|Birth name||Manuel Turizo Zapata|
|Also known as||MTZ|
|Born||April 12, 2000|
Montería, Córdoba, Colombia
|Labels||La Industria Inc.|
Manuel Turizo Zapata (born April 12, 2000) is a Colombian singer. Born and raised in Montería, he started making music at 13. He first became popular with his song "Una Lady Como Tú" (2016). He made his debut album ADN on August 23, 2019. Turizo's music contains influences from pop music, trap, and vallenato, and his vocal range has been classified as baritone. His most well-known song is his 2022 single "La Bachata".
2000–2015: Early life and musical beginnings
Manuel Turizo grew up in the Colombian coastal town of Montería and began making music at age thirteen. In 2000, when Turizo was born, his parents had gifted a guitar and microphone to his older brother, Julian—who was only two at the time—so he would "…not get jealous" of the attention they would be giving to the newborn Manuel. Years later, Turizo attempted to learn to play his brother's guitar, but felt he did not have the aptitude for it, and thus began developing his singing voice. His original goal was to be a veterinarian, but he decided to pursue music after singing lessons with a Cuban music teacher. As a child, Turizo would practice vocals by singing along to his favorite songs, while his brother accompanied him on vocal harmonies, guitar and ukulele. Later, he began writing songs more consistently, while his brother was away earning his post-graduate degree in Medellín.
2016–present: "Una Lady Como Tú", success, and ADN
He is best known for his hit single "Una Lady Como Tú" (2016), which granted him widespread popularity in Latin America; the music video for the song has, as of June 2020, received over 1.4 billion views on YouTube. Within a year of its release, "Una Lady Como Tú" was streamed more than 235 million times on Spotify. This hit was followed by "Bésame" (2017) on which he collaborated with Puerto Rican reggaeton singer Valentino. The success of these singles led Billboard to include Turizo in the magazine's list of "10 Latin Artists To Watch in 2018".
In September 2018, Turizo achieved his first Billboard Hot 100-charting hit with his collaboration with Ozuna on the single "Vaina Loca". The song peaked at number 94 and stayed on the chart for two weeks. In October 2018, he collaborated with Mau y Ricky on the single "Desconocidos". In March 2019, his song "Sola" became first number one song on the Billboard Latin Airplay chart. He released his debut album, ADN on August 23, 2019, which featured collaborations with Zion & Lennox, Noriel, Ozuna, Darell, Nicky Jam, Sech, and Anuel AA. ADN peaked at number eight on the Billboard Hot Latin Albums chart. In September 2019, Turizo was named as the first Latin "global priority artist" by the French streaming service Deezer. He performed a virtual concert with Billboard on March 25, 2020, while in quarantine during the COVID-19 pandemic to raise money for the non-profit organization MusiCares. The concert consisted of a cappella renditions of the songs "Una Lady Como Tú" and "Déjala Que Vuelva".
Manuel Turizo comes from a family of musical talent: his father and brother Julián Turizo are musicians. The two brothers form a duo in which Manuel sings and Julián plays the ukulele. In addition to reggaeton, Turizo has also experimented with trap, R&B, and vallenato. His vocals have been described by Billboard as "sultry and deep" and his vocal range has been classified as baritone. Turizo cites Pablo Alborán and Bruno Mars as his biggest musical influences. He also lists Luis Fonsi, Shakira, Sin Bandera, Justin Bieber and Chayanne as important musicians in his musical development.
- ADN (2019)
- Dopamina (2021)
- 2000 (2023)
- ADN Tour (2019)
- Dopamina Tour (2021)
- 2000 Tour (2023)
- USA Tour (with Sebastián Yatra)
|2018-2021||la reina del Flow||Himself|
|2021||La suerte de Loli||Himself|
Awards and nominations
|2017||Kids' Choice Awards Colombia||Favorite Song||"Una Lady Como Tú"||Nominated|
|2018||MTV Millennial Awards||Hit of the Year||"Déjala Que Vuelva"||Nominated|
|Instagramer Level God Colombia||Nominated|
|2019||Latin Grammys||Mejor Fusión/Interpretación Urbana||"Pa' Olvidarte" (Remix)
(with ChocQuibTown, Zion & Lennox and Farruko)
|Mejor Canción Urbana||Nominated|
|iHeartRadio Music Awards||Best New Latin Artist||Himself||Won|
|2023||BreakTudo Awards||International Breakthrough Artist||Pending|
- Cobo, Leila (October 28, 2022). "How Manuel Turizo Scored His Biggest Hit Yet by Making a Left Turn Into 'Bachata'". Billboard. Retrieved October 30, 2022.
- Schiller, Rebecca (February 20, 2018). "Get to Know Colombian Singer Manuel Turizo". Billboard. Retrieved May 13, 2020.
- Guzmán Díaz, Laura (December 15, 2018). "Manuel Turizo, el reguetonero que le apuesta al romance". El Tiempo (in Spanish). Retrieved May 13, 2020.
- Jurek, Thom. "Manuel Turizo - Allmusic Biography". Allmusic. Retrieved May 13, 2020.
- El Tiempo: Manuel Turizo llega a Barranquilla y se abre camino al éxito - El artista monteriano promociona su más reciente canción: 'Una lady como tú', que suena fuerte. (in Spanish)
- Anderson Zapata (July 18, 2017). "La historia detrás del éxito 'Una lady como tú' de Manuel y Julián Turizo". El País (in Spanish).
- Una Lady Como Tú - MTZ Manuel Turizo. Retrieved July 2, 2018 – via YouTube.
- Cobo, Leila (January 9, 2018). "10 Latin Artists To Watch In 2018". Billboard. Retrieved May 13, 2020.
- El Heraldo Colombia: Vea aquí todos los videos de Valentino y Manuel Turizo en #SesionesEH (in Spanish)
- "Billboard 100 - Manuel Turizo Chart History". Billboard. Retrieved May 13, 2020.
- Leight, Elias (August 12, 2018). "Mau y Ricky Aim to Continue Their Hot Streak With 'Desconocidos'". Rolling Stone. Retrieved May 13, 2020.
- "Manuel Turizo Drops Debut Album 'ADN': Listen to 5 Highlights". Billboard. August 23, 2019. Retrieved May 13, 2020.
- "Manuel Turizo - Top Latin Albums Chart History". Billboard. Retrieved May 13, 2020.
- Fernandez, Suzette (September 17, 2019). "Manuel Turizo Becomes Deezer's First Latin Global Priority Artist". Billboard. Retrieved May 13, 2020.
- Flores, Griselda (March 25, 2020). "Manuel Turizo Serenades Fans A Cappella for Billboard Live At-Home Concert". Billboard. Retrieved May 13, 2020.
- El Universal: Manuel Turizo, talento de 16 años (in Spanish)
- "Manuel Turizo Biography". August 29, 2017.
- "Quiere Manuel Turizo dejar huella con su nuevo tema Te Olvido". Periódico Zócalo | Noticias de Saltillo, Piedras Negras, Monclova, Acuña (in Mexican Spanish). Retrieved November 27, 2021.
- "Ellos Son Los Nominados a Los Kids' Choice Awards Colombia 2017". tvynovelas.com (in Spanish). Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- "Ellos fueron los ganadores de los Kids Choice Awards Colombia 2017 (+Fotos)". caraotadigital.net (in Spanish). Archived from the original on March 29, 2019. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- "Lista de nominados a Premios MTV MIAW 2018". La Opinion (in Spanish). Retrieved May 2, 2018.
- "MTV MIAW 2018: la lista de ganadores | FOTOS". El Comercio (in Spanish). Retrieved June 4, 2018.
- "Nominados, 20a Entrega Anual del Latin GRAMMY". latingrammy.com (in Spanish). October 19, 2016.
- "BreakTudo Awards 2023: Indicados". BreakTudo Awards (in Brazilian Portuguese). August 24, 2023. Retrieved August 28, 2023.