|Directed by||P. Bharathiraja|
|Produced by||Chithra Raamu|
|Written by||Panchu Arunachalam|
|Screenplay by||P. Bharathiraja|
|Story by||P. Kalaimani|
|Edited by||V. Rajagopal|
|29 July 1983|
Mann Vasanai (transl. The Fragrance of Soil) is a 1983 Indian Tamil language film starring debutants Pandiyan and Revathi in the lead roles. Vinu Chakravarthy, Ganthimathi, and Y. Vijaya play other supporting roles. It was remade as Mangammagari Manavadu in 1984 directed by Kodi Ramakrishna in Telugu language.
Love, village feud and circumstances lead a young man to abandon his village and lover and head to the armed forces. Upon his return, his lover realises that things are never going to be the same again.
- Pandiyan as Veeranna
- Revathi as Muthupechi
- Vijayan as Mookkaiyan
- Ganthimathi as Ochaayi
- Nizhalgal Ravi as School Teacher
- Vinu Chakravarthy
- K. K. Soundar
- Janagaraj as School Teacher
- Y. Vijaya
- S. Sathyendra
Pandiyan was selling bangles in Madurai, India when he was spotted by director P. Bharathiraja who offered him the lead role in his film Mann Vasanai. Asha Kelunni Nair was spotted by Bharathiraja, who was searching for a new heroine for the same film, and went on to play the female lead of the film, making her acting debut. She was given the screen name Revathi. While filming the climax scene, Bharathiraja slapped Revathi to ensure that she cried as required for the script, rather than use glycerine.
|Adi Kukkamma||Malaysia Vasudevan, B. S. Sasirekha||Panju Arunchalam||4:23|
|Anantha Thenn||Malaysia Vasudevan, S. Janaki||4:28|
|Arisi Kuthum||Malaysia Vasudevan, S. P. Sailaja||M. G. Vallabhan||4:34|
|Indha Bhoomi||Ilaiyaraaja||Gangai Amaran||2:30|
|Mookarai Mokkamma||Malaysia Vasudevan, B. S. Sasirekha||4:24|
|Poththi Vachcha (Duet)||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, S. Janaki||Vairamuthu||4:29|
|PothiVacha (Lady)||S. Janaki||Vairamuthu||4:29|
|Pothi Vacha (Sad)||S. Janaki||Vairamuthu||4:33|
|Vangadi Vangadi||Malaysia Vasudevan||4:35|
- Ramakrishna, Bhanumathi (2000). Musings. P.B.R. Publications. p. 235.
- Shekar, Anjana (8 January 2018). "From demure to daring, actor Revathy's multi-faceted film career". The News Minute. Retrieved 12 February 2018.
- Ramesh, Neeraja (14 July 2016). "With '16 Vayathinile' slated for re-release, we look at Bharathiraja's failed heroes". The Times of India. Retrieved 12 February 2018.
- Ashok Kumar, S. R. (16 July 2011). "A new effort". The Hindu. Retrieved 12 February 2018.
- Saravanan, T. (9 January 2011). "Always in reckoning". The Hindu. Retrieved 12 February 2018.
- "Chennai director slaps actor on sets, banned for one year". The Times of India. 17 October 2007. Retrieved 10 December 2018.
- "Mann Vasanai (1983)". Raaga.com. Archived from the original on 15 April 2013. Retrieved 21 November 2013.
- Sundararaman (2007) . Raga Chintamani: A Guide to Carnatic Ragas Through Tamil Film Music (2nd ed.). Chennai: Pichhamal Chintamani. p. 155. OCLC 295034757.
- "சினிமா விமர்சனம்: மண் வாசனை" [Movie Review: Mann Vasanai]. Ananda Vikatan (in Tamil). 2 October 1983.
- Selvaraj, N. (20 March 2017). "வெள்ளி விழா கண்ட தமிழ் திரைப்படங்கள்" [Tamil films that completed silver jubilees]. Thinnai (in Tamil). Archived from the original on 29 March 2017. Retrieved 1 February 2019.
- Collections. Update Video Publication. 1991. p. 394.