Mann Ki Baat
This article needs to be updated.September 2015)(
Narendra Modi during Mann ki Baat in 2014
|Country of origin||India|
|Home station||All India Radio|
|TV adaptations||DD National and DD News|
|Recording studio||New Delhi, India|
|Original release||3 October 2014– present|
|No. of episodes||63 till 29 March 2020|
Mann Ki Baat (Hindi: मन की बात; roughly, "Inner Thoughts" or "Heart to Heart") is an Indian radio programme hosted by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in which he addresses the people of the nation on All India Radio, DD National and DD News. Since the first show on 3 October 2014, there have been 63 episodes. The 63rd episode was aired on 29 March 2020.
The Prime Minister, Narendra Modi addresses the nation every month on All India Radio. Having officially started from 3 October 2014, the programme aims to deliver the Prime Minister's voice and ideas to the general masses of India. Since television connection is still not available everywhere in India, especially in the isolated, rural and less developed regions, radio was chosen to be the medium for the programme, owing to its wider reach. An estimated 90% of the total Indian population is reachable over the medium. Doordarshan's Direct to Home (DTH) service free dish relays feeds of the 20-minute-long episodes, to television and radio channels.
The former President of the United States, Barack Obama, was a part of the January edition of 'Mann Ki Baat', which was aired on 27 January 2015. Obama had arrived in India to be a part of the Republic Day Parade.
In the first fifteen addresses of Mann ki Baat broadcast, more than 61,000 ideas were received on the website and 1.43 lakh audio recordings by listeners have been received. Each month, some selected calls become a part of the broadcast. From 2 June 2017, Mann Ki Baat will be available in regional dialects.The aim is to expand reach of the program as far as possible. The 50th episode of the program was broadcast on All India Radio on 25 November 2018.
The programme has been well received by the target audience, especially the urban masses residing in metropolitan cities across the country. A survey in 2014 conducted on the lines of estimating the show's success, in 6 Indian cities including Mumbai and Chennai, has indicated that some 66.7% of the population had tuned in to listen to the Prime Minister's address and had found it useful.
In 2017, an AIR survey found that the maximum listeners came from the Bihar, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh; while the states of Andhra Pradesh and Arunachal Pradesh had the lowest awareness.
Mann Ki Baat became a major source of revenue for the All India Radio. In 2015, the usual ad slots on AIR sold for ₹500 (US$7.00) - ₹1,500 (US$21) per 10 seconds, but a 10-second ad slot for Mann Ki Baat cost ₹2 lakh (US$2,800).
Research and analysis
A week before the PM’s 50th ‘Mann ki Baat’ a telephonic study was carried out by All India Radio. The campaigns mentioned by Modi which had the most impact on listeners were Selfie with Daughter, Incredible India, Fit India and Sandesh to Soldiers. The most remembered topics were the promotion of Khadi, Drug Free India and Team Tarini.
Following the 60th episode on 29 December 2019, Hindustan Times did a word cloud analysis of Mann Ki Baat. The words "India" and "nation" were the two most used words in Mann Ki Baat in 2019. "Water" was used 73 times while "Youth" and "Young" were mentioned 30 and 54 times. "Economy" or "economics" was spoken 8 times.
List of episodes in 2014
|1||2014||3 October||After wishing Vijaydashami, Modi urged the listeners to purchase Khadi clothes to contribute to the prosperity of the poor. He also discussed the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, the success of India's Mars Mission, skill development and disabled children. Modi also discussed various letters and ideas written to him by the citizens of the country.|||
|2||2 November||Modi discussed several Government initiatives, including a scholarship for disabled children and grants to educational institutions for developing infrastructure for such children. He also discussed the positive effects of Swachh Bharat Abhiyan on health. He paid tributes to Indian soldiers, whom he had visited during Diwali in Siachen area. Modi also discussed how sales of khadi had gone up after the mention made in the first episode.|||
|3||14 December||Modi discussed drug abuse, and appealed to the youth to say no to drugs. He also said that the money spent on drugs might be used for funding terrorism. He stated that a toll-free helpline would be set up to help drug addicts and their families. Modi wished everyone a Merry Christmas and the very best for the New Year.|||
List of episodes in 2015
|4||2015||27 January||The US President Barack Obama co-hosted the show with Modi. Obama noted how he was told that this was the "first ever radio address by an Indian Prime Minister and an American President together". Both answered a series of questions from Indian citizens. Modi urged listeners to write in online using the hashtag #YesWeCan.|||
|5||22 February||Modi addressed students, asking them to avoid exam stress and compete with themselves, not others. He said, "This (examination) is not going to be the end of life.... Life is much bigger than just academic examinations." and urged parents not to compare their child's performance with others.|||
|6||22 March||Modi discussed issues of concern to farmers, like soil health, right value for yield and land acquisition. He clarified many misunderstandings about the recent Land Act. Additionally, he addressed several concerns and questions voiced to him by the farmers of India.|||
|7||26 April||PM Modi promised that his government will find a solution to the ‘One rank One Pension’ issue soon. He spoke in length about the new initiatives taken up by his government to fight poverty in the country. The prime minister also congratulated students on their success in the board exams and urged them to choose a career that would help India.|||
|8||31 May||Modi spoke of International Yoga Day, Kisan TV channel and urged people to take care of themselves as well as the birds and animals during the heatwave. Modi also said that One rank One Pension is complicated and not as simple as he thought it was.|||
|9||28 June||Modi spoke about yoga happening all over the world, at France's River Seine and Eiffel Tower, at America's Times Square and Australia's Opera House and even the UN Peace Keeping Force and Indian soldiers at Siachen and by the Indian Navy on their ships and by the citizens at Rajpath. Modi also gave the example of a Vietnamese child doing yoga. Modi urge IT professionals to work towards the mission of spreading yoga. Modi then went to talk about other issues such as that "the work of constructing toilets by the people is on the verge of completion". He also promoted the Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao Yojana and Selfie With Daughter concept.|||
|10||26 July||Modi paid tribute to those who died in the Kargil War and added that "Kargil (war) was not just fought on the borders, but India's every village, city and town has made a contribution." Modi talked about the Deendayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana, to provide electricity to every village in India. He also noted the declining interest in science and technology.|||
|11||30 August||Modi covered various topics such as Jan Dhan Yojana, the 1965 war, the amazing work that Indian scietists are doing, Swachh Bharat and the land acquisition act for farmers.|||
|12||20 September||Modi thanked everyone for a successful one year of Mann ki Baat. Modi talked about Subhas Chandra Bose and how Bose had launched the Azad Hind Radio. He also mentioned the silent revolution of LPG subsidies.|||
|13||25 October||The prime minister spoke about no interview in non-gazette government jobs for Group B, C and D posts and gold monetisation. Modi talked about how the government had acquired the house of BR Ambedkar in United Kingdom. He talked about the message of peace and harmony in his address.|||
|14||29 November||Modi talked about farming and stubble burning after a question was put forward on the MyGov.in website. He also talked about how in 1996 terrorists had shot Jawed Ahmed in Kashmir. Modi described how he despite being disabled he fought back from his injuries. Modi appealed for organ donations, talked about ASHA workers, talked about climate change as well as MUDRA banks.|||
|15||27 December||Modi mentioned how the 125th birth anniversary of B. R. Ambedkar, the maker of the Indian Constitution, will be celebrated in 2016. Modi urged citizens to clean and keep clean the statues of the great men and woman around them in preparation for Republic Day. He also read out letters by citizens on topics such as cleanliness, disabilities and the "Ease of Doing Business".|||
List of episodes in 2016
|16||2016||31 January||Modi started by saying that the day before he went to pay homage to Bapu at Rajghat and other martyrs to express gratitude to those who laid down their lives for the country. Other issues discussed included Khadi, the girl child, cleaning statues of great personalities as Swachta Abhiyan and Samman Abhiyan, Sikkim becoming an organic state, farmers and Fasal Beema Yojana and the International Fleet Review 2016 and the South Asian Federation games being held in India.|||
|17||28 February||Modi shared my his thoughts on examinations and related issues. Sachin Tendulkar, chess champion Vishwanathan Anand and spiritual leader Morari Bapu also shared their thoughts on the topic for the listeners. Modi also took the examples of Srinivas Ramanujam and J.K. Rowling. Modi continued by saying students should not worry about "How much did I score?" but to focus on the greater things in life. He read various messages that had been sent to him. Modi also talked about the Government's decision to install a Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) in India (INDIGO).|||
|18||27 March||Modi started off by extending warmest of greetings to everybody for Easter. Modi talked about sports, the T-20 Cricket World Cup, how India would be hosting the FIFA Under-17 World Cup, football leagues such as the English Premier League, Spanish League and the Indian Super League matches. Modi went on to thank Coal India and talk about Eco-friendly Mine-tourism. Sounds bytes from Abhi Chaturvedi, Shilpa Kukke were played. Digital India, the Kisan Mela, ‘Farmers’ Fair’, World Health Day and free Microscopy Centres to get a health checkup. Modi ended by wishing everybody a auspicious New Year,Vikram Samvat, Gudi Padva, Ugadi.|||
|19||24 April||Modi started off by talking about water shortage problems in various areas of the country and how the citizens are making efforts to correct this. The effort to clean the Ganga was also talked about; whether it is possible or not. Modi also talked about this day being known as Panchayati Raj Day and how the 14 April had been Babasaheb Ambedkar's birthday. The NCC, NSS and the Bharat Scouts and Guides, Red Cross and the Nehru Yuva Kendra were also talked about. Modi mentioned a listeners comment of how only negative things are highlighted by the media.|||
|20||22 May||Water conversation, the board exams, mobile banking, sports and the Olympic games and the coming International Day for Yoga.|||
|21||26 June||Modi talked about how the rains have started in parts of the nation and wished all the farmers for the Monsoon. Scientists were also talked about, including college students who made a satellite that had recently been launched. Modi talked that from the results of the recent examination shows how well 'Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao' is doing. Modi also praised officers Avani Chaturvedi, Bhawana Kanth and Mohana Singh. 25-26 June 1975, the Emergency, was also brought up and how democracy is India's strength and talked about related issues such as how public participation is essential in a democracy. He also talked about a government scheme related to undisclosed incomes.|||
|22||31 July||Modi said that the "Future will be technology driven, embrace it." He also said that the key to future is technology and to lead, one must innovate and participate in nation building process. Modi also talked about the Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) and the death anniversary of President Abdul Kalam. Various health issues were also talked about.|||
|23||28 August||Modi talked about how he got a lot of messages from listeners regarding sports. He mentioned that 29 August was National Sports Day, a tribute to Dhyan Chand. Dr. Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan was also mentioned. Modi praised those who did well in the Rio Olympics such as Dipa Karmakar, Lalita Babar, Abhinav Bindra and Vikas Krishan Yadav. Modi also talked about Kashmir and mentioned how if a life is lost in Kashmir, a youth or security persons, that loss is India's loss.|||
|24||25 September||Uri Attack -tribute to 18 martyred soldiers. Will revenge the culprits.|
|25||30 October||This month's episode sees citizens from various corners of the nation addressing their questions and suggestions to PM Modi|
|26||27 November||Prime Minister Modi talks about India's commitment towards demonetisation. Also he shared some cases, wherein people adopted creative techniques to tackle the discomfort of demonetisation. PM assured that these inconveniences are temporary and things will get back to normal soon. PM Modi announced that we should move to LESS-CASH society and suggested people to adopt e-banking and mobile banking techniques for its achievement. He requested students and youth, which make up to 65% of total population of India, to educate the illiterate and poor people of India about the advantages of the same.|
List of episodes in 2017
|28||2017||29 January||Prime Minister Narendra Modi talks about the mindsets that the youth should possess about exams.|
|29||26 February||Prime Minister appreciated ISRO's recent achievements. He says, "The world has taken notice of India's achievements. This cost effective, efficient space programme of ISRO has become a marvel for the entire world. Prime Minister Modi also mentioned about Digidhan Fought Corruption and requested citizens to promote BHIM, which is a Mobile App developed by National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI)."|
|32||28 May||In this episode PM Narendra Modi said about the International Yoga Day ; Swachh Bharat Abhiyan & others topics.|
|39||31 December||Prime Minister Modi talks about cleanliness, separation of garbage, registration and importance of new millennial voters, and his dream for a new India and the role of positivity in bringing about change.|
List of episodes in 2018
|42||25 March||Prime Minister talks about Preventive Healthcare. He suggested that yoga as a form of preventive healthcare and urged people to adopt it as soon as possible.|||
|50||25 November||Prime Minister Narendra Modi's 50th 'Mann ki Baat' address was all about his gratitude. He thanked and paid tribute to the makers of the Indian Constitution, especially Dr BR Ambedkar, saying he played a pivotal role in drafting the Constituent Assembly. The prime minister also paid a tribute to Guru Nanak Dev in the address.|||
List of episodes in 2019
|54||30 June||It was the first episode of 'Mann ki Baat' by Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi after 2019 Indian General Election. In this episode Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi conveyed his thoughts about The Emergency (India), Water scarcity in India and Yoga.|||
|55||28 July||It was the 2nd episode of Season 2 for Mann Ki Baat which was hosted by Narendra Modi from All India Radio and was telecasted on DD National with DD News. In this episode, Modi talked about Chandrayaan-2 as well as about a new competition for Students. He also encouraged all the Indian Youths to participate in a Quiz[a] on MyGov about the developments of India in area of Science and Space.|||
|57||29 September||In this episode Modi shared a conversation with veteran singer Lata Mangeskar in which he greeted her on the occasion of her birthday. Issues highlighted during the show were - helping the poor on the occasion of various festivals, getting rid of single use plastic, E-cigarette ban and Plogging.|||
|58||27 October||The PM spoke about the Ayodhya land dispute verdict of 2010. He recalled how efforts had been made to polarise the country but despite best efforts unity prevailed.|||
|59||24 November||PM Modi thanked the citizens for accepting the Supreme Court's Ram Janmabhoomi verdict peacefully. he spoke about Fit India Week, National Cadet Corps (NCC) day, Armed Forces Flag Day, Pushkaram festival and the efforts of scuba drivers in cleaning a beach in Visakhapatnam.|||
|60||29 December||Modi talked about India moving ahead in astronomy, mentioning the Inter University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA) and TIFR-National Centre for Radio Astrophysics (NCRA) among other institutions; and also talked about star gazing. Talking about the role of the youth in nation building, the PM said that "Our youth hate anarchy, instability and disorder and dislike casteism and nepotism."|||
List of episodes in 2020
|61||2020||26 January||Modi said violence is not the solution, and those who have adopted it should come back to the mainstream and have faith in the ability to sort out issues peacefully. Modi also talked about the resettlement of the Bru-Reang refugees and sports.|||
|62||23 February||PM Modi urged people to visit Hunar Haat near India Gate in Delhi. He said that nearly three lakh artisans have gained opportunities of employment through the fest.|||
|63||29 March||PM Modi focused on the situation prevailing due to the 2019-20 coronavirus pandemic|||
References and notes
- The quiz is live from 10 August 2019 to 20 August 2019 (and then extended till 25 August 2019) on MyGov App and the winner will be congratulated and will get chance to see live landing of Chandrayaan 2 with Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 7 September at Sriharikota space centre.
- "PM's first radio address 'Mann ki baat': Top 10 quotes", Rediff.com
- "Narendra Modi touches people through his Mann Ki Baat, leaves opposition squirming", Daily News and Analysis, 4 October 2014
- "Modi goes on AIR". The Hindu. 3 October 2014. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- Gyan Varma (October 2014). "Narendra Modi's All India Radio chat show starts Friday". livemint.com/.
- "Prime Minister Modi to address Nation on 'Mann ki Baat' today - Vishwa Gujarat English | DailyHunt". DailyHunt. Retrieved 25 October 2016.
- "Gladdening to read wonderful response to 'Mann Ki Baat' radio address: Modi". Firstpost.
- "Mann Ki Baat from the PM". www.narendramodi.in. 9 October 2014.
- "PM praises comments and ideas received for 'Mann ki Baat' Radio Programme".
- "PM Narendra Modi's Second Round of 'Mann ki Baat' on Radio on November 2". NDTV.com. 22 October 2014.
- "Mann ki Baat: Anyone in India or US can lead the country, says Obama". The Hindu. 27 January 2015. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 25 October 2016.
- "Full transcript of Obama-Modi 'Mann ki baat' - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 25 October 2016.
- "PM Modi to address 16th edition of Mann Ki Baat on Sunday", The Times of India, New Delhi, ANI, 26 January 2016[permanent dead link]
- "PM Narendra Modi to deliver 50th episode of Mann ki Baat today". Hindustan Times. 25 November 2018. Retrieved 24 November 2018.
- Modi's 'man ki baat' was heard by 66% of listeners in 6 cities
- Venugopal, Vasudha (29 November 2018). "AIR gets a feel of listeners' Mann Ki Baat via survey". The Economic Times. Retrieved 1 January 2020.
- "PM Narendra Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' turns big business for All India Radio", The Economic Times, 21 February 2015
- Chatterji, Saubhadra (31 December 2019). "Word cloud analysis of PM Modi's 'Mann ki Baat' and what it tells us". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 1 January 2020.
- "10 highlights from Prime Minister Narendra Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'". dna. 3 October 2014.
- "Modi talks of govt schemes on 'Mann ki Baat' address". The Times of India.
- "Say NO to drugs, it's not cool: PM Modi on Mann ki Baat". 14 December 2014.
- "'Compete with yourself, not others': PM Narendra Modi tells students". Rediff. 24 February 2015.
- "PM Modi's 'Mann ki Baat' with farmers - The Times of India". The Times of India.
- "Narendra Modi's next Mann ki Baat to be telecast on Sunday April 26". news.biharprabha.com. 21 April 2015. Retrieved 21 April 2015.
- "Highlights from PM Modi's 'Mann ki Baat'". The Times of India. 31 May 2015. Retrieved 25 November 2019.
- Every Indian feels proud that Yoga was performed all over the world on June 21: PM Modi in Mann Ki Baat, 28 June 2015
- "PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil martyrs in Mann ki Baat". India Today. 26 July 2015. Retrieved 26 November 2019.
- "Mann ki Baat: Ready to amend land acquisition act for farmers, says PM Modi". India Today. 30 August 2019. Retrieved 26 November 2019.
- "My Mann ki Baat is now nation's Mann ki Baat: PM Narendra Modi". India Today. 20 September 2015. Retrieved 26 November 2019.
- Varma, Gyan (25 October 2015). "Narendra Modi talks peace and harmony in Mann Ki Baat address". Livemint. Retrieved 26 November 2019.
- "PM Modi appeals for donation of organs in Mann Ki Baat". Firstpost. Retrieved 26 November 2019.
- "English Rendering of Prime Minister's "Mann Ki Baat" on All India Radio, 29th November 2015". www.pmindia.gov.in. Retrieved 26 November 2019.
- Desk, Internet (27 December 2015). "As it happened: Modi's 15th 'Mann ki Baat' address". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 27 November 2019.
- Prime Minister's Office. "English rendering of Prime Minister's "Mann Ki Baat" on All India Radio". pib.gov.in. Retrieved 27 November 2019.
- "English rendering of the Text of Prime Minister's 'Mann ki Baat' on All India Radio, 31st January 2016". pib.gov.in. 31 January 2016. Retrieved 9 December 2019.
- "English rendering of the text of Prime Minister's 'Mann ki Baat' on All India Radio". pib.gov.in. 28 February 2016. Retrieved 27 December 2019.
- "English rendering of the text of PM's "Mann Ki Baat" programme on All India Radio". Press Information Bureau. 27 March 2016. Retrieved 27 December 2019.
- "English rendering of the Text of PM's 'Mann Ki Baat' programme on All India Radio (April 24, 2016)". pib.gov.in. Retrieved 27 December 2019.
- "English rendering of the Text of PM's 'Mann Ki Baat' Programme on All India Radio on 22.05.2016". pib.gov.in. Retrieved 27 December 2019.
- "Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi calls for protection of environment". Firstpost. 22 May 2016. Retrieved 23 January 2020.
- "English Rendering of Text of PM's "Mann ki Baat" programme on All India Radio on June 26, 2016". pib.gov.in. Retrieved 23 January 2020.
- "On Mann Ki Baat, PM Recalls Emergency, Says 'Democracy Is Our Strength'". NDTV. 26 June 2020. Retrieved 23 January 2020.
- "English rendering of PM's 'Mann Ki Baat' programme on All India Radio on 31.07.2016". pib.gov.in. Retrieved 25 January 2020.
- "English Translation of the text of PM's 'Mann Ki Baat' Programme on All India Radio on August 28, 2016". pib.gov.in. Retrieved 25 January 2020.
- "PM Narendra Modi Addresses The Nation On 'Mann Ki Baat': Highlights". NDTV. Retrieved 25 January 2020.
- "From Rio to Kashmir: PM Modi's Mann ki Baat touches base with what ails India". Firstpost. Retrieved 25 January 2020.
- "In 'Mann Ki Baat', PM Modi Stresses On Preventive Healthcare". NDTV.com. Retrieved 4 April 2018.
- Mookerji, Nivedita (25 November 2018). "PM Modi to share 50th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' today: What to expect". Business Standard India. Retrieved 26 November 2019.
- "English rendering of PM's address in 53rd episode of Mann Ki Baat on 24.02.2019". pib.gov.in. Retrieved 27 December 2019.
- "English rendering of PM's address in Mann Ki Baat Programme (Episode -41, 25 February 2018)". pib.gov.in. Retrieved 27 December 2019.
- "English rendering of PM's address in 'Mann Ki Baat 2.0'Programme on All India Radio (30.06.2019)". pib.gov.in. Retrieved 27 December 2019.
- "2019 Indian General Election".
- "30 June Mann Ki Baat Episode".
- Maan Ki Baat Episode 55 Highlights
- "English rendering of PM's address in 4th Episode of 'Mann Ki Baat 2.0' on 29.09.2019". pib.gov.in. Retrieved 27 December 2019.
- "Mann Ki Baat Highlights: Country whole-heartedly welcomed verdict on Ram Mandir, says PM Modi". The Indian Express. 24 November 2019. Retrieved 2 January 2020.
- "English rendering of PM's address in the 6th Episode of 'Mann Ki Baat 2.0' on 24.11.2019". pib.gov.in. Retrieved 27 December 2019.
- "Mann Ki Baat: PM urges all schools to celebrate Fit India Week in December every year". The Hindu Business Line. 24 November 2019. Retrieved 2 January 2020.
- "Pune's love for stars, sky gazing finds mention in Mann ki Baat". The Indian Express. 31 December 2019. Retrieved 1 January 2020.
- "PM Modi's last edition of Mann Ki Baat: Here are the top quotes from his speech". India Today. 29 December 2019. Retrieved 1 January 2020.
- Varma, Gyan (26 January 2020). "'Can do' sentiment is growing fast into a mass movement: PM Narendra Modi". Livemint. Retrieved 27 January 2020.
- PTI. "Violence, Weapons Cannot Resolve Issues: PM Modi On "Mann Ki Baat"". NDTV. Retrieved 27 January 2020.
- Bluekraft Digital Foundation (March 2019). Mann Ki Baat – 50 Episodes Special Edition.: A Social Revolution on Radio. New Delhi: Rupa Publications. ISBN 978-9353333577.
- Almedia, Jeroninio Jerry; Panickar, Rajendran (January 2017). Mann Ki Baat From the Heart Of The Mind. New Delhi: Rumour Books India. ISBN 9781945563379.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mann Ki Baat.|