María Dueñas at Gothenburg book fair 2014.
Puertollano, Ciudad Real, Spain
María Dueñas Vinuesa (Puertollano, 1964) is a Spanish writer.
María Dueñas is a professor of English Language and Literature at the University of Murcia. She has seven siblings and lives in Cartagena. She is also an academic author and has worked at different universities in North America.
She came into the spotlight in 2009, achieving great success in Spain thanks to her first novel, El tiempo entre costuras, published in English as The Time in Between, and The Seamstress, a historical espionage novel, which sold more than a million copies. It has already been translated into more than 25 different languages.
The novel has also won a number of literary awards such as the Historical Novel Award from the City of Cartagena, the top prize at this annual week-long celebration of the historical novel, and the 2011 Culture Award for Literature. It was adapted for television as a same-titled series, produced by the Spanish television network Antena 3.
El tiempo entre costuras revolves around the figure of Sira Quiroga, a seamstress who moves to Morocco with her boyfriend right before the uprising that would lead to the Spanish Civil War. There, after many setbacks, she will open her own sewing workshop.
Dueñas had great success again in 2012 when she published her second novel, Misión Olvido, published in English as The Heart Has Its Reasons. This time the setting goes back and forth between the Spanish missions in California and contemporary Spain. Misión Olvido reached its fifth edition on January 25, 2013 with over half a million copies sold and was awarded the Culture Award for Literature by the Region of Madrid.
Her third novel, La Templanza, set in 19th century Mexico City, Havana and Jerez de la Frontera, was released in Spain on 17 March 2015. Following the success of the television adaptation of El tiempo entre costuras, Antena 3 announced the production of a television series based on La Templanza.
- The Time in Between / The Seamstress (El tiempo entre costuras) (2009)
- The Heart Has Its Reasons (Misión Olvido) (2012)
- La templanza (2015)
- Economía, E. F. E. (May 5, 2014). "La escritora española María Dueñas defiende el elemento del humor en la novela" – via elpais.com.
- EuropaPress (06 de noviembre de 2012). "Premios de Cultura de la Comunidad de Madrid". Consultado el 06 de noviembre de 2012. (in Spanish)
- "Entrevista a María Dueñas: "He escrito una novela con alma de novela, no de película o serie"". March 29, 2015.
- "Atresmedia Televisión adaptará la novela 'La templanza'".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Maria Dueñas.|
- María Dueñas – Official Webpage
- Official Webpage El tiempo entre costuras
- Official Webpage Misión Olvido
- Official Webpage University of Murcia http://webs.um.es/maduvi/miwiki/doku.php?id=inicio
- Publishing house Official Webpage. 
- Interview, 
- Interview for the Spanish National Radio, 
- Interview for the Spanish National Radio