Marana Regional Airport
|Marana Regional Airport|
|Owner/Operator||Town of Marana|
|Elevation AMSL||2,031 ft / 619 m|
Marana Regional Airport (IATA: AVW, ICAO: KAVQ, FAA LID: AVQ), also known as Marana Northwest Regional Airport or Avra Valley Airport, is a non-towered , general aviation airport about 15 miles (13 nmi; 24 km) northwest of Tucson, Arizona in Marana a town in Pima County, Arizona, United States. In 1999, the airport was purchased from Pima County by the town of Marana.
- 12/30 measuring 6,901 ft × 100 ft (2,103 m × 30 m)
- 3/21 measuring 3,893 ft × 75 ft (1,187 m × 23 m)
For the 12-month period ending April 19, 2017, the airport had 90,252 aircraft operations, an average of 248 per day: 67% general aviation, 11% air taxi, and 22% military. At that time there were 245 aircraft based at this airport: 88% single-engine, 2% ultralight, 6% multi-engine, 3% jet, 0.5% Gliders and 0.5% helicopters.
In 1943 then Marana Auxiliary Army Airfield No. 2 (aka Rillito Field) was one of five Auxiliary fields that served Marana Army Air Field (now: Pinal Airpark) and is part of many Arizona World War II Army Airfields. The United States Army Air Forces trained at Marana through World War II and the Korean War in North American T-6 Texan and T-28 Trojan aircraft.
The military sold the airport to a private operator and renamed Avra Valley Airport and in 1968 expanded the runway by 1200 feet. By 1972 there were more than 30 civilian aircraft based at the airport. In 1973 Pima County Department of Transportation bought the airport and expanded the runways even more. Further improvements into 1980s included making a parking lot, terminal building, and offices. Skyrider Cafe opened in 1983.
According to the Marana Regional Airport 2017 Airport Master Plan the airport plans to extend the end of runway 3 to 5,830 ft × 75 ft (1,777 m × 23 m), a 50% increase. A timeline for the improvements are not specified.
- FAA Airport Master Record for AVQ ( PDF), effective 2007-07-05
- FAA National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems: 2007-2011
- Great Circle Mapper: AVW / KAVQ - Tucson, Arizona (Marana Regional Airport)
- "Airport history". Town of Marana. Retrieved 2018-03-17.
- "2017 Marana Regional Airport Master Plan". calameo.com. Retrieved 2018-06-07.
- Marana Regional Airport at Town of Marana web site
- Marana Northwest Regional Airport (AVQ) at Arizona DOT airport directory
- "Avra Valley Airport: Economic Impact and Aviation Services" (PDF). (1.17 MiB)
- Listen to Live CTAF at Marana Regional Airport on LiveATC.net
- FAA Terminal Procedures for AVQ, effective June 21, 2018
- Resources for this airport: