|• Total||774.447 km2 (299.016 sq mi)|
Maraú is a municipality in the state of Bahia in the North-East region of Brazil. . The municipality is located in a peninsula called "Península de Maraú", physiographic area called "Região Cacaueira" (cocoa region). The city is rich in minerals, especially oil shale gypsum and oil.
The town originally called "Mayrahú" was an Indian village called "Mayra". No one knows about the disappearance of the Indian tribe, nor to which branch it belonged. The area was discovered in 1705 by Italian Capuchin friars who named it "São Sebastião de Mayrahú" (St. Sebastian of Mayrahú). In 1938 it became a city. Maraú has beautiful beaches of rare beauty and clear water surrounds most of its villages. It also has dozens of islands, waterfalls, mangroves ... Its best-known villages are: Barra Grande, Saquaíra, Taipus de Fora and Algodões
- Três Coqueiros;
- Taipús de Fora;
- "Censo Populacional 2010". Censo Populacional 2010. Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatística (IBGE). 29 November 2010. Retrieved 11 December 2010.
- "Divisão Territorial do Brasil" (in Portuguese). Divisão Territorial do Brasil e Limites Territoriais, Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatística (IBGE). July 1, 2008. Retrieved December 17, 2009.
- "Estimativas da população para 1º de julho de 2009" (PDF) (in Portuguese). Estimativas de População, Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatística (IBGE). August 14, 2009. Retrieved December 17, 2009.
- "Ranking decrescente do IDH-M dos municípios do Brasil" (in Portuguese). Atlas do Desenvolvimento Humano, Programa das Nações Unidas para o Desenvolvimento (PNUD). 2000. Retrieved December 17, 2009.
- "Produto Interno Bruto dos Municípios 2002-2005" (PDF) (in Portuguese). Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatística (IBGE). December 19, 2007. Retrieved December 17, 2009.
- APA da Baía de Camamu (in Portuguese), ISA: Instituto Socioambiental, retrieved 2016-10-28
|This Bahia, Brazil location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|