Mannavanur street scene
|Elevation||1,880 m (6,170 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Mannavanur (Mannavanor, Mannavannur), is a farming village of 1437 households in Mannavanor Panchayat, Dindigul district, Tamil Nadu, India, 35 kilometres (22 mi) west from Kodaikanal  It is 7 kilometres (4 mi) by road from Kumbur village and 9 kilometres (6 mi) from Kilanavayal village. Altitude is 1,880 metres (6,170 ft).
There are 2,980 males and 2,947 females, most of whom are terrace farmers and agricultural laborers growing potatoes, broccoli, French beans, butter beans, carrots, cauliflower, peas, cabbage and garlic. Out of 569 households reporting income, the means of livelihood are: casual labour 279, subsistence cultivation 21, artisan 265, salary 3, and others 1.
The Central Sheep and Wool Research Institution- Sheep Research Center employs four full-time scientists and three technical officers. There is a Branch of the Punjab National Bank near the Research Center building.It caters to all the financial needs of the surrounding villages of- Mannavanur,Kumbur,Keelanavyil,Kavunji,Poondi,Polur and Kilavarai (on the Kerala border).
There is a medical clinic in Mannavanur. Drinking water for most households is supplied from a source within an elevation of less than 100 meters. There is a lack of sanitary latrine facilities. Out of a total of 569 homes: 298 use open defection, 4 use a group latrine with irregular water supply, 263 use a group latrine with regular water supply, none use a clean group latrine with regular water supply and a regular sweeper and only 4 use a private latrine. 
Out of 569 children 5–14 years old, 400 are working and not going to school, 113 are going to school and working and 56 are going to school and not working. There are 2 Panchayat Union Primary School and 2 Panchayat Union Middle Schools, (See photos of one teacher schools in Mannavanor Village. The venue is outdoors.)
Bison, sambar, barking deer, Nilgiri langur, Nilgiri tahr and jungle cats are sighted here. The place is also known for its 165 species of butterflies, 15 types of dabchicks, wood pigeon and the Nilgiri pipit.
Mannavanur is about an hour’s drive from Kodaikanal. Some popular trekking routes pass through the Sheep Center. The route from Kavunji to Kuukkal is fairly difficult.
From Kavunji take a footpath leading to Mannavanur. From there an old footpath leads to the sheep farm. Cross it and reach the Kodaikkanal road. Follow the road to Kukkal. Enroute, the meadows of sheep farm is pleasant. Near Kukkal you see the caves where ancient men were living. Deer are common.
Tourists are required to get permission from the Forest Department to trek in the forest areas. Please contact : Government of Tamil Nadu, Tourist Office, Annasalai,Kodaikanal, PH; 04542- 241675. A trekking map is available from them.
Nature's Trust has set up a base camp called Camper's Club on a 26-acre (11 ha) plot. There are eight small cottages with basic facilities. It organises educational tours and treks (there are 21 routes). They offer a short course in eco-technology and training in clay modelling, homemade chocolates, dry flower arrangements and natural dye painting on T-shirts.
The Camper's Club is the only accommodation available in Mannavannur. For prior booking, contact D1, Saibaba Colony, No.1 Kannagai Street, East Tambaram, Chennai. Ph.: 94444-77358.
Visitors to the Sheep Research Center should first see the officer-in-charge at the main office building. Educational institutions can get permission from the officer-in-charge for small groups to camp overnight.
- "Census India: Tamil Nadu villages, Mannavanur". Census of India 2001. Government of India. 27 May 2002. p. 1. Retrieved 2008-10-15.
- Government of Tamil Nadu, Rural Development and Panchayat Raj Department, DISTRICT - DINDIGUL, BLOCK - KODAIKANAL, Literacy Status of the Highest Literate Adult S. 81-86, 2007
- Government of Tamil Nadu, Rural Development and Panchayat Raj Department, DISTRICT - DINDIGUL, BLOCK - KODAIKANAL, Village Name - mannavanur, MEANS OF LIVELIHOOD
- Branches of Punjab National Bank-MANNAVANUR #2847
- Government of Tamil Nadu, Rural Development and Panchayat Rej Department, DRINKING WATER FACILITY (In Hilly Areas) S. 81-86, 2008
- Government of Tamil Nadu, Rural Development and Panchayat Raj Department, SANITATION STATUS, DISTRICT - DINDIGUL, BLOCK - KODAIKANAL, Village Name - mannavanur, Type Of Sanitation S. 81-86, 2008.
- , STATUS OF CHILDREN
- Government of Tamil Nadu, Department of School Education, Tamil Nadu Schools Koombur
- India Development and Relief Fund, Mannavanoor Village
- Soma, Basu (2005-09-03). "Grasslands, Sholas, Bison". The Hindu. Retrieved 2009-06-21.
- District Collectorate, Dindigul, National Informatics Centre, DESCRIPTION OF TREKKING ROUTES, 12. Kavunji – Kuukkal (Fairly difficult)
- Mannavanur Sheep Station