipudi in Guruvayur Sree Krishna Temple. Later in July 2013, she acted in a commercial with Amitabh Bachchan. Her comeback announcement was greeted with much fanfare by fans and the media. In a subsequent interview, she thanked her fans for welcoming her back to the industry and described the opportunity to work with Mr. Bachchan as one of the most memorable experiences of her life. She later appeared in many advertisements for Kalyan Jewellers alongside Amitabh Bacchan, Aishwarya Rai, Akkineni Nagarjuna and Prabhu Ganesan. It was announced that she would make a come back to the Malayalam film industry through Ranjith's untitled project alongside Mohanlal, but this project did not materialize.
Warrier was recently the cynosure of attention as she received the book penned by her friend and actress Navya Nair. Navya has written Navayarasangal and the first copy was received by Manju Warrier from the hands of veteran poet and activist Sugathakumari. Warrier mesmerised the audience in Calicut when she presented a Kuchipudi recital as part of the tribute ceremony of late Mullasseri Raju. She recently published a book titled Sallapam.
She made her much awaited return to cinema with Rosshan Andrrews's How Old Are You in 2014. Manju played the character of Nirupama Rajeev, a UD clerk in Revenue Department. The film earned positive reviews from critics and was received well by the audiences. She followed it by acting in Sathyan Anthikad's Ennum Eppozhum which reunites her with Mohanlal after a gap of 17 years. Her next project was Rani Padmini by Aashiq Abu along with Rima Kallingal released in October 2015. She has a slew of other film projects announced. She acted in Jo and the Boy, her last release in 2015, as an animator. Her first film in 2016 was a cameo appearance in Paavada. Her first full-length role in 2016 was Rajesh Pillai's Vettah, a mind-game thriller, in which she appeared in the role of a police officer for the first time in her career. She acted in a sanskrit stage drama based on Abhijñānaśākuntalam. She was praised by actors, directors among others present at the event. Her next film was Karinkunnam 6S, in which she played the character of Vandana, a Volleyball coach. She film was appreciated by critics. Leader of the Opposition Ramesh Chennithala praised her acting in the movie. She also sang a song for cancer patients, tuned by Ratheesh Vega, which brought in a lot of praises.
Manju married actor Dileep on 20 October 1998 at Aluva Sri Krishna Temple. The couple have a daughter, Meenakshi. Dileep and Manju filed for divorce in 2014 and it was granted in January 2015.
(To be released)
|Untitled Mohanlal -B.unnikrishnan film||TBA|
|Vannam (Tamil Film)||TBA|
|C/O Saira Banu||Saira Banu|
|Vettah||Commissioner Sribala IPS|
|Pavada||Babu's fiancee (Cameo appearance)|
|2015||Jo and the Boy||Jo / Joan Mary John|
|Ennum Eppozhum||Adv. Deepa|
|2014||How Old Are You||Nirupama Rajeev|
|1999||Kannezhuthi Pottum Thottu||Bhadra|
|1998||Summer in Bethlahem||Abhirami|
|Krishnagudiyil Oru Pranayakalathu||Meenakshi|
|Thooval Kottaram||Devaprabha Varma|
|Ee Puzhayum Kadannu||Anjali|
- Moharavam (Doordarshan)
Goodwill and Brand Ambassador
- Kalyan Jewellers
- Meriiboy Ice Cream
- Kitchen Treasures
- ALIFF Brand Ambassador - Cinema for Women
- Goodwill ambassador
- She - Taxi
- Kudumbasree's Organic Farming
- Naipunnya development program
- 2014- Kalasree puraskaram
- Best Actress - Malayalam - 1996 - Ee Puzhayum Kadannu
- Best Actress - Malayalam - 1997 - Aaram Thamburan
- Best Actress - Malayalam - 1998 - Kanmadam
- Best Actress - Malayalam - 1999 - Pathram
- Best Actress - Malayalam - 2014 - How Old Are You?
- Best Actress - 2014 - How Old Are You?
- Best Actress - 2016 - Vettah, Karinkunnam 6S
- Best Actress - 1998 - Kanmadam
- Best Actress - 1999 - Kannezhuthi Pottum Thottu, Pathram
- Best Actress - 2014 - How Old Are You?
- Best actress - 2016 - Vettah, Karinkunnam 6S.
- "It's Mohanlal v/s Manju Warrier this weekend". Rediff.com. 21 May 2014. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
- "Rahman bags 12th Filmfare award". Pvv.ntnu.no. Retrieved 2013-10-19.
- "Manju embraces the pen, with élan". Malayala Manorama. 4 October 2013.[dead link]
- "പ്രവീണയും സിനിമയും പിന്നെ ബിസിനസ് ഉം". mangalamvarika.com. Retrieved 17 November 2015.
- "Sakshyam IMDB Page". Retrieved 2010-05-06.
- "Manju Warrier back on stage after 14 years, The Hindu". Retrieved 2012-10-25.
- "Manju Warrier 'stages' a comeback, The New Indian Express". Retrieved 2012-10-25.
- "Return of the star dancer, Manoramaonline". Retrieved 2012-10-25.
- "മഞ്ജു വാര്യര് ക്യാമറക്കുമുന്നില് തിരിച്ചെത്തി". The Indian Reader. Archived from the original on 19 July 2013. Retrieved 2013-07-15.
- "മലയാള സിനിമാ ആസ്വാദകര് ക്ക് ഇനി ആശ്വാസ നെടുവീര് പ്പിടാം, മഞ്ചു വാര്യരുടെ രണ്ടാമൂഴത്തിന് തുടക്കമായി". The Indian Reader. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- "Welcome Back Manju Warrier". My World of Movies. Retrieved 9 February 2016.
- "Manju Warrier receives the first copy of Navya's book". Cinemalead.com. 12 September 2013.
- "Manju Warrier mesmerizes audience – Manju Warrier Mesmerizes Audience". Cinemalead.com. 21 September 2013. Retrieved 9 February 2016.
- "Manju's 'Sallapam'". The New Indian Express. 5 October 2013. Retrieved 2016-08-21.
- C, Sharika. "Return of the heroine". The Hindu. Retrieved 9 February 2016.
- "I am living for my daughter: says Dileep". The Times of India. Retrieved 9 February 2016.
- "Dileep, Manju Warrier Parting Ways? Couple Files Divorce Petition in Court". International Business Times, India Edition. 19 February 2014. Retrieved 9 February 2016.
- NAFA 2017 Award for Best Actress
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Manju Warrier.|