Manny Pacquiao vs. Juan Manuel Márquez III
|Date||November 12, 2011|
|Venue||MGM Grand Garden Arena|
|Title(s) on the line||WBO welterweight title|
|Tale of the tape|
|Manny Pacquiao via Majority Decision|
Manny Pacquiao vs. Juan Manuel Márquez III, billed as The 25th Round Begins, was a boxing championship bout for the WBO welterweight title. The bout was on November 12, 2011, at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada and was distributed by HBO PPV. The fight marked a return to HBO for Pacquiao.
Pacquiao and Marquez previously met twice. Their first fight, on May 8, 2004, at the MGM Grand, ended in a draw. They fought again on March 15, 2008, at the Mandalay Bay, where Pacquiao won via a split decision. This led up to the rubber match and to Pacquiao's trainer, Freddie Roach, saying he wanted to leave "all doubt behind."
HBO's 24/7 broadcast on CNN on free cable and in addition to the HBO Deal, Pacquiao-Marquez III was promoted during the Major League Baseball playoffs on TBS. A four-city press tour covering three countries and an estimated 25,000 miles started on September 3 in Pacquiao's adopted hometown Manilla, Philippines, and ended on September 8 in Marquez's home of Mexico City, Mexico. The bout marked the 2nd time Márquez jumped from Lightweight to Welterweight. His first attempt was a September 2009 loss to Floyd Mayweather, Jr., who was making his return to boxing.
National anthem singers
- Philippines (Lupang Hinirang) – Maria Aragon
- Mexico (Himno Nacional Mexicano) – Cristian Castro
- USA (The Star-Spangled Banner) – Thia Megia
"No me se rajar " was the mariachi song that accompanied Marquez in his entrance. It was performed by Raul Sandoval, a popular Mexican mariachi singer.
- Glenn Trowbridge
- Dave Moretti
- Robert Hoyle
Even though Pacquiao won a close decision, Marquez's fans in the audience believed Marquez had won the fight. Some of the audience reacted to the decision by hurling food, beer, and ice; a can of beer hit a ringside writer, though no record of any injuries exists. The Ring, which produces its own version of boxing's lineal championships, scored the bout in different ways: its editor, Michael Rosenthal, scored the bout 115-113 for Pacquiao; two of its writers, Lem Satterfield and Mike Koppinger, scored the bout 117-111 and 115-113 for Marquez, respectively, and another writer, Doug Fischer scored it a draw. Some Filipino TV news networks and their internet news websites showed photos of Marquez stepping on Pacquiao’s foot six times. However, such occurrences are common between orthodox and southpaw fighters as they attempt to keep their lead foot on the outside of their opponent's. Freddie Roach has addressed the Juan Manuel Marquez "foot-stomping" issue that has become a much discussed topic among Manny Pacquiao fans; he understands that when southpaws and orthodox fight, feet will inevitably collide. According to Compubox, Marquez was outlanded an average of 3 punches per round (14 to 11 punches landed). Pacquiao also threw 142 punches more than Marquez and landed 38 more punches connecting at a higher percentage rate in power shots than Marquez and although Marquez landed at a higher rate in jabs was outlanded 59 to 38.
- Welterweight Championship bout: Manny Pacquiao vs. Juan Manuel Márquez
- Pacquiao defeats Márquez via Majority Decision. (114-114, 115-113, 116-112)
- Light Welterweight Championship bout: Timothy Bradley vs. Joel Casamayor
- Bradley defeats Casamayor via technical knockout at 2:59 of the eight round.
- Light Welterweight bout: Mike Alvarado vs. Breidis Prescott
- Alvarado defeats Prescott via technical knockout at 1:53 of the tenth round.
- Super Featherweight bout: Juan Carlos Burgos vs. Luis Cruz
- Burgos defeats Cruz via Majority Decision. (92-98, 95-95, 93-97)
- Super Lightweight bout: José Benavidez vs. Samuel Santana
- Benavidez defeats Santana via Unanimous Decision. (60-50, 60-50, 60-50)
- Featherweight bout: Victor Pasillas vs. Jose Garcia
- Pasillas defeats Garcia via Unanimous Decision. (40-36, 40-36, 40-36)
- Welterweight bout: Dennis Laurente vs. Ayi Bruce
- Laurente defeats Bruce via knockout at 0:57 of the seventh round.
- Super Flyweight bout: Fernando Lumacad vs. Joseph Rios
- Lumacad defeats Rios via Unanimous Decision. (74-77, 73-77, 72-78)
Main event score card
|Title: WBO Junior Welterweight||Referee: Tony Weeks||Supervisor: Francisco Valcaroel|
|Date: November 12, 2011||Venue: MGM Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas||Promoter: Top Rank|
|FINAL SCORE||114||–||114||FINAL SCORE||FINAL SCORE||115||–||113||FINAL SCORE||FINAL SCORE||116||–||112||FINAL SCORE|
|Judge: Robert Hoyle||Judge: Dave Moretti||Judge: Glenn Trowbridge|
|Suspensions: None||Point deductions: None||Decision: Manny Pacquiao by majority decision|
Reported fight earnings
- Manny Pacquiao guaranteed $22 million vs. Juan Manuel Márquez $5 million
- Timothy Bradley $1,025,000 vs. Joel Casamayor $100,000
- Mike Alvarado $75,000 vs. Breidis Prescott $35,000
- Luis Cruz $35,000 vs. Juan Carlos Burgos $22,500
|Belgium||Be Sport 1|
|Czech Republic||Sport 1|
|Denmark||TV 2 Sport|
|Estonia||Viasat Sport Baltic|
|Latvia||Viasat Sport Baltic|
|Lithuania||Viasat Sport Baltic|
|Malaysia||Astro Box Office|
|Mexico||Azteca (multimedia conglomerate)|
|New Zealand||Sky Arena|
|Philippines||GMA Network (terrestrial, delayed)|
|Solar Sports (cable, delayed)|
|Solar All Access (pay, live)|
|Qatar||Al Jazeera Sports|
|United States||HBO PPV|
|US Military via AFN Sports|
- "Main Lead - Pacquiao and Marquez Announce Their Rubber (Mis?)Match". Max Boxing. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- Rafael, Dan (August 5, 2011). "Marquez, Pacquiao may have third fight". ESPN. Retrieved September 3, 2011.
- Iole, Kevin (August 5, 2011). "Pacquiao returns to HBO PPV for Marquez fight". Yahoo Sports. Retrieved September 3, 2011.
- Satterfield, Lem (August 26, 2011). "Pacquiao-Marquez III tour slated for early September". Ring TV. Retrieved September 3, 2011.
- "Pacquiao vs Marquez III press tour pictures". Boxing Futures. August 26, 2011. Retrieved September 3, 2011.
- Ragpala, Kenneth (September 2, 2011). "Manny Pacquiao-Juan Manuel Márquez III already past valid point". Filipino Boxing Journal. Retrieved September 3, 2011.
- "Boxing News 24 - Pacquiao vs Marquez III draws 1.4 million PPV". boxingnews24.
- "Pacquiao vs Marquez III Could Hit14 Million PPV Buys". BoxingScene.com.
vs. Shane Mosley
|Manny Pacquiao's bouts
November 12, 2011
vs. Timothy Bradley
vs. Likar Ramos
|Juan Manuel Márquez's bouts
November 12, 2011
vs. Serhiy Fedchenko