||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2010)|
Parra pitching for the Cincinnati Reds in 2014
October 30, 1982 |
|July 20, 2007, for the Milwaukee Brewers|
(through 2015 season)
|Earned run average||4.90|
Manuel Alex "Manny" Parra (born October 30, 1982) is an American professional baseball pitcher who is a free agent. He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Milwaukee Brewers and Cincinnati Reds.
Parra graduated from Casa Roble High School in 2000, and American River College in 2002. While playing in high school, he also played first base. He was named the National Junior College Player of the Year in 2002 by Baseball America.
On June 25, 2007, Parra pitched a perfect game against the Round Rock Express while playing for the Triple-A Nashville Sounds. This was only the third nine-inning perfect game in Pacific Coast League history.
At the conclusion of the season, Parra had a 10-8 record. His 17 wild pitches tied for the most in the majors. His split-finger fastball was the most effective among major league starting pitchers.
On June 6, 2010, Parra became the 52nd Major League pitcher to strike out four batters in an inning. He did so against the St. Louis Cardinals.
After having missed the entire 2011 season, Parra and the Brewers agreed on a 1-year deal on January 12, 2012.
On February 1, 2013, the Cincinnati Reds signed Parra to a one-year contract. He pitched in the bullpen with the Reds as a middle reliever. On April 26, he was placed on the disabled list with a strained pectoral muscle, and he missed almost a month. From June 11 to July 28, he had a 19 game, 15.1 inning scoreless streak. In a year where he filled in for the high expectations of Sean Marshall, he shined, going 2-3 with a 3.33 ERA and 16 holds, striking out 56 in 46 innings (57 games). He entered June with a 6.23 ERA, and starting on June 11 to the end of the season, he had a 1.78 ERA in 35.1 innings.
On November 27, 2013, Parra agreed to a two-year, $5.5 million contract with Cincinnati.
- Manny Parra's perfect game
- List of Major League Baseball pitchers who have struck out four batters in one inning
- Cunningham, Michael; Olson, Drew (2 June 2002). "Brewers say signing prospect a draft bonus". Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. p. 3C. Retrieved 28 July 2010.
- "Pacific Coast League No-hit Games". Pacific Coast League. Minor League Baseball. Retrieved April 8, 2015.
- "Milwaukee Brewers Agree to Terms with Manny Parra".
- Gleeman, Aaron (May 24, 2013). "Reds reliever Sean Marshall goes back on the disabled list". NBC Sports.
- Sheldon, Mark (November 27, 2013). "Reds re-sign reliever Parra to two-year contract". MLB.com.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Manny Parra.|