San Francisco, CA, United States
Number of employees
The startup was created as a part of Development Seed in order to offer map customization for non-profit customers, in 2010. It was bootstrapped until a 2013 $10M Series A funding round by Foundry Group. In June 2015, Mapbox announced it had raised $52.55 million in a Series B round of funding led by DFJ Growth.
Data sources and technology
The data are taken both from open data sources, such as OpenStreetMap and NASA, and from proprietary data sources, such as DigitalGlobe. The technology is based on Node.js, CouchDB, Mapnik, GDAL, and Leafletjs.
Mapbox uses data from tracks of its clients' users, such as Strava and RunKeeper, to identify likely missing data in OpenStreetMap with automatic methods, then manually applies the fixes or reports the issue to OSM contributors.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mapbox.|
- "Our Team". Mapbox. Retrieved 17 August 2017.
- "The New Cartographers". The Washington Post. 22 July 2013. Archived from the original on 2 June 2016.
- Lomas, Natasha. "Mapbox Closes $10M Series A From Foundry Group To Build The Future Of Interactive, Mobile Maps". TechCrunch. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- Lunden, Ingrid. "Mapbox Raises $52.6M Led By DFJ To Be The "Map Layer" For All Apps". Retrieved 1 July 2015.
- Franzen, Carl. "Mapbox Aims For Open Source, Digital Map Revolution". Talking Points Memo. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- "GNOME Maps and the tile problem". 2016-07-27.
- Mattias Bengtsson. "Tiles and Mapbox".
- "Bug 764841 – Stop Using MapQuest Tile Server".
- Higgins, Tim (October 10, 2017). "SoftBank Leads $164 Million Bet on Digital-Mapping Startup Mapbox". Wall Street Journal. New York City, New York, United States. Retrieved October 10, 2017.
- A Cloudless Atlas — How Mapbox Aims to Make the World’s ‘Most Beautiful Map’, Wired, 14 May 2013
- "Map Data: Stick a Pin in It". The Economist. 4 April 2013. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- Nugent, Dave. "Node.js Future & Drupal". Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- Barth, Alex. "You may just have updated the map with your RunKeeper route".