Maple Plain, Minnesota
"A Proud Partner Of Active Living Hennepin County"
Location of Maple Plain
within Hennepin County, Minnesota
|• Mayor||Julie Maas-Kusske|
|• City||1.07 sq mi (2.77 km2)|
|• Land||1.06 sq mi (2.76 km2)|
|• Water||0.01 sq mi (0.01 km2) 0.89%|
|Elevation||1,027 ft (313 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||1,984.98/sq mi (766.55/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (Central)|
|GNIS feature ID||0647497|
Maple Plain is a city in Hennepin County, Minnesota, United States. The population was 1,768 at the 2010 census. U.S. Route 12 and Hennepin County Roads 19, 29, and 83 are four of the community's main routes.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has an area of 1.12 square miles (2.90 km2), of which 1.11 square miles (2.87 km2) is land and 0.01 square miles (0.03 km2) is water. Maple Plain is 20 miles west of Minneapolis on U.S. Highway 12. Pioneer Creek flows through Maple Plain's northwest corner.
Maple Plain is named for the many sugar maples in its forests. Settlement of the area began in 1854 and revolved around Lake Independence to its north, and its outflow Pioneer Creek. In 1868 and 1869, the St. Paul, Pacific and Manitoba Railroad was built through Maple Plain. By 1871, Maple Plain had a post office. The city was incorporated as a village in 1912. Village water came to the town in 1939, sewer circa 1950, and blacktop in 1961.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,768 people, 723 households, and 462 families living in the city. The population density was 1,592.8 inhabitants per square mile (615.0/km2). There were 775 housing units at an average density of 698.2 per square mile (269.6/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 94.2% White, 2.0% African American, 0.3% Native American, 0.6% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 1.4% from other races, and 1.4% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.8% of the population.
There were 723 households, of which 31.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.4% were married couples living together, 9.7% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.8% had a male householder with no wife present, and 36.1% were non-families. 29.5% of all households were made up of individuals, and 10.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.36 and the average family size was 2.94.
The median age in the city was 43.1 years. 22.1% of residents were under the age of 18; 8.3% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 22.7% were from 25 to 44; 33.4% were from 45 to 64; and 13.6% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 50.0% male and 50.0% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,088 people, 770 households, and 536 families living in the city. The population density was 1,875.4 people per square mile (726.3/km2). There were 786 housing units at an average density of 706.0 per square mile (273.4/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 97.65% White, 0.48% African American, 0.24% Native American, 0.62% Asian, 0.38% from other races, and 0.62% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.91% of the population.
There were 770 households, out of which 41.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.8% were married couples living together, 10.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.3% were non-families. 25.1% of all households were made up of individuals, and 11.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.61 and the average family size was 3.15.
In the city, the population was spread out, with 28.9% under the age of 18, 7.5% from 18 to 24, 32.3% from 25 to 44, 20.2% from 45 to 64, and 11.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females, there were 91.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $50,938, and the median income for a family was $58,977. Males had a median income of $40,114 versus $32,121 for females. The per capita income for the city was $22,218. About 2.6% of families and 4.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.4% of those under age 18 and 10.9% of those age 65 or over.
- Brock Lesnar, professional wrestler and former mixed martial artist, lived in Maple Plain from 2003 to 2014.
- "2019 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 26, 2020.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-13.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". United States Census Bureau. May 24, 2020. Retrieved May 27, 2020.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File". American FactFinder. U.S. Census Bureau, 2010 Census. Retrieved 23 April 2011.[dead link]
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2012-01-25. Retrieved 2012-11-13.
- Upham, Warren (2001). Minnesota Place Names. Minnesota Historical Society Press. p. 229. ISBN 0-87351-396-7. Archived from the original on 2007-04-26.
- https://www.sos.state.mn.us/elections-voting/election-results/2020/2020-general-election-results/2020-precinct-results-spreadsheet/. Missing or empty
- https://www.sos.state.mn.us/elections-voting/election-results/2016/2016-general-election-results/2016-precinct-results-spreadsheet/. Missing or empty
- https://www.sos.state.mn.us/elections-voting/election-results/2012/2012-general-election-results/2012-precinct-results-spreadsheet/. Missing or empty
- https://www.sos.state.mn.us/elections-voting/election-results/2008/2008-general-election-results/2008-precinct-results-spreadsheet/. Missing or empty
- https://www.sos.state.mn.us/elections-voting/election-results/2004/2004-general-election-results/2004-precinct-results-spreadsheet/. Missing or empty
- https://www.sos.state.mn.us/elections-voting/election-results/2000/2000-general-election-results/2000-precinct-results-spreadsheet/. Missing or empty
- (PDF) https://www.lrl.mn.gov/archive/sessions/electionresults/1996-11-05-g-sec.pdf. Missing or empty
- (PDF) https://www.lrl.mn.gov/archive/sessions/electionresults/1992-11-03-g-sec.pdf. Missing or empty
- (PDF) https://www.lrl.mn.gov/archive/sessions/electionresults/1988-11-08-g-sec.pdf. Missing or empty
- (PDF) https://www.lrl.mn.gov/archive/sessions/electionresults/1984-11-06-g-sec.pdf. Missing or empty
- (PDF) https://www.lrl.mn.gov/archive/sessions/electionresults/1980-11-04-g-sec.pdf. Missing or empty
- (PDF) https://www.lrl.mn.gov/archive/sessions/electionresults/1976-11-02-g-sec.pdf. Missing or empty
- (PDF) https://www.lrl.mn.gov/archive/sessions/electionresults/1968-11-05-g-man.pdf. Missing or empty
- (PDF) https://www.lrl.mn.gov/archive/sessions/electionresults/1964-11-03-g-man.pdf. Missing or empty
- (PDF) https://www.lrl.mn.gov/archive/sessions/electionresults/1960-11-08-g-man.pdf. Missing or empty