From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|João Correa da Rocha Airport
Aeroporto João Correa da Rocha
|Elevation AMSL||109 m / 357 ft|
It is operated by Infraero.
The airport was inaugurated on May 20, 1978.
Airlines and destinations
|Azul Brazilian Airlines||Belém, Belo Horizonte-Confins, Brasília, Carajás, Tucuruí|
|Gol Airlines||Belém, Brasília|
|LATAM Brasil||Belém, Brasília|
Accidents and incidents
- 3 September 1989: a Varig Boeing 737-241 registration PP-VMK operating flight 254 flying from São Paulo-Guarulhos to Belém-Val de Cans with intermediate stops, crashed near São José do Xingu while on the last leg of the flight between Marabá and Belém due to a pilot navigational error, which led to fuel exhaustion and a subsequent belly landing into the jungle, 450 miles (724 km) southwest of Marabá. Out of 54 occupants, there were 13 fatalities, all of them passengers. The survivors were discovered two days later.
The airport is located 5 km (3 mi) from downtown Marabá.
- "Estatísticas" (in Portuguese). Infraero. 2 February 2016. Retrieved 11 June 2016.
- "Airport Official Website" (in Portuguese). Infraero.
- "Lista de aeródromos públicos" (in Portuguese). ANAC.
- "Accident description PP-VMK". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved June 25, 2011.
- Germano da Silva, Carlos Ari César (2008). "Rumo errado". O rastro da bruxa: história da aviação comercial brasileira no século XX através dos seus acidentes 1928-1996 (in Portuguese) (2 ed.). Porto Alegre: EDIPUCRS. pp. 352–360. ISBN 978-85-7430-760-2.
- Airport information for SBMA at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.Source: DAFIF.
- Airport information for SBMA at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective October 2006).
- Current weather for SBMA at NOAA/NWS
- Accident history for MAB at Aviation Safety Network
- Marabá Airport Photo Archive at airliners.net