Manor Park, London
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2008)|
Manor Park is a residential area in the London Borough of Newham. It is bordered by Forest Gate to the west, and further west lies Stratford, home to Stratford Westfield City and the 2012 Olympic Park.
Romford Road – a stretch of the A118 road – runs for much of its length in Newham, and provides the main road route through Manor Park, linking many of Newham’s districts running towards Ilford.
The main public transport link is Manor Park railway station, which is on the Great Eastern main line and also the planned Crossrail 1 route. Trains to Liverpool Street station run every ten minutes. Nearby Woodgrange Park station is on the Barking to Gospel Oak line, which is part of London Overground. Both stations are in Travelcard Zone 3.
Round the corner from Manor Park railway station lies the Durham Road Conservation Zone, which is a small late-Victorian suburb. It was designated a Conservation Area in 1984 to retain its original charm and character. Additional planning controls were introduced in 1998 to protect and enhance its special character. The area, popularly referred to as Manor Park Village, was originally developed in the 1880s on farmland that formed part of the Gurney estate. It was built by one builder to an overall plan, with a limited range of house styles giving the area a distinctive character and unity. The developers, the Corbett family, built several suburban estates including the adjacent Woodgrange Estate in Forest Gate.
Manor Park's Itchycoo Park (officially Little Ilford Park) was made famous in a song by the Small Faces, whose lead singer Steve Marriott lived in the area. Manor Park also has an amateur football team called A.C. Manor Park playing in the AFL. [clarification needed]
Notable people associated with Manor Park
- Matt Taylor (scientist), Space scientist, who landed the Rosetta spacecraft on a comet.
- Jimmy Greaves, Tottenham Hotspur striker with many records of achievement. Best England international strike rate ever with 44 goals in only 57 matches.
- Jack Cornwell, teenage recipient of the Victoria Cross, grew up in Manor Park and is buried at the Manor Park Cemetery
- George Drewry, Victoria Cross recipient
- Greer Garson, Oscar-winning film actress, born in Manor Park in 1904
- Bobby George, darts player and pundit
- Stanley Holloway, actor, born at 25 Albany Road (at which there is an English Heritage blue plaque erected in 2009)
- Steve Marriott, lead singer and guitarist of Small Faces and Humble Pie, was born in Manor Park
- Kele Okereke, lead singer of Bloc Party, is from Manor Park
- Kevin Clark, Lead singer/writer/producer Definition of SoundBetty Boo,Duran Duran,Desree,Beats International,Teenage Ninja Turtles soundtrack, he then went onto have a successful career as an Executive with EMI,Universal,Sony,Sony/Atv, records and publishing.Clark also ran his own successful publishing company in joint venture with Peer Music later selling the company to Sony/Atv.Is from Manor Park
- Clive Burr, Drummer with Iron Maiden, grew up in Manor Park.
- Michael Blaney, World War II bomb disposal officer from Newry, who died when a bomb he was trying to defuse exploded in Manor Park. Blaney Cresecent in East Ham is named after him. Awarded the George Cross.
- For details of education in Manor Park see the List of schools in the London Borough of Newham
A number of council-run, charity-supported and independent community centres and education initiatives are active in the area:
- The Froud Centre
- Hathaway Community Centre
- Jack Cornwell Community Centre
- Manor Park Community Centre
- Manor Park Library
- London Tamil Sangam
- Trinity Community Centre
- The Techshop, Studio E12 and TradeSkills E12
- "Earl of Essex public house". National Heritage List for England. English Heritage. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
- "Michael Blaney and Raymond Kelly honoured in Newry". BBC News. BBC. Retrieved 7 December 2013.
- Manor Park Village / Durham Road Conservation Zone Website
- The Newham Story
- The Newham Story Forum
- The Techshop, StudioE12 and TradeSkills E12 homepages
- Manor Park Facebook group Page