Manvel High School
|Manvel High School|
|19601 Highway 6
Manvel, Texas 77578
|School type||Public high school|
|School district||Alvin Independent School District|
|Principal||Dr. Bobby Martinez|
|Enrollment||3150 (2015-16 school year)|
Navy, Red & Silver
|Athletics conference||UIL Class AAAAA|
|Website||Manvel High School|
Manvel High School is a public high school located along Texas State Highway 6 in the city of Manvel, Texas, USA and classified as a 5A school by the UIL. It is a part of the Alvin Independent School District located in northern Brazoria County. In 2015, the school was rated "Met Standard" by the Texas Education Agency.
Manvel High School opened in Fall 2006 with only 9th and 10th grades. It was projected to have 706 students in its first year. By 2008 it had 1,200 students, and by 2009 it had 1,630 students.
Manvel High School, Alvin ISD's second high school, was established to serve the western portion of Alvin ISD, and provided relief for Alvin High School upon the opening. Darrell Alexander is the first principal of Manvel High School, being named to the position in July 2005. By April 2006 Alvin ISD had hired assistant principals, athletic coaches, a librarian, and a band director for Manvel High. Its first class, consisting of 275 fourth-year students (seniors), graduated in 2009.
Manvel High was built in two phases. Phase I, with 220,113 square feet (20,449.2 m2) of space, initially had a capacity of 1,500 students and was built for $52 million. Construction on Phase Two, with 128,000 square feet (11,900 m2) of additional space, began in January 2008. Gamma Construction Co. built this phase and SHW Group designed it. The school's capacity increased to 2,500. The expansion included a two story academic building, with 75,000 square feet (7,000 m2) of space; an 800-seat auditorium; a nine classroom expansion to the fine arts wing, itself 18,000 square feet (1,700 m2) of space; an expansion of the weight room to 5,000 square feet (460 m2) of space, twice its previous size; and a parenting education and childcare building with 7,000 square feet (650 m2) of space. Construction on the auditorium was delayed due to damages from Hurricane Ike in September 2008; the construction company had to replace the previous sets of steel with new ones.
The Manvel Mavericks compete in these sports - 
- Cross Country
- Swimming and Diving
- Track and Field
In 2006 Kirk Martin was hired as the assistant athletic director and as the American football coach. The first volleyball coach previously worked in schools in Illinois and was last working as a coach and teacher at Clear Creek High School. Varsity volleyball was scheduled to begin in 2007. Varsity American football games for Manvel High began in 2008.
- Football - 
Phillip Mena and Jill Courtney of KHOU-TV wrote that the number of fights that occurred in the 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 school years, 48, were "not out of the ordinary for similar-sized schools in the area."
- Texas Tribune
- "2015 Accountability Rating System" (PDF). Texas Education Agency.
- Evans, Thayer (2009-05-25). "Manvel High set to graduate its first-ever class". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 2017-01-01.
- Zheng, Zen T. C. (2006-01-17). "Manvel High gets first football coach". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 2017-01-01.
- Evans, Thayer (2008-02-12). "Expansion work begins on Manvel High School". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 2017-01-01.
- Evans, Thayer (2009-03-03). "Manvel High's expansion still on target, except for auditorium". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 2016-01-01.
- "Education news: Manvel High staff positions filling up". Houston Chronicle. 2006-04-06. Retrieved 2017-01-01.
- "Thoroughfare and Zoning Map." City of Iowa Colony. Retrieved on January 1, 2017.
- "High School Boundaries 2015-16" (PDF). Alvin Independent School District. Retrieved 2017-01-01.
- "ALVIN ISD - HIGH SCHOOL ATTENDANCE BOUNDARIES" (PDF). Alvin Independent School District. Retrieved 2017-01-01.
- Jones, Allen (2014-10-14). "District ponders options for planned high school". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 2016-11-16.
- The Athletics Department
- Hainline, L. Scott (2006-07-27). "Volleyball: Traub brings record of success to Manvel". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 2017-01-01.
- Khan, Sam Jr. (2010-12-03). "A little new, old in Manvel-La Marque playoff showdown". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 2017-01-01.
- Evans, Thayer (2009-09-02). "Manvel High students get chance to create their own traditions". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 2017-01-01.
- UIL Girls Basketball Archives
- UIL Boys Track Archives
- Lone Star Football Network
- Mena, Phillip and Jill Courtney. "Alvin ISD: Freshman stabs senior at Manvel High School" (Archive). KHOU-TV (Channel 2). April 25, 2014. Retrieved on November 2, 2014.