|Initial release||November 2006|
22.12.0 / 8 December 2022
|Preview release||1.5.0 (February 6, 2013[±])|
|Written in||C++ (Qt)|
|Operating system||Unix-like, Windows, Android|
|Available in||Multiple languages|
|Type||Virtual globe, route planning software|
Marble is a virtual globe application which allows the user to choose among the Earth, the Moon, Venus, Mars and other planets to display as a 3-D model. It is free software under the terms of the GNU LGPL, developed by KDE for use on personal computers and smart phones. It is written in C++ and uses Qt.
Marble is intended to be very flexible; beyond its cross-platform design, the core components can easily be integrated into other programs. It is designed to run without the need for hardware acceleration, but it can be extended to use OpenGL. An important user-experience objective being that the application start fairly quickly, it ships with a minimal but useful off-line dataset (5–10MB).
Contributors have added support for on-line mapping sources such as OpenStreetMap and the ability to interpret KML files. Marble also provides route planning capabilities. A navigation mode called MarbleToGo was developed as part of Google Summer of Code 2010. It was later partially rewritten and renamed to Marble Touch.
Geothek is a fork of Marble adding a statistics module, pixel maps, and a 3D view. It is developed and used by Austrian publisher Ed. Hölzel as atlas software for classrooms.
- ^ "Veröffentlichungen 22.12.0 2022-12-08". Retrieved 20 December 2020.
- ^ a b Nienhüser, Dennis. "Introducing Marble Touch". Archived from the original on 2011-11-29.
- ^ "Chapter 1. Introduction". KDE.
- ^ Nienhüser, Dennis (2010-07-24). "Worldwide and Offline Routing". Nienhueser.de. Archived from the original on 2010-07-29. Retrieved 2010-10-25.
- ^ "Show Student Project". Retrieved 2010-10-25.[permanent dead link]
- ^ Srivastava, Siddharth. "GSoC: MarbleToGo (Navigation Mode)". Blogspot. Retrieved 2010-10-25.
- ^ "A look at Geothek 1.1 Digital World Atlas". 2010-08-07.
- 2006 software
- Astronomy software
- Earth sciences graphics software
- Educational software for Linux
- Educational software for macOS
- Educational software for Windows
- Free educational software
- Free science software
- Free software programmed in C++
- Geography education software
- KDE Education Project
- Keyhole Markup Language
- Remote sensing software
- Route planning software
- Software that uses Qt
- Virtual globes
- KDE stubs