Manuel D. Medina
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Manuel D. Medina
|Former chairman of the board, president, CEO at Terremark Worldwide|
|Alma mater||Florida Atlantic University, Bachelor of Science degree in 1974|
Medina was born in Matanzas, Cuba, and left in 1965, when he was 13. His parents left Cuba because of the extensive political changes in the country, and moved to Miami. Manny Medina went to school there and took an early interest in business. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting from Florida Atlantic University in 1974.
Medina was the chairman of the board, president, and CEO of Terremark. He also holds the position of chairman and CEO of Medina Capital Partners, an investment firm focused on funding technology companies developing new products for the private and public sectors. In addition, he is a managing partner of Communication Investors Group, one of their investors. Medina has more than 30 years of experience as a businessman in areas including technology, finance, international business, and government contracting.
In his early career, Medina worked as certified public accountant with Price Waterhouse. Later, in 1980, he started his own company, Terremark, and served as chairman of the board, president and chief executive officer until 2011, when the company was acquired by Verizon Communications for $1.4billion, out of which he would receive about $83 million from his 4.4 million shares, almost 7 percent of the company.
In 2014, Medina Capital raised an additional $185M fund. Medina Capital has invested in the following companies:
- Hemlock, Doreen. "Top Miami entrepreneur plans annual tech conference in push to make South Florida a tech hub". SunSentinel. Retrieved April 10, 2013.
- Sesin, Carmen (July 26, 2015). "Among Cuban-American Business Leaders, Divided Views On Way Forward". NBC News Latino.
- "Long Road From Cuba: Manny Medina, CEO of Terremark". Sramana Mitra's One Million by One Million Blog. Oct 28, 2009. Archived from the original on 10 May 2013.
- Rusli, Evelyn M. (January 29, 2011). "Verizon to Buy Terremark for $1.4 Billion". New York Times.
- Carey, Bridget (January 28, 2011). "Verizon to buy Miami-based Terremark". Miami Herald. Archived from the original on 10 May 2013.
- Tremain, William (28 May 2013). "The Daily Startup: Colombia Cybersecurity Startup to Go Global".
- "Exclusive: Dallas startup Brainspace raises $5M bridge round of funding". Dallas Business Journal. July 21, 2015.
- "Catbird secures another US $10 mln funding from Medina". 26 July 2013.
- World City Archived 2014-04-19 at the Wayback Machine
- Interview with Manny Medina in 7 parts