Mar Ivanios College
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Mar Ivanios Malankara Catholic College|
|Motto||Veritas vos liberabit|
Motto in English
|the truth shall set you free|
|Founder||Servant of God Geevarghese Mar Ivanios|
|Chairman||His Beatitude Moran Mor Baselious Cardinal Cleemis Catholicos|
|Principal||Rev. Dr. Gigi Thomas Mullenkuzhy|
|Location||Trivandrum, Kerala, India|
Basketball, Cricket, Football, Badminton,Chess
Mar Ivanios College is an educational institutuion situated in Trivandrum, the capital city of Kerala, India. The college is located on a small scenic hilltop with a sprawling campus area of hundreds of acres in Bethany Hills, Nalanchira, Thiruvananthapuram. Mar Ivanios College was established in 1949 by Geevarghese Mar Ivanios, the first Archbishop of Trivandrum.
The College is the first Institution in the University of Kerala to receive accreditation from the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) in 1999. The College was also the first to be re-assessed and re-accredited with ‘A’ Grade by NAAC in 2004. In 2011 the College was re-assessed by the NAAC Peer team as part of the Third Cycle of re-accreditation process.
Mar Ivanios College became the first private college affiliated to the University of Kerala to receive the status of CPE from the UGC. Upon the recommendation of the University Grants Commission (UGC), the college has been conferred autonomy status by the University of Kerala with effect from 13 June 2014.
The motto of the college is ‘Veritas Vos Liberabit’ which means ‘Truth shall Liberate You’.
The alumni association AMICOS (Association of Mar Ivanios College Old Students) has chapters in different countries.The UGC has recognised Mar Ivanios College as one among the six colleges in Kerala accorded with the status of 'College with Potential for Excellence'(CPE).
The College was founded in 1949 as an affiliated college of the then University of Travancore, later on under the Kerala University. The college was the dream child of the Late Archbishop Geevarghese Ivanios of the Syro-Malankara Catholic Church, after whom the college was named.
Rev. Fr. Geevarghese Valiyachangaveettil
Dr. K. Oommachan
Rev. Fr. Joshua Kochuvilayil
- English (Aided)
- Commerce (Aided)
- Physical Education
- Journalism and Mass Communication
- Tourism Studies
- Software development
- English (Self-financing)
- Commerce (Self-financing)
Mar Ivanios College offers 15 degree courses and 8 post-graduate courses. The Departments of Zoology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Malayalam, Commerce, Biotechnology, Journalism and English are recognized research centres. It also offers facilities for an Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) centre and an International Development Enterprises (IDE) centre.
- BSc Physics
- BSc Chemistry
- BSc Mathematics
- BSc Botany
- BSc Zoology
- BA English (Aided)
- BA Economics
- Bachelor of Commerce (Aided)
- Bachelor of Journalism, Mass Communication and Video Production
- BA LLB
- BVoc (Tourism and Hospitality)
- BVoc (Software Development)
- BA English (Self-financing)
- Bachelor of Commerce (Self-financing)
- MSc Physics
- MSc Chemistry
- MSc Mathematics
- MSc Zoology
- MA English
- M Com
- MTTM (Master of Travel and Tourism Management)
- MA Malayalam
Rev.Fr.BENEDICT O.I.C(HB Benedict Mar Gregorios)
Rev. Fr. Daniel Kuzhithadathil
Rev.Dr.Samuel kattukallil (H.E. Samuel Mar Irenios)
Rev. Dr. Mathew Manakarakavil
Dr. K.M. Francis
Dr. Mathews Cheriyan Msc, BEd, MPhil, PhD
- The college is the first institution in the University of Kerala to receive accreditation from the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC)
- Re-accreditation by NAAC with 'A' grade
- Malcom Adisheshaiah Commission for the study of Higher Education in Kerala recommended Autonomous Status for the College in 1985
- The College won the R. Sankar award instituted by the Govt. Of Kerala, for the best college for the year 1997-98
- The College has been short listed by the UGC for the autonomous status
- Cambridge English Exam Preparation Centre status conferred
- Champions in the University Youh Festival over the years
- IPR status has been submitted to the University
- CPE status conferred by the UGC. This college is one among the six at the State level and 47 at the National level to achieve this status
- Dr. Jijimon K. Thomas, Dept of Physics has 6 patents, 4 International and 2 National.
- Dr. Suju C. Joseph, Dept of Chemistry has 3 patents including a US patent.
- Appoved Cambridge University ESOL Training/Examination Centre
Departrment of Economics
The Department of Economics, the first department of the College, was established in the year 1949. Originally it was a combined department of Economics, History and Political Science. Later by 1996 as per the UGC directions the department was trifurcated and the Department of Economics was established as a separate department. The Department offers B A Degree in Economics with History/Mathematics and Political Science as the complementary papers. The Economics Department offers the core paper, the complementary optional paper, History is offered by the Department of History, the second complementary optional paper Mathematics is offered by the Dept. of Mathematics and the complementary paper Political Science is offered by the Department of Political Science. The Department has an energetic association namely Mar Ivanios Economic Association. Head of the Department- Dr. Jessy Thomas
- St. Thomas Hostel for Men:
This single room hostel, a 'Home-away-from-home', provides residential facilities to 150 men students.
- St. Alphonsa Hostel for Women
- Mar Ivanios Bethany Ladies Hostel
- M.T.T. Hostel for Women
Ivano Fest - annual national intercollegiate fest conducted by Mar Ivanios College Cultural activities, Sports, Arts festivals, National and Inter national seminars, Quiz competitions etc.
The Mar Ivanios Trophy/ Ivano Cup
Mar Ivanios College has been conducting the Inter-Collegiate Basketball Tournament every year for the prestigious Ivano Cup for both men and women, since 1957. The best teams in South India participate in the tournament.
Alumni association: AMICOS
The alumni association AMICOS aims at establishing and maintaining close contact and friendship with all those who leave the college after their studies. Old students are enrolled as members and are informed of college activities, progress and achievements. They are invited to an annual get-together at the college. The executive committee elected annually is responsible for the functioning of the association.
There are many famous people graduated from this college. Some are:
writer Kamala Surayya, Dr. S Jones, Dr. Vishwanathan, Padma Bhushan Dr. V Kurien, Padmabhushan Dr. KM Mathew, Dr.Vinod Thomas, Padmabhushan Dr.Madhavan Nair, chairman of ISRO, music director M.Jayachandran, and many other well-known people were produced by Mar Ivanios College.
FAMICOS has a wing known as AMIFOM (AMICOS Friends of Music), with the objective of promoting the musical talents of former and present students of Mar Ivanios College
The award instituted by AMICOS, in memory of the first principal and patron of AMICOS, has been given to the following persons: Dr. S. Jones (1996), Shri. Viswanathan (1997), Padmabhushan Dr. V. Kurian (1998), Padmabhushan K. M. Mathew (1999), Prof. S. Guptan Nair (2000) Padmavibhushan Justice V. R. Krishna Iyer (2001), Padma Bhushan Dr. M. S. Valiathan (2002), Dr. Vinod Thomas (director general operations, World Bank) (2003), Padmabhushan Dr. G. Madhavan Nair, chairman, ISRO (2005), Kamala Surayya (2007),Bharat Ratna Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam (2008).
- Justice J B Koshy
- Dr. G. Madhavan Nair
- K. Muraleedharan
- Jagathi Sreekumar
- Anoop Jacob
- Kamala Surayya
- P. T. Thomas
- M. Jayachandran
- Sithara Balakrishnan
- Erickavu N. Sunil
- Nazriya Nazim
- Abhirami (actress)
- Sooraj Santhosh
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mar Ivanios College.|
- College website
- AMICOS Kuwait Chapter
- AMICOS Dubai Chapter website
- Syro-Malankara Catholic Church
- Syro-Malankara Catholic Church - alternative site built by Malankarites
- Kerala University
- "Wayback Machine" (PDF). 2017-09-25. Retrieved 2017-10-16.