Maoist insurgency in Turkey
|Maoist Insurgency in Turkey|
|Commanders and leaders|
Kenan Evren |
Ahmet Necdet Sezer
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan
|Casualties and losses|
The Maoist insurgency in Turkey, also known as People's War in Turkey (Turkish: Halk savaşı), is an ongoing low level insurgency in eastern Turkey between the Turkish government and Maoist rebels that appears to have begun in the 1980s. The insurgency declined in the late 1980s and 1990s and has been sidelined by the larger Kurdish separatist conflict. Low level armed attacks continue to be carried out by insurgent groups, the most significant of which are Liberation Army of the Workers and Peasants of Turkey (TİKKO) (the armed wing of the Communist Party of Turkey/Marxist–Leninist) and People's Liberation Army (HKO) and People's Partisan Forces (PHG), both armed wings of the Maoist Communist Party.
On April 24, 1972, the Communist Party of Turkey/Marxist–Leninist (sometimes TKP/ML is incorrectly referred to as "Partizan" after the name of one of its publications) was formed by a radical group led by İbrahim Kaypakkaya, it crafted 11-point program and intended to wage a People's War. However a year later Kaypakkaya was captured, tortured and killed. In 1978 the first conference was carried out affirming the TKP/ML's direction towards People's War and guerrilla warfare, however little progress was made in this direction. TKP/ML was involved in political violence between left and right wing groups in the 1970s.
TKP/ML's military wing, the Liberation Army of the Workers and Peasants of Turkey (TİKKO), carried out militant and guerrilla actions in the late 1970s and throughout the 1980s, mainly in the Tunceli region, who's inhabitants saw the Maoist guerrilla war as revenge for the Dersim Massacre in 1938. TİKKO reached its height during this period carrying out guerrilla warfare in the mountainous areas of the Dersim and Black Sea regions.
In the late 1980s the TKP/ML suffered from a series of splits following the party's second congress. 1993 TKP/ML attempted to reunify with the DABK group which ultimately proved unsuccessful.
On May 17, 1985, TKP/ML broadcast propaganda message to millions of television viewers in Istanbul, replacing the soundtrack for the evening news.
In 2000, Turkish security forces launched operations against TİKKO insurgents in the provinces of Tokat and Sivas. Discovering 12 hideouts, they recovered 9 machine guns, 4 rocket launchers, grenades and explosives as well as 10 tonnes of food and medicine.
On 16 June 2005, Turkish armed forces killed 17 members of MKP.
In March 2009, Tamer Bilici, a doctor in service during a 2000 hunger strike in Kandıra F-type prison, was punished[clarification needed] by MKP-HKO for being a public enemy because he was blamed for deaths, and permanent disabilities of inmates. In September 2009 MKP-HKO claimed responsibility for the death of a retired colonel, Aytekin İçmez.
On 29 June 2010, two guerrillas of the TİKKO were killed in the mountains of Tunceli by the Turkish state forces.
On 15 August 2014 TiKKO guerrillas attacked a Gendarmerie Station in Ovacik,no Deaths were reported.
In June 2015 MKP-PHG killed former colonel Fehmi Altinbilek.
On 22 July, TiKKO guerrillas attacked a Gendarmerie Station in Hozat. No Casulties were reported.
On 10 October, guerrillas of the PKK and the TKP / ML-TİKKO attacked the military base of Geyiksuyu in the province of Tunceli.
The funeral of guerrillas was attended by hundreds of people, who sang songs and shouted revolutionary slogans.
On 9 May, two TiKKO guerrillas were killed in Geyiksuyu during a clash with TSK Soldiers.
During 24–28 November, twelve guerrillas of TKP/ML TİKKO died during an army operation at Aliboğazı region of the Dersim province.
On 18 June, MKP-HKO guerrillas attacked the military base of Kuşluca in Tunceli, Halkin Günlüğü claimed the attack killed two soldiers and wounded one.
On 16 November, four MKP-HKO guerrillas were killed in clashes with TSK.
On 24 April, two female TiKKO guerrillas were killed and another was captured by TSK Soldiers in Tunceli.
On 5/6 August, six TiKKO guerrillas were killed by the Turkish Army in Tunceli.
On 11 August, a BÖG fighter was killed in Pülümür, Tunceli by the Turkish Army.
On 17 August, a MLKP fighter was killed in an Turkish airstrike in Iraqi Kurdistan.
On 28 August, a MLKP fighter was killed by TSK soldiers in Tunceli.
On 20 July, 2 MLKP fighters were killed alongside 3 PKK fighters who were also killed.
- Some songs of music bands such as Grup Munzur and Grup Yorum refer to insurgency in Dersim.
- Dersim'de Doğan Güneş
- Kurdish–Turkish conflict (1978–present)
- Political violence in Turkey (1976–80)
- DHKP/C insurgency in Turkey
- Gezi Park protests
- Armed resistance in Chile (1973–90)
- CPP–NPA–NDF rebellion
- Colombian conflict (1964–present)
- Internal conflict in Peru
- Naxalite–Maoist insurgency
- "History of the Communist Movement in Turkey". www.bannedthought.net. Archived from the original on 12 October 2017. Retrieved 11 September 2017.
- Construction of a Nation: The Early Years of the Turkish Republic and Dersim Events
- Turkey and the War on Terror: "For Forty Years we Fought Alone", page 27
- A World to Win Magazine, 1985, "TKP/ML seizes the airwaves 8PM News Break"
- [dead link]
- "RAND - NSRD - Projects - RAND Database of Worldwide Terrorism Incidents". Smapp.rand.org. Archived from the original on 19 December 2014. Retrieved 28 November 2014.
- [dead link]
- "MKP: F Tipi katillerinden biri cezalandırıldı". Sosyalistforum.net. Archived from the original on 19 December 2014. Retrieved 28 November 2014.
- Hüseyin TÜCCAR- Erdoğan PAÇİN (2009-09-30). "MKP-HKO emekli albayı öldürdü". Sabah. Retrieved 26 August 2012.
- "To the Press and the Public: 5 martyrs of TKP/ML-TİKKO died in Tunceli" (PDF). Bannedthought.net. Archived (PDF) from the original on 23 September 2015. Retrieved 28 November 2014.
- Mike Ely. "Turkey: Five Communist Fighters Killed in Avalanche". Kasama Project. Archived from the original on 13 October 2014. Retrieved 28 November 2014.
- "24 MKP/HKO Militanı Teslim Oldu İddiası". Dersim News, Dersim Haber, Dersim, Tunceli Haber, Dersim Haber Sitesi, Dersim Haberleri, Tunceli Haberleri,Dersim 38, Kırmancki, Zazaca, Dersimce, Alevi Haberleri, Pülümür, Hozat, Ovacık, Mazgirt, Nazımiye, Çemişgezek, Erzincan, Erzincan Haber, Varto, Varto Haber, Kiğı, Kiğı Haber, Bingöl, Bingöl Haber, Gündem, Haber, Haberler, Avrupa Haber, Alevi Haber, Alevi Haberleri. Archived from the original on 12 October 2014. Retrieved 28 November 2014.
- "Arkadaşlar, siz de teslim olun askerler bize çok iyi davranıyor". Dersimnews.com. Archived from the original on 14 July 2014. Retrieved 28 November 2014.
- "Hydroelectric Plant Regulator Bombed in Tunceli". Bianet - Bagimsiz Iletisim Agi. Archived from the original on 12 October 2014. Retrieved 28 November 2014.
- "TİKKO'dan Berkin Elvan için misilleme eylemi". BestaNûçe Bestanuce.com. Archived from the original on 9 January 2015. Retrieved 28 November 2014.
- Özgür Gelecek. "Gerilladan Berkin Elvan için misilleme eylemi". Ozgurgelecek.nl. Archived from the original on 12 October 2014. Retrieved 28 November 2014.
- Özgür Gelecek. "Dersim'de gerilladan baz istasyonu eylemi". Ozgurgeleck.net. Archived from the original on 4 December 2014. Retrieved 28 November 2014.
- "Communist terrorist group sets truck ablaze in eastern Turkey". dailysabah.com. Archived from the original on 5 December 2014. Retrieved 28 November 2014.
- "Turquie : La guérilla maoïste et la guérilla kurde mènent une opération conjointe". Archived from the original on 2018-10-09. Retrieved 2017-06-25.
- "TKP/ML -TİKKO'dan Ankara şehitlerinin anısına eylem - ATİK Online". www.atik-online.net. Archived from the original on 13 January 2017. Retrieved 11 September 2017.
- 0, Özgür Gelecek. "Özgür Gelecek - Paşêroja Azad - Günlük Haber Bülteni - YDG: Halk Savaşçıları Ölümsüzdür! Mücadeleniz, Mücadelemizdir!". www.ozgurgelecek.org. Archived from the original on 12 October 2017. Retrieved 11 September 2017.
- Seyri Sokak (4 November 2015). "Mercan şehitleri:Cengiz, Hakan, Özgüç". Retrieved 11 September 2017 – via YouTube.
- Gelecek, Özgür. "Özgür Gelecek - Paşêroja Azad - Günlük Haber Bülteni - TİKKO Rojava "12'leri anmak, onların boş kalan mevzilerini doldurmaktır"". ozgurgelecek1.net. Archived from the original on 12 October 2017. Retrieved 11 September 2017.
- 0, Özgür Gelecek. "Özgür Gelecek - Paşêroja Azad - Günlük Haber Bülteni - TİKKO militanları Kürdistan için AKP binasını ateşe verdi". www.ozgurgelecek.org. Archived from the original on 12 October 2017. Retrieved 11 September 2017.
- "MKP/HKO gerillalarından eylem!". Archived from the original on 20 September 2018. Retrieved 19 September 2018.
- "MKP/HKO'dan Ovacık muharebesine ilişkin açıklama!". Archived from the original on 2017-09-13. Retrieved 2017-09-13.
- "Ovacık'ta 3 MKP/HKO gerillası şehit düştü". Archived from the original on 2017-09-05. Retrieved 2017-09-13.
- "Hozat'ta iki MKP/HKO gerillası ölümsüzleşti". Archived from the original on 2017-09-13. Retrieved 2017-09-13.
- "MKP/HKO gerillaları ölümsüzlük yolculuğunda". Archived from the original on 2017-09-13. Retrieved 2017-09-13.
- "Dersim-Ovacık'ta 2 MKP/HKO gerillası ölümsüzleşti". Archived from the original on 2017-10-12. Retrieved 2017-09-29.
- Ovacık’ta 2 MKP/HKO gerillası ölümsüzleşti
- "Ovacık'ta ölümsüzleşen HKO savaşçılarının isimleri netleşti!". Archived from the original on 2017-09-29. Retrieved 2017-09-29.