Oasis town of Mao, Chad
|Elevation||1,112 ft (339 m)|
As in other Chadian regions, Mao is ruled by both a traditional Sultan and by central government officials. The Sultan of Kanem, who resides in Mao, is the traditional chief of the Kanembou people. Moves toward decentralisation have been stymied by the complex and sometimes tense relationships between traditional rulers in Chad and national authorities.
On 18 July 2010, the Sultan of Kanem, Alifa Ali Zezerti, died in hospital in N'Djamena aged 83, from complications from a heart attack. He was the 39th ruler of the Kanem dynasty, and had reigned since 1947. He was buried in Mao. His predecessor, Sultan Zezerti, had died on 26 September 1947, having ruled since 1925. His son was elected as Sultan in a by-election without competition.
On 30 September 2015, around 8 pm, a major fire burned through the main market of Mao. The origin could not be determined. No deaths were reported.
On 12 May 2016, at 5 am, a large fire spread throughout the main market of Mao, the second in under two years. The fire started in a nearby fuel depot. No human casualties were reported.
The area is very isolated and travel is difficult (along sand tracks that can only be negotiated using four-by-four vehicles or camels).
On Wednesdays, Grand Market Day, fresh produce is sold such as onion, garlic, dates, carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, and sometimes aubergines, which were introduced in 2009 by the FAO. Fruits are also sold, especially bananas, and sometimes mangoes, papayas and guavas. Millet is also available, white or red.
- "République du Tchad - Projet de développement agricole des ouadis du Kanem - (PDAOK) - Rapport d'évaluation intermédiaire". April 2003. pp. A. Area and Context of the Intervention, Target Group. Retrieved 12 March 2017.
- "Tchad : Le Sultan du Kanem s'en est allé". www.africa-info.org (in French). Retrieved 2017-03-12.
- Waldar. "NECROLOGIE :Le sultan du Kanem ALIFA MAO S'EST ETEINT - WALDARI WA AKHBAARA". WALDARI WA AKHBAARA (in French). Retrieved 2017-03-12.
- Lanne, Bernard (1998-01-01). Histoire politique du Tchad de 1945 à 1958: administration, partis, élections (in French). KARTHALA Editions. p. 119. ISBN 9782865378838.
- Lanne, Bernard (1998-01-01). Histoire politique du Tchad de 1945 à 1958: administration, partis, élections (in French). KARTHALA Editions. p. 103. ISBN 9782865378838.
- "JournalDuTchad.com: Mao: des jeunes tchadiens incendient la gendarmerie". Retrieved 2017-03-12.
- Administrateur. "Tchad/Émeutes à Mao: les secours accourent vers Mao". letchadien.com (in French). Retrieved 2017-03-12.
- "Tchad : incendie au marché central de Mao". Tchadinfos.com (in French). 2015-10-01. Retrieved 2017-03-12.
- "Un incendie d'origine inconnu ravage le marché de Mao". Tchadinfos.com (in French). 2016-05-12. Retrieved 2017-03-12.
- "Tchad Profond...Mao, la ville sablonneuse.". Regard'ailleurs. Retrieved 2017-03-12.