|Directed by||ARK Saravan|
|Produced by||G. Dillibabu|
|Screenplay by||ARK Saravan|
|Story by||ARK Saravan|
Daniel Annie Pope
|Music by||Dhibu Ninan Thomas|
|Edited by||Prasanna GK|
Axess Film Factory
Maragadha Naanayam (English: Emerald Coin) is a 2017 Tamil fantasy comedy film written and directed by ARK Saravan, starring Aadhi and Nikki Galrani in the lead roles. The teaser of the movie was released on March 11. The film was dubbed and released in Telugu as Marakathamani. This film was released to critical acclaim from critics as well the audience.
Prelude: Nearly 1,000 years ago, King Irumporai of the Pallava dynasty possessed a huge emerald medallion. When he died, he was buried with the stone. Eventually, someone retrieved it from his grave. Anyone who touches the stone dies of unnatural causes. In 1992, it was owned by a man (Gajaraj). One day as he was leaving his home, he got hit by a truck and died.
Present day: Senguttuvan (Aadhi) and Elango (Daniel Annie Pope) are two small-time crooks who work for a jewel smuggler Ramdoss (Ramdoss). Senguttuvan has a crush on Chanakya (Nikki Galrani). One day as he is watching her, another man pulls up beside her. He then introduces himself to Senguttuvan and informs him that he is engaged to the girl. A few months later, Senguttuvan and Elango see the couple, now married.
A Chinese businessman comes to the city looking to acquire the emerald stone (Maragatha Naanayam). He hires a contractor John (Mime Gopi), who Rs. 10 crores for the contract. Senguttuvan and Elango decide to pursue the contract to find the emerald stone. They approach a priest (Kota Srinivasa Rao), who hands Senguttuvan a lemon, at which point the ghosts of the 132 people killed by the curse are revealed to Senguttuvan. The priest tells them they will need to seek the help of one of the ghosts. Senguttuvan and Elango complete the ritual to summon one of the ghosts, Elango's uncle. Before the ghost could appear, they find out that Ramdoss has died and attend the funeral. Later at Elango's home, he wakes up to find Ramdoss standing in front of him. It turned out that during the burial, the lemon fell out of Senguttuvan's pocket and onto Ramdoss's hands. Elango's uncle's ghost possessed the body and has appeared in front of them.
Elango's uncle ghost tells them they will need to bring back three more corpses for the mission. The first corpse is an panhandler (Sangili Murugan) who died alongside the road. The second is a man (Arunraja Kamaraj) who was decapitated in a freak accident. The third is Chanakya, who hanged herself. Elango's uncle brings two of the ghosts to their new bodies. One of them, a Tamil teacher, has trouble staying in the panhandler's body. Senguttuvan, Elango, and the three ghosts who are in their borrowed bodies pursue the emerald stone. This leads them to recover an emerald medallion, which is actually fake. Their methods draw the attention of the most powerful local gang leader Ramanathan (Anandaraj).
The group finds the man who made the fake. The man tells them that a doctor has the real one. They find his son, who is also a doctor, and kidnap him. Before they can get him to tell them where the original medallion is, they are rounded up by Ramanathan's men and are taken to his chamber, where they manage to find the original. Senguttuvan and Elango arrange a meeting with the businessman for the exchange. On the way, they are pursued by a truck, which the ghosts were killed by. John and the businessman are run over by the truck and killed. They then run into the Tamil teacher. He tells them they must return the stone to the king's grave to lift the curse. The group manages to get to the gravesite. Before they can return the stone, Ramanathan's gang shows up. Senguttuvan makes a deal that they will place the stone in the grave, which they can then take. Senguttuvan and Elango place the stone in the grave, and Ramanathan has one of his men recover the stone.
Having completed the job, Senguttuvan and Elango bid goodbye to the four ghosts. The ghost inside Chanakya's body allows Senguttvan to listen to the voice of her and propose to him, and her body is also buried. They bid farewell to Ilango's uncle. At the closing scene, Senguttuvan and Elango see Ramanathan panicked and scared. He tells them that the truck got to them and a mysterious dark figure killed his man who recovered the stone and is now pursuing him.
- Aadhi as Senguttuvan, a small-time crook who works under his friend's boss Ramdoss.
- Nikki Galrani as Chanakaya, Senguttuvan's crush. She committed suicide and was took to put in Chidambaram's (Elango's uncle) friend's soul.
- Anandaraj as 'Twinkle' Ramanathan, the number one smuggler in Chennai.
- Ramdoss as 'Nochchukuppam' Ramdoss, the smallest smuggler who drops all big deals because of his health conditions. One day, he dies and comes back for several reasons with a new soul, namely Chidambaram.
- Daniel Annie Pope as Elango, Ramdoss's worker who does all deals and Senguttuvan's childhood friend.
- Mime Gopi as John, the dealer who deals with all smugglers to take Maragatha Naanayam after collaborating with a Chinese man.
- Kota Srinivasa Rao as the priest who helps protect Senguttuvan and Elango from their curse.
- M. S. Bhaskar as Pandurangan, the man who brings the fake Maragatha Naanayam for over 20 years.
- Arunraja Kamaraj as the drunken dead body who took Chidambaram's friend soul to help them. The soul name is Nesamani.
- Sangili Murugan as the homeless dead body and Tamizh Aiyaa (ghost).
- Gajaraj as the doctor who protects Maragatha Naanayam for over 20 years.
- Shanthi Mani as Ramdoss's mother
- Blade Shankar as Gajaraj's son, a doctor.
- Kaali Venkat as Chidambaram (Ghost)
- Brahmanandam as Pilot
In May 2016, Axess Film Factory announced that they were making a fantasy-adventure comedy film directed by newcomer ARK.Saravan, who had worked an associate director to Ramkumar during Mundaasupatti (2014). Aadhi and Nikki Galrani were signed on to play the leading roles, marking their second collaboration after Yagavarayinum Naa Kaakka  The film's shoot commenced on 2016 May 26, and by August 10 the shoot was completed.
The film's soundtrack was composed by first-timer Dhibu Ninan Thomas.
|Soundtrack album by |
Dhibu Ninan Thomas
|Producer||Dhibu Ninan Thomas|
|Dhibu Ninan Thomas chronology|
|Tracklist (Tamil version)|
|1.||"Karuppaadu"||Arunraja Kamaraj, Dhibu Ninan Thomas||3:58|
|2.||"Nee Kavithaigala"||Pradeep Kumar||4:36|
|4.||"Kottai Aanda Arasan"||Arunraja Kamaraj||4:10|
|Tracklist (Telugu version)|
|1.||"Black Sheepu"||Arunraja Kamaraj, Kapil||4:06|
|2.||"Ye Kavithalano"||Pradeep Kumar||4:46|
|4.||"Dwantham Kamme"||Arunraja Kamaraj||4:18|
- "Maragatha Naanayam (2017) - Maragatha Naanayam (Maragatha nanayam) Tamil Movie - Maragatha Naanayam Review, Cast & Crew, Release Date, Photos, Videos – Filmibeat". FilmiBeat.
- "Marakathamani telugu movie review - Marakathamani Telugu Movie Review and Rating - 123telugu.com". 17 June 2017.
- "This time it's a fantasy film for Aadhi and Nikki Galrani - Times of India".
- "Nikki Galrani to team with Aadhi for debutant Saravanan's film". 25 May 2016.
- "Maragadha Naanayam to premiere on Zee Tamil". Times Of India. 14 December 2017. Retrieved 20 April 2018.