Location of Mantua in Fairfax County, Virginia
|Fairfax County, Virginia|
|• Total||2.37 sq mi (6.15 km2)|
|• Land||2.36 sq mi (6.10 km2)|
|• Water||0.02 sq mi (0.06 km2)|
|Elevation||371 ft (113 m)|
|• Density||3,031/sq mi (1,170.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1495049|
Mantua is a census-designated place (CDP) in Fairfax County, Virginia, United States. Mantua is a highly desired bedroom community serving as a suburb to the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. Most of the homes in Mantua were built between the 1950s and the 1980s. The population was 7,135 at the 2010 census.
Mantua is located in central Fairfax County at  It is bordered to the west by the city of Fairfax, to the north by Merrifield, to the east by Woodburn, to the southeast by Wakefield, and to the south by Long Branch. The northern border of the CDP follows U.S. Route 50 (Arlington Boulevard), the southern border follows Virginia State Route 236 (Little River Turnpike), and the eastern border follows Prosperity Avenue. The Capital Beltway (Interstate 495) is 2 miles (3 km) to the east, and downtown Washington is 14 miles (23 km) to the east.(38.852012, -77.257675).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the Mantua CDP has a total area of 2.4 square miles (6.2 km2), of which 0.023 square miles (0.06 km2), or 0.91%, is water. Accotink Creek, a tributary of the Potomac River, flows through the northern part of the CDP, and Crook Branch, a tributary of Accotink Creek, flows through the southern part.
As of the 2010 census, there were 7,135 people, 2,628 households, and 1,936 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 3,031.0 people per square mile. There were 2,766 housing units at an average density of 716.3 per square mile (276.6/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 73.5% White, 19.7% Asian, 2.6% African American, 0.3% Native American, 1.2% from other races, and 2.7% from two or more races. Hispanics and Latinos of any race were 6.2% of the population.
The median age was 46.1 years. 25.6% of the population was under the age of 18, 6.3% was 18 to 24, 18.6% was 25 to 44, 31.7 was 45 to 64, and 17.8% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the community was 48.2% male and 51.8% female.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $112,008. About 3.8% of families and 5.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.6% of those under the age of 18 and 7.2% of those 65 and older.
Primary and secondary schools
The Mantua/Frost/Woodson School Pyramid is highly desired. Mantua's Principal Jan-Marie Fernandez was awarded the "2010 National Distinguished Principal for Virginia" and Woodson HS is consistently ranked in the U.S. News & World Report's "Top 100 US Public High Schools" in America.
Elementary schools serving Mantua include:
- Mantua Elementary School "Jan-Marie Fernandez, 2010 National Distinguished Principal for Virginia".
- Fairhill Elementary School
Secondary schools serving Mantua include:
In addition, some Frost students may gain acceptance to Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology. Often ranked in the top five high schools in America.
 Nearby private schools include:
- Gerry Connolly, member of the United States House of Representatives
- Stephen E. Gordy, member of the Virginia House of Delegates
- Augusto and Michaela Odone, subjects of the 1992 film Lorenzo's Oil starring Nick Nolte and Susan Sarandon
- Lorenzo Odone, notable ALD patient
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Mantua CDP, Virginia". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved October 12, 2016.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census Designated Place (CDP) Program for the 2010 Census – Final Criteria" (PDF). Federal Register (Volume 73, Number 30). February 13, 2008. Retrieved March 31, 2016.
- "Schools." Mantua.
- "Private/Parochial Schools." Mantua.
- Gordy-Fairfield Heats Chilly Night in Fairfax City,' Washington Post, Patricia Davis, October 10, 1985
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mantua, Virginia.|