Mansour F. Armaly
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (April 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Armaly was born in Shefa Amr, Palestine, prior to the establishment of the state of Israel. He received his B.A. (1947) and M.D. (1951) from the American University of Beirut in Lebanon. After completing his residency in Beirut at the American University Hospital, he left in 1955 to attend the University of Iowa, from which he received the M.Sc. in 1957. Armaly became an American citizen and joined the university's faculty, remaining for thirteen years.
In 1970, he accepted a position as professor and chairman of the Department of Ophthalmology at the George Washington University Medical Center, in Washington, D.C., serving in that role for 27 years, until 1996. From 1980 to 1987, Armaly served as President of the Pan-American Glaucoma Society. He died of cancer at the hospital where he had long worked at the age of 78.
Armaly was a member of the University of Iowa Department of Ophthalmology faculty from 1958–1970.
The Lecture Recipients have been nominated since 2004: 2004 Robert N. Weinreb, MD; 2005 David L. Epstein, MD; 2006 Richard L. Abbott, MD; 2007 M. Bruce Shields, MD; 2008 Michael A. Kass, MD 
Selection of Scholar Publications
- The cup-disc ratio. The findings of tonometry and tonography in the normal eye, Arch Ophthalmol. 1969 Aug;82(2):191-6, Armaly MF, Sayegh RE
- GENETIC FACTORS RELATED TO GLAUCOMA, Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, Volume 151 Issue 1, Pages 861 – 874, Mansour F. Armaly
- The Effect of Pilocarpine Ocusert With Different Release Rates on Ocular Pressure, Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science. 1973;12:491–496, Mansour F. Armaly and K. R. RAO
- The Des Momes population Study of Glaucoma, Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science. 1962;1:618–628, Mansour F. Armaly
- "Mansour Armaly, 78, Leader of Early Study of Glaucoma, Dies," New York Times, September 19, 2005. (Requires registration.)
- Mansour F. Armaly Lectureship, University of Iowa