Manuel Isaías López
Manuel Isaias Lopez, MD (May 20, 1941 - November 29, 2017) was a prominent child psychiatrist, trained in Philadelphia. He founded the Child and Adolescent Psychiatry subspecialty program at the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM) in 1972. He also founded and was the first president of AMPI (Mexican Child Psychiatry Association) in 1975. He was the training director of the only Child and Adolescent Psychiatry training program in Mexico, at UNAM, from 1972 until 1998.
In the last quarter of the twentieth century, Manuel Isaias Lopez was considered the most influential psychiatrist in Mexico. In the early eighties, he was simultaneously President of the Mexican Psychoanalytic Association; Secretary General of the Mexican Board of Psychiatry; Director of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at UNAM; and Main Consultant to the System for the Integral Development of the Family (DIF), a nationwide government funded system of child and family guidance centers. His later contributions were in Bioethics, and he evolved into a researcher within this field and an International Psychoanalytic Association officer.
Manuel Isaias Lopez lived and practiced from 2009 to 2013 in Barcelona, Spain, and in New York from 2013 to 2017. During his last years, Isaias Lopez helped organize the first program in child psychoanalytic training at IPTAR (The Institute For Psychoanalytic Training and Research), in New York City.
Manuel Isaias Lopez published more than 160 original articles and two books: "La Encrucijada de la Adolescencia ("The Crossroads of Adolescence") and "Ética en Psiquiatría, Psicoanálisis y Psicoterapia" ("Ethics in Psychiatry, Psychoanalysis, and Psychotherapy").
Mann de Dayán describes the "Sensory Oversaturation Syndrome" as Isaias Lopez's main contribution to the psychodynamics of adolescence. According to this phenomenon, the adolescent manages to move away from his own narcissistic needs by overstimulating himself, as a first step before he projects his needs to outside sources.
Manuel Isaias Lopez died in New York City on November 29, 2017.
- A Preview of his latest book "Ética en Psiquiatría, Psicoanálisis y Psicoterapia"
- The chapter Manuel Isaias Lopez wrote, with Martha Tarasco, MD, on the Relationship Between Doctor and Patient, at the "Encyclopedia of Bioethics"
- "Desarrollo Psicológico" ("Psychological Development"), slides to a conference by Manuel Isaías López
- A list of his publications at the Mexican Psychoanalytic Association Web site
- A description of one of the books from the series "Caminos del Desarrollo", written with other child psychiatrists
- A description of a Bioethics Textbook where he was a major contributor
- Complete Google version of the first edistion of his book "La Encrucijada en la Adolescencia"