Mansard Roof (song)
|Single by Vampire Weekend|
|from the album Vampire Weekend|
|Released||October 23, 2007|
|Genre||Indie pop, Afrobeat|
|Songwriter(s)||Rostam Batmanglij, Ezra Koenig, Christopher Tomson and Chris Baio|
|Vampire Weekend singles chronology|
|Vampire Weekend track listing|
"Mansard Roof" is the debut single by indie rock band Vampire Weekend, released on October 23, 2007.
"Mansard Roof" was the first song from Vampire Weekend's album to have a video. The video was filmed in Perth Amboy, New Jersey. The main scene in the video, directed by Alexis Boling, is set on a yacht and uses still frames. The Guardian writer Anna Pickard wrote a commentary about the song, discussing the song itself as "one of the happiest, summeriest songs you could ever imagine" and humorously describing the band as "a bunch of nice little boys on a sailboat having some tea and deciding to be in the sixties [...] whilst experimenting with African pop rhythms and retro shades."
Drowned in Sound described Koenig's vocals as sounding "as if on a day out from the institution, picking geraniums and wavering with the beauty of the world outside" and said that "whilst utterly unconvincing" that there was "something unwholesomely satisfying about it all". The single was summarised as, "unnervingly gratifying mundane schlop". Pitchfork Media described the keyboard as being "set to a perky, almost piping tone, the kind of sunny sound you'd hear in old west-African pop". Drowned in Sound decried the branding of the band as "afro-pop" and said the single was "far from the 'afro-pop' hyperbole." 
Click Music described the two tracks as "beautiful, high-brow indie-pop sparklers that feel like sunshine and roll through the body like smoke expelled from Sinatra's lungs" and said that "Mansard Roof" was "jazzy and bright, trimmed with bulging afro-beats" and called "Ladies of Cambridge" "as stellar as the title-track".
- "Mansard Roof" – 2:09
- "Ladies of Cambridge" – 2:39
- Ezra Koenig - lead vocals, guitar, piano
- Rostam Batmanglij - organ, Chamberlin
- Chris Tomson - drums
- Chris Baio - bass
- Hamilton Berry - cello
- Pickard, Anna. "Pickard of the pops: Mansard Roof by Vampire Weekend". The Guardian. Retrieved 2008-06-26.
- Richardson, Mark (2008-01-07). "Video: Vampire Weekend: "A-Punk"". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved 2008-07-24.
- Abebe, Nitsuh (2008-06-19). "Vampire Weekend: Vampire Weekend". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved 2008-01-28.
- Strang, Samuel (2007-11-05). "Vampire Weekend: Mansard Roof". Drowned in Sound. Retrieved 2008-06-19.
- Good, Daniel. "Vampire Weekend - Mansard Roof". Click Music. Retrieved 2008-06-20.
- Vampire Weekend on XL Recordings - Album page on record label's site
- "Mansard Roof" music video - as provided by record label on YouTube
|This 2000s rock song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|