Maradana railway station
|Owned by||Sri Lanka Railways|
Kelani Valley Line
Maradana Railway Station (Sinhala: මරදාන දුම්රිය ස්ථානය, Tamil: மருதானை ரயில் நிலையம்) is a major rail hub in Colombo, Sri Lanka. The station is served by Sri Lanka Railways, with many inter-city and commuter trains entering each day. It is the terminus of several intercity trains.
Maradana is home to the suburban-Colombo network's centralised traffic control centre.
When the railways first opened in Ceylon (Sri Lanka) in 1864, trains terminated at Colombo Terminus Station, a now-retired station near Maradana. In 1906, a project was launched to reorganise the railway within the Colombo area. Colombo Terminus Station was closed and replaced by the new Maradana Station.
Maradana Station features a two-storey building housing the ticket office, waiting room, and Sri Lanka Railways offices. A footbridge leads to the platforms. The main building is an example of British colonial architecture.
The station is served from the north-east by the Main line, which leads to several other major routes in Sri Lanka's railway network. To the south-east of the station, the Kelani Valley Line connects Maradana with many other area of Colombo. The station is served to the west by the Coastal line, leading to Galle and Matara. Most of these Coastal-line trains terminate at Maradana Station.
Maradana station is also a hub for commuter rail within the Colombo metropolis.
|4001 & 4002 Yal Devi||Colombo Fort – Colombo Maradana – Vavuniya – (Jaffna) – (Kankesanturai)||Daily|
|4451, 4468 & 4470||Colombo Fort – Colombo Maradana – Ragama - Polgahawela – Kurunegala - Maho||Daily|
|8085, 8086, 4085, & 4086 Rajarata Rajina||Anuradhapura – Maho – Kurunegala – Polgahawela – Maho – Ragama – Colombo Maradana – Colombo Fort – Panadura - Galle – Matara||Daily|
|6011 & 6012 Udaya Devi||Colombo Fort – Colombo Maradana – Batticaloa||Daily|
|1015 & 1016 Udarata Menike||Colombo Fort – Colombo Maradana – Ragama - Polgahawela – Peradeniya - Nawalapitiya - Hatton - Nanu Oya - Pattipola - Ella - Badulla||Daily|
|1005 & 1006 Podi Menike||Colombo Fort – Colombo Maradana – Ragama - Polgahawela – Peradeniya - Nawalapitiya - Hatton - Nanu Oya - Pattipola - Ella - Badulla||Daily|
|Tikiri Menike||Colombo Fort – Colombo Maradana – Ragama - Polgahawela – Peradeniya - Nawalapitiya - Hatton - Nanu Oya - Pattipola - Ella - Badulla||Daily|
|Senkadagala Menike||Colombo Fort – Colombo Maradana – Ragama - Polgahawela – Peradeniya - Kandy||Daily|
|8058 & 8059 Ruhunu Kumari||Colombo Maradana – Colombo Fort – Panadura - Galle – Matara||Daily|
|8760 & 8327 Samudra Devi||Colombo Maradana – Colombo Fort – Panadura - Galle – Matara||Daily|
|8056 & 8057 Galu Kumari||Colombo Maradana – Colombo Fort – Panadura - Galle – Matara||Daily|
|8096 & 8097 Sagarika||Colombo Maradana – Colombo Fort – Panadura - Galle-Matara-Beliatta||Daily|
|3427 & 3803 Muthu Kumari||Colombo Fort – Colombo Maradana – Ragama - Negombo – Chilaw - Bangadeniya - Puttalam||Daily|
Commuter and local trains
|Towards Ja Ela||-|
|Kelani Valley Line||-|
|Preceding station||Sri Lanka Railways||Following station|
|Terminus||Ruhunu Kumari||Colombo Fort|
|Samudra Devi||Colombo Fort|
|Galu Kumari||Colombo Fort|
|Ragama||Muthu Kumari||Colombo Fort|
|Ragama||Rajarata Rajina||Colombo Fort|
|Ragama||Udarata Menike||Colombo Fort|
|Podi Menike||Colombo Fort|
|Tikiri Menike||Colombo Fort|
|Senkadagala Menike||Colombo Fort|
|Baseline Road||Kelani Valley Line||Terminus|
|Dematagoda||Commuter Rail||Colombo Fort|
- Railway stations in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka Railways
- List of railway stations by line order in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka Railways
- "Hyatt, D. An Overview of the Development of the Sri Lanka Railway 2009" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2018-07-14. Retrieved 2011-10-26.
- "Daily News". IESL proposes railway electrification project. 2010-12-25. Archived from the original on 2012-03-08.
- "Sri Lanka Railways Timetable" Archived 2012-01-04 at the Wayback Machine
- Cave, Henry. "The Ceylon government railway: a descriptive and illustrated guide..." London: Cassell and Company, Limited. approx. 1910. https://books.google.com/books?id=GzwdAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA31&lpg=PA31&dq=colombo+terminus+station&source=bl&ots=wcsJvT6NgG&sig=Mj4tRpSY5z7KC_-w7CZchxvBMe0&hl=en&ei=mUrHTsLpMsnf0QGs1rgs&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&sqi=2&ved=0CD0Q6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=colombo%20terminus%20station&f=false
- "The Island". Rampala regime in the local Railway History. 2010-07-19.
- "Railway Centralised Traffic Control (CTC) Center". Sri Lanka Railways. Retrieved 6 February 2012.