This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Horizonal version of logo used since 2011
ManpowerGroup World Headquarters building in downtown Milwaukee since 2007-09-17
|Founded||1948Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USAin|
|Headquarters||Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA|
Number of locations
|2700 offices in 80 countries and territories (2017)|
|Over 3 million people placed into work, including 500,000 in permanent work (2016)|
|Revenue||US$21.034 billion (2017)|
|US$788 million (2017)|
|US$545 million (2017)|
|Total assets||US$8.884 billion (2017)|
|Total equity||US$2.775 billion (2017)|
Number of employees
|~29,000 (December 2017)|
Footnotes / references|
ManpowerGroup (formerly known as Manpower Inc.) is a Fortune 500 American multinational corporation headquartered in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Founded in 1948 by Elmer Winter and Aaron Scheinfeld, ManpowerGroup is the third-largest staffing firm in the world behind Swiss firm Adecco and Dutch firm Randstad. The company provides administrative & support services, professional services, and business services through its four primary brands: Manpower (contingent staffing & permanent recruitment), Experis (professional resourcing and project-based solutions), Right Management (career management, workforce consulting, and training & development), and ManpowerGroup Solutions (managed services and outsourcing).
In 1948, Manpower was founded in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, by attorneys Elmer Winter and Aaron Scheinfeld. The first offices were located in Milwaukee and Chicago, Illinois. In 1954, Manpower continued expanding in the United States by offering franchise business opportunities in addition to company owned branch offices. In 1956 the company became an international company:
- 1956 - offices in Montreal and Toronto, Canada.
- 1956 - offices in the UK
- 1957 - offices opened in France
- 1963 - opened in South America
- 1964 - presence in Asia
In 1962, Manpower launched the Employment Outlook Survey, which covers 39 countries.
In 1976, upon Elmer Winter's retirement, Manpower was sold to The Parker Pen Company. It became independent again in 1986, and a year later was acquired by Blue Arrow of the United Kingdom. It again became independent in 1991.
Elmer Winter died on October 22, 2009 at the age of 97.
On 30 March 2011, Manpower Inc. changed its name to ManpowerGroup to better reflect its offerings. Under the parent brand, ManpowerGroup's working brands became known as ManpowerGroup Solutions, Manpower, Experis and Right Management.
As of 2011, ManpowerGroup had over 3,900 offices in 82 countries and an "office" in web based online universe Second Life. In 2010, the company's total sales equaled US$19 billion worldwide. ManpowerGroup's customer base stands at approximately 400,000 companies. The number of direct staff ManpowerGroup has is estimated at more than 30,000 and the agency employs more than 4.4 million workers each year. ManpowerGroup is a Fortune 500 company.
ManpowerGroup has several brands including: Manpower, Experis (Professional Resourcing), Right Management (Outplacement and Talent Management), and ManpowerGroup Solutions (RPO, MSP, and Talent Based Outsourcing). Experis was formed through merger of Elan (acquired in 2000), Jefferson Wells (acquired in 2001), and Manpower Professional.
In 2007, it acquired Clarendon Parker, an employment business based in the Middle East; in April 2011 it acquired WDC, an IT services and staffing company in India.
- Professional employer organization
- Employment agency
- Temporary work
- UK agency worker law
- "Manpower Inc. 2017 Annual Report (Form 10-K)". sec.gov. U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. February 2018.
- Rovito, Rich (2007-09-04). "Manpower set to begin move to downtown Milwaukee". Milwaukee Business Journal. Retrieved 2017-09-25.
- "ManpowerGroup Company History". ManpowerGroup. Retrieved 2017-09-22.
- "ManpowerGroup Corporate Fact Sheet 2017" (PDF). ManpowerGroup. Retrieved 2017-09-22.
- "ManpowerGroup Corporate Fact Sheet 2016" (PDF). ManpowerGroup. Retrieved 2017-09-22.
- "Annual Report 2016, ManpowerGroup Inc" (PDF). ManpowerGroup. Retrieved 2017-09-22.
- "Subsidiaries and Affiliates, ManpowerGroup Inc". ManpowerGroup. Retrieved 2017-09-22.
- "SIA Announces Largest Global Staffing Firms" (Press release). Mountain View, California: Staffing Industry Analysts (SIA). 2016-08-18. Retrieved 2017-09-25.
- "ManpowerGroup: Our Brands" (Annual Report). ManpowerGroup. 2006. Retrieved 2017-09-25.
- "Fortune Global 500 2009: The World's Biggest Companies - Manpower - MAN". Money.cnn.com. 2009-07-20. Retrieved 2012-05-31.
- Milton, Tina (2000-01-13). "Manpower to acquire Elan". Computer Weekly.
- "About Us". Experis. Retrieved 2014-02-22.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Manpower Inc..|