Bachu; Maralbashi; Maralbeshi; Pachu
Location of the county (red) within Kashgar Prefecture (yellow) and Xinjiang
|Country||People's Republic of China|
|• Total||18,490.59 km2 (7,139.26 sq mi)|
|• Density||21/km2 (53/sq mi)|
|• Major ethnic groups||Uyghur|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (China Standard)|
|Alternative Chinese name|
|Second alternative Chinese name|
Bachu County (Chinese: 巴楚县), also transliterated from Uyghur as Maralbexi County (Maralbeshi, Uyghur: مارالبېشى ناھىيىسى; Chinese: 玛热勒巴什县 or Chinese: 巴尔楚克县) the former long Chinese name as well, is located in the southwest of the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region of the People's Republic of China and is under the administration of the Kashgar Prefecture. It has an area of 18,491 km2 (7,139 sq mi), and surrounds, but does not administer, the sub-prefecture-level city of Tumxuk. According to the 2002 census, it has a population of 380,000.
In October 2014, twenty-two died in an incident at a farmer's market in the county.
Towns (بازىرى / 镇)
- Maralbeshi (Bachu Town; مارالبېشى بازىرى / 巴楚镇), Seriqbuya (Serikbuya, Selibuya; سېرىقبۇيا بازىرى / 色力布亚镇), Awat (Awati; ئاۋات بازىرى / 阿瓦提镇), Achal (Sanchakou; ئاچال بازىرى / 三岔口镇)
Townships (يېزىسى / 乡)
- Charbagh Township (Qiaerbage; چارباغ يېزىسى / 恰尔巴格乡), Doletbagh Township (Duolaitibage; دۆلەتباغ يېزىسى / 多来提巴格乡), Anarkol Township (Anakule; ئاناركۆل يېزىسى / 阿纳库勒乡), Shamal Township (Xiamale; شامال يېزىسى / 夏玛勒乡), Aqsaqmaral Township (Akesakemarele; ئاقساقمارال يېزىسى / 阿克萨克马热勒乡 / 阿克萨克玛热勒乡), Alaghir Township (Alage'er; ئالاغىر يېزىسى / 阿拉格尔乡 / 阿拉根乡), Chongqurchaq (Qiongkuerqiake; چوڭقۇرچاق يېزىسى / 琼库尔恰克乡 / 琼库恰克乡), Yengiosteng Township (Yingwusitang; يېڭىئۆستەڭ يېزىسى / 英吾斯塘乡)
- Xiahe Forest Plantation (下河林场), 兵团48团, 兵团52团
Agricultural products include corn, cotton, wheat and others as well as sword-leaf dogbane. The central and eastern parts of the county have old desert poplar forests. Animal herding is prominent and rock salt and phosphate fertilizer are produced in the county. Industries include food processing, plastics, rug making, electricity and construction.
|Climate data for Maralbexi County (1971−2000)|
|Average high °C (°F)||0.9
|Average low °C (°F)||−12.2
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||0.4
|Average precipitation days (≥ 0.1 mm)||1.0||1.1||0.8||0.8||2.6||4.7||5.5||4.1||2.3||0.8||0.2||0.9||24.8|
|Average relative humidity (%)||61||50||41||33||36||39||43||47||49||51||56||65||48|
|Mean monthly sunshine hours||180.6||177.8||194.5||229.3||267.5||301.7||308.1||285.4||265.4||258.1||212.8||177.8||2,859|
|Percent possible sunshine||61||59||53||58||61||68||68||67||71||75||71||61||64|
|Source: China Meteorological Administration|
Historical English-language maps including Maralbexi:
- From map: "DELINEATION OF INTERNATIONAL BOUNDARIES MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED AUTHORITATIVE".
- From map: "The representation of international boundaries is not necessarily authoritative."
- From map: "The representation of international boundaries is not necessarily authoritative"
- 巴楚县历史沿革. XZQH.org. 14 November 2014. Retrieved 25 February 2020.
- 巴楚县概况. 巴楚县人民政府网 (in Chinese). 8 December 2019. Retrieved 25 February 2020.
- Zhang Dongmiao, ed. (5 March 2017). "Xinjiang finishes first round of universal health checks". Xinhua News Agency. Retrieved 23 February 2020.
Thanks to the first universal health check in northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, Mtailipu Rosuli, 65, a Uygur man in Bachu (Maralbexi) County, had his first health examination of his life.
- Ben Blanchard (30 April 2013). Stephen Coates (ed.). "China says detains 19, seizes weapons after Xinjiang unrest". Reuters. Retrieved 23 February 2020.
The government has labeled the violence in Kashgar’s Maralbexi county as a “terrorist attack”, though the exiled World Uyghur Congress has said the shooting and killing of a young Uighur by “Chinese armed personnel” prompted the Uighurs to retaliate.
- Joshua Lipes (22 November 2019). "Xinjiang Authorities Undermine Muslim Abstention From Pork in Bid to Assimilate Uyghurs". Radio Free Asia. Translated by Elise Anderson. Retrieved 23 February 2020.
In October 2018, a photo was posted online by the government of Kashgar (in Chinese, Kashi) prefecture’s Maralbeshi (Bachu) county, which portrayed a Uyghur village head eating a piece of pork and calling on other Uyghurs to join him. The photo was taken down shortly after publishing.
RFA recently spoke with a village head in Maralbeshi who confirmed that the photo was real, and that local authorities are teaching people to eat pork as well.
- 夏征农; 陈至立, eds. (September 2009). 辞海：第六版彩图本 [Cihai (Sixth Edition in Color)] (in Chinese). Shanghai: Shanghai Lexicographical Publishing House. p. 58. ISBN 9787532628599.
- Luisetta Mudie, Parameswaran Ponnudurai. (24 April 2013). "Xinjiang Violence Leaves 21 Dead". Radio Free Asia. Retrieved 25 February 2020.CS1 maint: uses authors parameter (link)
- "Overview of the Maralbeshi Incident on 23 April 2013" (PDF). World Uyghur Congress. May 2013. Archived from the original (PDF) on 23 August 2016.
- Shohret Hoshur, Parameswaran Ponnudurai (18 October 2014). "22 Killed in Farmers' Market Attack in Xinjiang's Kashgar Prefecture". Radio Free Asia. Translated by Shohret Hoshur. Retrieved 25 February 2020.CS1 maint: uses authors parameter (link)
- 2018年统计用区划代码和城乡划分代码：巴楚县 (in Chinese). National Bureau of Statistics of the People's Republic of China. 2018. Retrieved 23 February 2020.
统计用区划代码 名称 653130100000 巴楚镇 653130101000 色力布亚镇 653130102000 阿瓦提镇 653130103000 三岔口镇 653130200000 恰尔巴格乡 653130201000 多来提巴格乡 653130202000 阿纳库勒乡 653130203000 夏马勒乡 653130204000 阿克萨克玛热勒乡 653130205000 阿拉根乡 653130206000 琼库恰克乡 653130207000 英吾斯坦乡 653130508000 兵团四十八团
- 行政区划. 巴楚县人民政府网 (in Chinese). 24 December 2019. Retrieved 23 February 2020.
|This Xinjiang location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|