Mar Ivanios College
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Mar Ivanios Malankara Catholic College|
|Principal||Rev. Dr. Gigi Thomas Mullenkuzhy|
|Location||Trivandrum, Kerala, India|
Mar Ivanios College is an educational institutuion situated in Trivandrum, the capital city of Kerala, India. The college is located on a small scenic hilltop with a sprawling campus area of hundreds of acres in Bethany Hills, Nalanchira, Thiruvananthapuram.
The motto of the college is ‘Veritas Vos Liberabit’ which means ‘Truth shall Liberate You’.
The alumni association AMICOS (Association of Mar Ivanios College Old Students) has chapters in different countries.
The College was founded in 1949 as an affiliated college of the then University of Travancore, later on under the Kerala University. The college is the dream child of the Late Archbishop Geevarghese Ivanios of the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church.
- Physical Education
- Journalism and Mass Communication
- Tourism Studies
Mar Ivanios College offers 10 degree courses and 8 post-graduate courses. The Departments of Zoology, Chemistry and Physics are recognized research centres. It also offers facilities for an Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) centre and an International Development Enterprises (IDE) centre.
- BSc Physics
- BSc Chemistry
- BSc Mathematics
- BSc Botany
- BSc Zoology
- BA English
- BA Economics
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Journalism, Mass Communication and Video Production
- BA LLB
- MSc Physics
- MSc Chemistry
- MSc Mathematics
- MSc Zoology
- MA English
- M Com
- MTA (Master of Tourism Administration)
- MA Malayalam
- The college is the first institution in the University of Kerala to receive accreditation from the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC)
- Re-accreditation by NAAC with 'A' grade
- Malcom Adisheshaiah Commission for the study of Higher Education in Kerala recommended Autonomous Status for the College in 1985
- The College has been short listed by the UGC for the autonomous status
- IPR status has been submitted to the University
- Dr. Jijimon K. Thomas, Dept of Physics has 6 patents, 4 International and 2 National.
- Dr. Suju C. Joseph, Dept of Chemistry has 3 patents including a US patent.
Debates, music, dance, sports, games, social work and other cultural programmes are at Mar Ivanios campus.
Alumni association: AMICOS
The alumni association AMICOS aims at establishing and maintaining close contact and friendship with all those who leave the college after their studies. Old students are enrolled as members and are informed of college activities, progress and achievements. They are invited to an annual get-together at the college. The executive committee elected annually is responsible for the functioning of the association.
AMICOS has a wing known as AMIFOM (AMICOS Friends of Music), with the objective of promoting the musical talents of former and present students of Mar Ivanios College
The award instituted by AMICOS, in memory of the first principal and patron of AMICOS, has been given to the following persons: Dr. S. Jones (1996), Shri. Viswanathan (1997), Padmabhushan Dr. V. Kurian (1998), Padmabhushan K. M. Mathew (1999), Prof. S. Guptan Nair (2000) Padmavibhushan Justice V. R. Krishna Iyer (2001), Padma Bhushan Dr. M. S. Valiathan (2002), Dr. Vinod Thomas (director general operations, World Bank) (2003), Padmabhushan Dr. G. Madhavan Nair, chairman, ISRO (2005), Kamala Surayya (2007),Bharat Ratna Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam (2008).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mar Ivanios College.|
- College website
- AMICOS Kuwait Chapter
- AMICOS Dubai Chapter website
- Syro-Malankara Catholic Church
- Syro-Malankara Catholic Church - alternative site built by Malankarites
- Kerala University