Mao Dun Literature Prize
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Mao Dun Literature Prize (Chinese: 茅盾文学奖; pinyin: Máo Dùn Wénxué Jiǎng) is a prize for novels, established in the will of prominent Chinese writer Mao Dun (for which he personally donated 250,000 RMB) and sponsored by the Chinese Writers Association. Awarded every four years, it is one of the most prestigious literature prizes in China. It was first awarded in 1982.
According to selection rule, any work, authored by Chinese nationals, published in mainland China, and with over 130,000 characters, is eligible.
The selection committee in the Chinese Writers Association holds the voting poll twice, and the winner must receive over 2/3 of the votes cast. The process is highly selective and each time, the number of winners is between 3 and 5. The prize is awarded every four years, though it was originally awarded every three years.
The award was recently criticized for the 2011 awards, when it was revealed that eight of the top ten on the list were either the chair or vice-chairpersons of prominent provincial writers' associations. An editorial in the China Daily stated "official status cannot and should not be a criterion for literary excellence. That's why people doubt the authenticity of prizes that are awarded to officials for their literary achievements."
Past winners and their works
Note: English titles may be literal and not book translations.
- 魏巍 《东方》 - Wei Wei, Orient
- 周克芹 《许茂和他的女儿们》 - Zhou Keqin, Xu Mao and His Daughters
- 姚雪垠 《李自成》（第二卷） - Yao Xueyin, Li Zicheng
- 莫应丰 《将军吟》 - Mo Yingfeng, General's Chant
- 李國文 《冬天里的春天》 - Li Guowen, Spring in Winter
- 古華 《芙蓉镇》 - Gu Hua, A Small Town Called Hibiscus
- 張潔 《沉重的翅膀》 - Zhang Jie, Leaden Wings
- 劉心武 《钟鼓楼》 - Liu Xinwu, Bell and Drum Tower
- 李準 《黄河东流去》 - Li Zhun, Yellow River Flowing to East
- 路遙 《平凡的世界》 - Lu Yao, "Ordinary World"
- 凌力 《少年天子》 - Ling Li, Young Emperor
- 孙力，余小惠 《都市风流》 - Sun Li and Yu Xiaohui. Rhapsody of Metropolis
- 刘白羽 《第二个太阳》 - Liu Baiyu, The Second Sun
- 霍達 《穆斯林的葬禮》 - Huo Da, The Funeral of Muslim
- Chen Zhongshi, White Deer Field
- Wang Huo, War and People
- Liu Sifen, White Gate Willow
- Liu Yumin, Unsettled Autumn
- A Lai, After the Dust Settled
- Wang Anyi, The Song of Everlasting Sorrow
- Zhang Ping, Decision
- Wang Xufeng Three Episodes of Tea-man
- Xiong Zhaozheng, Zhang Juzheng
- Zhang Jie, Wordless
- Xu Guixiang, Heaven of History
- Liu Jianwei, Heroic Time
- Zong Pu, Lead-in of Wild Gourd
- Jia Pingwa, Qin Qiang
- Chi Zijian, The Right Bank of Er'guna River
- Mai Jia, Plot
- Zhou Daxin, The Scenery of the Lake and the Mountain
- Zhang Wei, On the Plateau
- Liu Xinglong, Skywalker
- Bi Feiyu, Massage
- Mo Yan, Frog
- Liu Zhenyun, One Sentence Worth Thousands
- Su Tong, Yellowbird Story
- Ge Fei, Jiangnan Trilogy (consisting of My Dream of the Mountain and River, Spring Ends in Jiangnan, and Face and Peach Blossom)
- Wang Meng, Scenery on this Side
- Jin Yucheng, Blossoms
- Li Peifu, The Book of Life
- "Literary prizes or farcical awards", China Daily, 2011-8-16.
- "Winners of 2015 Mao Dun Literature Prize announced". GBTimes. August 17, 2015. Retrieved August 18, 2015.