|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (October 2013)|
|Type of business||Private|
|Headquarters||Dulles, VA, USA|
|Key people||Dr. Paul Carter|
MapHook combines GPS and mapping technologies to allow users to create geo-tagged digital memories about events, locations, and activities. These geo-tagged "hooks" contain user reviews, anecdotal information, available business details, and user-created images pertaining to the selected location. These hooks are then published per user specifications to the public or select individuals. MapHook also displays points of interest that relate to Wikipedia articles, Groupon offers, or Yelp reviews within a user's selected vicinities.
In August 2011, MapHook added the ability to attach YouTube videos to "hooks." MapHook also introduced the "Groups" concept, which allowed for the creation of user communities with user-set levels of privacy. MapHook also connected with Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ in order to merge with other social networking platforms.
In March 2012, MapHook partnered with the World Wildlife Fund and their "Tigers or Toilet Paper" project, which aims to draw closer attention to the deforestation and ruin of the Sumatran tiger’s habitat by having users create hooks to spread awareness about the paper products being sold in their area.
In April 2012, MapHook and the World Wildlife Fund teamed together again for Earth Hour, which took place in 2012 on March 31. As part of the Earth Hour MapHook Project, the World Wildlife Fund asked Earth Hour participants to post hooks on MapHook in order to chart participation and share experiences.
Upon its release in July 2010, MapHook received recognition in a number of online and paper-based publications:
- "MapHook Takes Social Media on the Road," by Allan Maurer; July 23, 2010; TechJournal; http://www.techjournalsouth.com/2010/07/maphook-takes-social-media-on-the-road/
- "A Curated Location-Based and Social Networking App," by Paloma M. Vazquez; July 22, 2010; http://www.psfk.com/2010/07/a-curated-location-based-content-and-social-networking-app.html
- MapHook official press release; July 22, 2010; http://www.maphook.com/app/site/mhweb/main/content.jsp?guid=EA6A6607-78F6-E5A5-96B3-6AA9F33CFB1B&content=38AECA21-FBBF-46F2-02CB-6ECE97BB4477
- "Gulf Caravan Selects MapHook," by Raju Shanbhag, on TMCnet; http://fixed-mobile-convergence.tmcnet.com/topics/mobile-communications/articles/94564-gulf-caravan-selects-maphook.htm
- "MapHook Finds Unique Way to Display Daily Deals by Groupon," by Loudoun County Department of Economic Development; April 27, 2011; http://biz.loudoun.gov/Default.aspx?tabid=475
- "MapHook Announces New Features," in Business Wire, Aug 10, 2011; http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20110810005020/en/MapHook-Announces-Features-Including-Groups-Videos-Links
- "Monkeys on the Loose in MapHook;" Reuters U.S. Edition online; Sep 21, 2011; http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/21/idUS116711+21-Sep-2011+BW20110921
- "Timmy the Monkey Sticker Map Project" official ThinkGeek announcement; http://www.thinkgeek.com/stickermap/index.shtml
- "MapHook App Used to Raise Awareness of Sumatran Tiger Habitat;" March 28, 2012; Official MapHook Press Release; http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20120328005325/en/MapHook-App-Raise-Awareness-Sumatran-Tiger-Habitat
- "Tigres ou Papel Higiénico? – A Iniciativa WWF e a Colaboração MapHook;" by Alfonso Paz; 28th Mar 2012; http://www.animaisfotos.com/tigres-ou-papel-higienico-wwf-maphook/
- Earth Hour 2012; CBS News Report; http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-202_162-10011815.html
- MapHook Lights Up to Show Earth Hour Participants Turning Lights Off; MapHook Official Press Release; April 4, 2012; http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20120404005372/en/MapHook-App-Lights-Show-Earth-Hour-Participants
- "This Week's Best Apps," by Kyle VanHemert and Casey Chan; July 19, 2010; http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/07/this-weeks-best-apps-3/
- "App of the Week: MapHook," by Allie Townsend; July 20, 2010; http://techland.time.com/2010/07/20/app-of-the-week-maphook/
- "Seeing the World Around You Through Your Phone," by Bob Tedeschi; NY Times; July 29, 2010; page B8; "Quick Calls" section http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/29/technology/personaltech/29smart.html?_r=2&src=busln
- MapHook website