|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
||This article contains embedded lists that may be poorly defined, unverified or indiscriminate. (December 2015)|
The Marathi language television industry was started in India in 1984. Although earlier confined to a half an hour slot in the national television Doordarshan, the industry has now expanded with many commercial TV channels currently on air. Various dedicated categories like news and movies have been added and have considerably expanded the horizon of Marathi TV entertainment.
General Entertainment Channel (GEC)
Marathi programming on TV started on 2 October 1972 (Gandhi Jayanti) on the state-owned Doordarshan channel. It was originally confined to a two-hour slot using a small transmitter that served few TV households.
On 15 August 1994 (Independence Day) Doordarshan launched DD Sahyadri as the first dedicated Marathi-language channel. DD Sahyadri was initially called RLSS Marathi.
On 15 August 1999, Zee Network launched Alpha Marathi which was later renamed to Zee Marathi. This period saw many new channels being launched including ETV's ETV Marathi (2000), Prabhat TV and Tara Marathi. However, both Prabhat and Tara were shut down in 2002.
Star TV started its GEC Star Pravah in 2008 with flagship serial Raja Shivachhatrapati on the life of Chhtrapati Shivaji Maharaj.
Fakt Marathi started in March 2016, Mumbai-based firm Enterr10 Television Pvt. Ltd owns the channel.
The Marathi Television got its first round-the-clock news channel in the form of Zee 24 Taas in the year 2007. STAR TV launched its Marathi news channel Star Majha in June 2007, which was later named as ABP Majha from 1 June 2012. Television 18 & Lokmat together formed a joint venture to launch IBN Lokmat in 2008. In 2009, TV9 Maharashtra launched. On 1 May 2013 another channel launched, namely Jai Maharashtra, by Mumbai based media group Sahana Films.
Marathi got its first round-the-clock Marathi movie channel in the form of Zee Talkies in November 2007.
9x Jhakaas was the first 24-hour Marathi music TV channel, launched on 31 October 2011.
Sangeet Marathi another brand New Marathi music channel launched on 18 September 2015
List of Marathi Television Channels
- State owned
- ABP Majha
- IBN Lokmat
- Jai Maharashtra
- TV9 Marathi
- Zee 24 Taas
- Maharashtra 1
- Mi Marathi News
- Garja Maharashtra
- HD Channels
- Upcoming Channels
- Akashvani Marathi (SW/AM)
- Akashvani Mumbai GOLD (100.7 FM)
- Akashvani Mumbai Rainbow (107.1 FM)
- Aapla FM 91.9 SANGLI MIRAJ
- Green FM 904 (Marathi 24 hrs for Sangli and Miraj City only)
Top five Marathi Channels in India
This is a list of top five Marathi Channels in India as per BARC ratings.
|Rank||Channel name||Weekly ratings (000s)
Week 24 (2016)
- "Layout 1 - PB 10-11 Eng_m" (PDF). Prasar Bharati. Prasar Bharati. 2011. Retrieved 27 January 2015.
- "ZEE Talkies Official Website - ZEE Talkies TV Schedule, latest news of marathi films, celebrities, info of all marathi movies new and old, watch promo & trailer videos". Zeetalkies.tv. Retrieved 2016-02-24.
- "9X JHAKAAS - India's First Marathi Music Channel". 9xjhakaas.in. 2015-05-31. Retrieved 2016-02-24.
- "AIR : Frequency Schedule : West Region Services". Allindiaradio.org. 2010-03-28. Retrieved 2010-09-07.
- "Top five Marathi Channels". BARC India=Week 24: Saturday,11th June 2016 to Friday,17th June 2016.