Marílson Gomes dos Santos
Dos Santos at the 2016 Olympics
August 6, 1977 |
Brasília, DF, Brazil
|Height||174 cm (5 ft 9 in)|
|Weight||58 kg (128 lb)|
|Event(s)||5000 m, 10,000, half marathon, marathon|
|Coached by||Adauto Domingues|
|Achievements and titles|
|Personal best(s)||5000 m – 13:19.43 (2006)
10,000 m – 27:28.12 (2007)
HM – 59:33 (2007)
Mar – 2:06:34 (2011)
|Updated on 14 June 2014.|
Marílson Gomes dos Santos (born 6 August 1977) is a Brazilian long-distance runner. He won the 2006 and 2008 New York City Marathon, becoming the first South American to win the race. He was selected as the best male performer at the 2009 Brazilian national championships after breaking the meet records in both the 5000 metres and 10,000 metres races. He is the current South American record holder in both these events with times of 13:19.43 and 27:28.12, respectively.
He has won medals at the South American Cross Country Championships, starting with a silver in the junior race in 1996, then taking the bronze in the men's long race in 2000, before winning his first championship title in 2008.
He ran at the 2010 London Marathon and came close to a personal best time, finishing in 2:08:46 for sixth place behind Abel Kirui. He signed up for the New York Marathon that year and used the Troféu Brasil de Atletismo (the Brazilian athletics championships) as his preparation, winning the 10,000 m title. He secured his third career win at the Saint Silvester Race in São Paulo at the end of the year – a record number for the competition in the international era.
Dos Santos competed in the marathon at the 2008, 2012 Summer Olympics and 2016 Olympics with the best result of fifth place in 2012. He is married to Juliana Paula dos Santos, a fellow runner who won gold medals at the 2007 and 2015 Pan American Games. They have a son Miguel.
- Marílson dos Santos. Sports reference
- Marilson dos Santos. rio2016.com
- Marílson dos Santos. nbcolympics.com
- Marílson Gomes dos Santos profile at IAAF
- A Equipe – Atletas Masculino – Perfil – Marílson Gomes dos Santos (in Portuguese), Clube de Atletismo BM&F Bovespa, retrieved June 13, 2014
- Biography – SANTOS Marilson, retrieved June 14, 2014
- Biscayart, Eduardo (2009-06-08). Murer vaults to world leading 4.82m at Brazilian nationals. IAAF. Retrieved on 2009-06-09.
- Continental Cross Country Championships and Cups. GBR Athletics. Retrieved on 2010-03-02.
- Biscayart, Eduardo (2008-03-04). Marílson dos Santos on course for Edinburgh – South American XC Champs. IAAF. Retrieved on 2010-03-02.
- Brown, Matthew (2010-04-25). Commanding victories for Kebede and Shobukhova – London Marathon report. IAAF. Retrieved on 2010-04-28.
- Biscayart, Eduardo (2010-09-20). Murer vaults 4.70m at Brazilian championships. IAAF. Retrieved on 2010-09-22.
- Biscayart, Eduardo (2011-01-01). Dos Santos and Timbilil cruise to Sao Paulo wins. IAAF. Retrieved on 2011-01-01.
- Brown, Matthew (2011-04-17). Mutai and Keitany dominate and dazzle in London. IAAF. Retrieved on 2011-04-24.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Marílson dos Santos.|