Manpreet Singh Badal
May 1995 - March 2012
|Preceded by||Raghubir Singh (politician)|
|Succeeded by||Amrinder Singh Raja Warring|
March 2017 -
|Minister for Finance & Planning|
March 2007- October 2010
|Preceded by||Surinder Singla|
|Succeeded by||Upinderjit Kaur|
|Born||26 July 1962
|Political party||Indian National Congress|
Manpreet Singh Badal (born 26 July 1962) is an Indian politician and leader of the Indian National Congress. He has been member of Punjab Legislative Assembly from 1995 to 2012 and served as a finance minister in the government of Parkash Singh Badal from 2007-2010.
Manpreet Singh Badal was born on 26 July 1962 in Muktsar. His father is Gurdas Singh Badal, the brother of Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal. Manpreet Singh Badal attended The Doon School and St. Stephen's College, Delhi. He was subsequently awarded a law degree by the University of London.
Shiromani Akali Dal
He was elected to the Punjab Legislative Assembly in May 1995 on a Akali Dal ticket from Gidderbaha. He was re-elected from Gidderbaha constituency in 1997, 2002 and 2007. In 2007 he was made finance minister in Parkash Singh Badal government. He was removed from this post over difference about debt waiver offer from the Centre with the rest of party. Subsequently he was expelled from the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) in October 2010.
People's Party of Punjab
He formed a new political party called People's Party of Punjab. In the 2012 Punjab elections, his party formed political alliance with CPI, CPM and Shiromani Akali Dal (Longowal) with Badal as their candidate for the office of chief minister. He contested the elections from the Gidderbaha and Maur constituencies, losing from both seats.
- Manpreet-Father Visit CM’s Wife
- Badal allocates portfolios
- Punjab Finance Minister sacked
- Manpreet Profile
- Pubby, Vipin (14 October 2010). "Badal vs Badal". Express India. Retrieved 12 July 2012.
- To take on Badals in Gidderbaha, among Congress contenders: Amarinder Singh
- Knives were out for Manpreet after Sukhbir cancelled trip
- Manpreet Badal resigns as MLA; likely to float new party
- "Manpreet Badal resigns as MLA; likely to float new party". Indian Express.com. 26 March 2011. Retrieved 15 May 2011.
- Shiromani Akali Dal expels rebel leader
- "Manpreet Singh Badal floats new party". Economic Times. 27 March 2011. Retrieved 12 July 2012.
- Manpreet Badal's ouster breaks bond of Badals
- Manpreet sacked as Punjab Finance Minister
- Another Badal rises on Punjab's political horizon
- Sanjha Morcha blows poll bugle
- Manpreet plays safe, picks Maur as second seat
- Punjab elections: Manpreet Badal finds himself a rebel without a cause
- Manpreet loses both seats, father Gurdas his deposit
- "पंजाबः सीएम बादल के भतीजे मनप्रीत अपनी पार्टी सहित कांग्रेस में शामिल". Dainik Jagran. 15 January 2016.