Mara Švel-Garmišek attended the elementary school in Sremska Mitrovica. She continued her education in gymnasium in Sušak, and after that, she went to study the medicine.
Mara Švel-Garmišek hasn't finished her study, she married. Since 1923 she turned to literary work. Later, she moved to Zagreb.
She began publishing her works in early 1940s, at Matica hrvatska. Already then, her works have drawn the attention of readers. Being Šokica itself, she has described the life of Šokci Croats in her books. In wider sense, she belong to the phenomenon of žensko šokačko pismo ("female literature of Šokci"). She was the working with magazine Hrvatska revija, publishing some of her poetry in it in 1976.
- Šuma i Šokci, 1940
- Hrast, Zagreb, 1942
- Portreti nepoznatih žena, 1942
- Priče za Sveu i Karen, 1967
- Legende, 1969
- Izabrana djela, 1970
- Ovim šorom Jagodo, 1975
Works about Mara Švel-Garmišek
- Katica Čorkalo: Poslanica Mari Švel-Gamiršek / An Epistle to Mara Švel-Gamiršek, in: The papers presented at the scientific conference held in 1997, str. 53-56, Hrašće, Drenovci, 1998.
The elementary school in Vrbanja, in eastern Croatia, is named after Mara Švel-Garmišek.
- (Croatian) Oš Mara Švel-Gamiršek Vrbanja About the name of elementary school in Vrbanja
- (Croatian) Matica hrvatska - ogranak Tovarnik Hrvatska riječ u Srijemu - Antologija srijemskih pisaca (photo)
- Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts Katica Čorkalo: Scientific works