The project to create the encyclopedia started as a print project and was inaugurated in 1960, and Lakshman Shastri Joshi was named the first president of the project. The first volumes were published in 1976, and eventually 18 volumes were published by 2010. The encyclopedia began publishing the existing volumes on the internet on October 25, 2011, as announced by the Chief Minister of Maharashtra in Mumbai. Currently nineteen volumes of the encyclopedia are available online on the Internet.
Editors-in-Chief of Marathi Vishwakosh
The editors-in-chief of the Vishwakosh are as follows 
|1.||Tarkateertha Lakshman Shastri Joshi||November 19, 1960 to May 27, 1994|
|2.||Prof. M. P. Rege||June 4, 1994 to December 28, 2000|
|3.||shri. R. G. Jadhav||January 16, 2001 to February 10, 2003|
|4.||Dr. Shrikant Jichkar||July 21, 2003 to June 2, 2004|
|5.||Dr. Vijaya Wad||December 9, 2005 to December 8, 2008 and June 9, 2009 to June 30, 2015|
|6.||Dilip karambelkar||August 10, 2015 to January 2, 2020|
- (2 December 2011). 2nd volume of Marathi encyclopedia released, The Times of India
- Gole, Swati Shinde (16 November 2011). Marathi encyclopaedia goes online, The Times of India
- Kolhatkar, M.R. Vishwakosh or Marathi Encyclopedia: An Innovative Project of the New State of Maharashtra, in Innovations in Public Administration (S.S. Gadkari & M.R. Kolhatkar, eds.) (2000)
- Gokhale, Madhav (14 September 2003). The Great Marathi, The Indian Express (2003 report on status of the print version, with 16 volumes published at that time)
- (1 November 2011). Marathi Vishwakosh, Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (Government press release about online release of first volume)
- "पूर्व अध्यक्ष तथा प्रमुख संपादक" [Former Chairs and Chief Editors]. Marathi Vishwakosh (in Marathi). Retrieved May 8, 2021.