Rumpless Game fowl
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|PCGB||rare hard feather|
The Rumpless Game is a British breed of tail-less chicken. It may have originated on the Isle of Man and may thus be known as the Manx Rumpy. There are both standard-sized and bantam Rumpless Game.
The Rumpless Game, like all other tail-less breeds such as the Araucana and the Barbu d'Everberg, lacks the uropygium from which the tail grows. It is a hard-feathered breed, with a single comb and small wattles and earlobes. All colours are acceptable under the standard of the Poultry Club of Great Britain.
Rumpless Game males weigh 2.3–2.7 kilograms (5–6 lb) and hens 1.8–2.3 kg (4–5 lb).
In the United States
The British breed has never been imported to the United States. In 1958 some tail-less birds of Iranian origin were crossed with other breeds to produce an approximation of the British type, and the name "Manx Rumpy" applied to them, perhaps by analogy with the tail-less Manx cat. The Livestock Conservancy recommends that they be called "Persian Rumpless". They are not recognised by the American Poultry Association. They are good layers of brown eggs, and may also occasionally lay white, blue, or green eggs.
- Victoria Roberts (2008). British poultry standards: complete specifications and judging points of all standardized breeds and varieties of poultry as compiled by the specialist breed clubs and recognised by the Poultry Club of Great Britain. Oxford: Blackwell. ISBN 9781405156424. p.258–60.
- Breed Classification. Poultry Club of Great Britain. Accessed August 2014.
- Gurdon, Martin. (December 13, 2003) The Daily Telegraph Clucky little things. Martin Gurdon explains how to keep your hens healthy over winter. Section: Weekend: Country. Page 17.
- Liste des races et variétés homologuée dans les pays EE (28.04.2013). Entente Européenne d’Aviculture et de Cuniculture. Archived 16 June 2013.
- British Association for the Advancement of Science (1871) Report.
- Ekarius, Carol (2007). Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds. North Adams, MA, US: Storey Publishing. pp. 190–191. ISBN 978-1-58017-667-5.
- Wright, Lewis (1891). The Book of Poultry. London: Cassell and Company. p. 454.
- Graham, Chris (2006). Choosing and Keeping Chickens. 2-4 Heron Quays London E14 4JP: Octopus Publishing. ISBN 978-0-7938-0601-0.
- Manx Rumyp or Persian Rumpless Chicken. The Livestock Conservancy. Accessed August 2014.