The suburb gives its name to a local branch of JD Wetherspoon pub, The Mannamead, which is situated on Mutley Plain. The Penguin Lounge, formerly The Tap and Barrel, is a locally owned pub situated on Ashford Crescent.
Mannamead Road, which makes up the majority of the B2350, runs from Manadon Roundabout and Hartley to the North, down to Mutley Plain to the South. This the main traffic route for the area, and as a result hosts a frequent bus service Southbound towards the City Centre. Heading Northbound, there are Plymouth Citybus routes towards the suburbs of Crownhill, Eggbuckland, Efford, Southway, Tamerton Foliot, Whitleigh and Woolwell, as well as Derriford Hospital. Stagecoach South West services use Mannamead Road on the way to Tavistock, whilst a Target Travel route between the City Centre and Hartley Vale serves the backroads of Mannamead, such as Compton Avenue, Rockingham Road and Ashford Road.
Parks and sports
Mutley Park  and Thorn Park  sit very close to each other just off of Mannamead Road to the West of the suburb. To the East of Mannamead, Trefusis Park, or Tippy Park to locals, situated off of Old Laira Road, is seen as a dividing line between Mannamead to the West, Efford and Laira to the East, Compton to the North and Lipson to the South. Tulgey Woods, a popular Bushcraft and Dog walking location, separates Trefusis Park and Grantley Gardens.
There is a Tennis and Badminton club , as well as the Sir Francis Drake Bowling club, situated on Whiteford Road. The Mannamead Lawn-Tennis club, actually situated in Higher Compton, lies next to Collings Park, which is home to many local junior football teams, on Eggbuckland Road.
- Ordnance Survey: Landranger map sheet 201 Plymouth & Launceston (Tavistock & Looe) (Map). Ordnance Survey. ISBN 978-0-319-23287-3.
- Nikolaus Pevsner; Bridget Cherry (2004). The Buildings of England: Devon. London.
- "Our Church". Compton Cofe Primary School. Retrieved 28 November 2017.
- "Mannamead Road on Plymouth Street Map". Street Map Of. Retrieved 28 November 2017.
- "Mutley Park". Plymouth City Council. Retrieved 28 November 2017.
- "Thorn Park". Plymouth City Council. Retrieved 28 November 2017.
- "Trefusis Park". Plymouth City Council. Retrieved 28 November 2017.
- "Find an allotment". Plymouth City Council. Retrieved 28 November 2017.
- "Whiteford Road Tennis & Badminton Club". Whiteford Tennis. Retrieved 28 November 2017.