Marc Anthony Collection
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Products||Sportswear, dress shirts, neckwear, accessories, suit separates, sport coats and shoes|
The Marc Anthony Collection was an American lifestyle brand created by American recording artist Marc Anthony that is sold exclusively at Kohl's department stores and at Kohls.com. In November 2010, Kohl's announced a partnership with Anthony and his then-wife Jennifer Lopez. Originally marketed as "the first celebrity couple to simultaneously design collections for one retailer", following Anthony and Lopez's divorce, the lines were marked as two separate brands. The Marc Anthony Collection consists of sportswear, dress shirts, neckwear, accessories, suit separates, sport coats and shoes, while the Jennifer Lopez Collection includes contemporary sportswear, dresses, handbags, jewelry, shoes and sleepwear along with a home collection of bedding and towels.
Anthony had never been interested in fashion until Tommy Hilfiger called him and convinced him that what he represented was important and reminded him about how clothes can make you feel. Anthony stated that: "I realized that for me it was more important to be comfortable in clothes and look cool, but to feel comfortable in it". Anthony added that he concentrated on the attention of detail in his line, which he said is for anybody who's into "great quality clothes at a cheap price point".
—Anthony on working on the line with Lopez
Anthony and Lopez's partnership with Kohl's was announced during a press conference at the London Hotel in Los Angeles, California on November 18, 2010. The deal, which was marketed as "the first celebrity couple to simultaneously design collections for one retailer", was aimed at including men's and women's clothing, as well as homewares. Lopez's collection was revealed to feature women's dresses, sportswear, handbags and jewelry, while Anthony's was to contain men's dress shirts, ties, sport coats and shoes. Kohl's expected "the his-and-hers line" to expand into home accessories over time. The new venture was expected to generate up to $3 billion in additional sales for Kohl's in its first year alone. Lopez told the press the line was something that she really wants to do", saying: "For me, whenever I get involved with something, I get really involved. Every business that I do get involved with is something that is super-close to my heart." When asked why he decided to do a line for Kohl's, Anthony stated that: "I've been approached in the past to create a line, but I never saw myself as a fashionista or designer. It wasn't until I met with Kohl's and understood their vision and it was in line with everything I felt. I wouldn't say it was about fashion, it was just good quality, well made, practical clothing."
Following the couple's separation in July 2011, it was announced that the line would go forward as two separate clothing lines. A spokesperson told Women's Wear Daily that: "The Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony brands have always been positioned as two separate, distinctive collections that offer high-quality contemporary style for men and women, and we look forward to a successful September launch." Rick Darling, the president of LF USA, which is sublicensing the brands to Kohl's exclusively, added: "We have two separate agreements with Jennifer and Marc and always intended to have separate lines. [Their split] doesn't impact the agreements in any way."
The Marc Anthony Collection was launched at the Kohl's Department Store in the Newport Centre Mall in Jersey City on September 7, 2011. The debut of Anthony and Lopez's lines marked the biggest product launch in the retailer's history, according to CEO Kevin Mansell. To celebrate the launch of the Anthony and Lopez collections, Kohl's launched a Best Friends Getaway contest, offering fifteen winners a chance to "live it up with their best friend on an all-expense paid trip to New York City." The contest invited participants to submit a video "showing why they love Jennifer and/or Marc." The prize package included "entry to a star-studded NYC Fashion Week event in September, dinner at one of Jennifer and Marc's favorite NYC restaurants, a pampering session at an NYC salon, a $500 Kohl's gift card, $500 spending cash, and a flip cam to record and report the experience."
Prices range from $28 to $225. Of the collection, Anthony stated that it's "for anybody who wants to feel good in clothes." He was inspired to create the line after "years of having to wear clothing, in various situations, whether it be in public (or anywhere else)." He concluded: "It's just about how the clothes feel. You can wear cool, stylish clothes but they don't feel good. We made sure these clothes feel good. I'd wear them a billion percent [sic] of the time." Anthony said he had input throughout the whole designing process, "even though he doesn't have the technical skills to do things like create spec drawings."
- "Jennifer Lopez & Marc Anthony collections at Kohl's launch with online contest – 2011-07-11 21:37:46". Home Accents Today. Retrieved November 4, 2012.
- Castillo, Amaris. "WATCH: Marc Anthony Opens Up About Kohl's Line". Latina. Retrieved November 10, 2012.
- Arcos, Verky. "EXCLUSIVE: Marc Anthony on Working with Jennifer Lopez and Their Kohl's Lifestyle Line". Latina. Retrieved November 10, 2012.
- Hernandez, Lee (November 18, 2010). "J. Lo and Marc Anthony Partner with Kohl's on New Fashion Line". Latina. Retrieved November 10, 2012.
- Fenner, Justin (July 18, 2011). "Jennifer Lopez, Marc Anthony – DIVORCED – Kohl's Collaboration". Styleite. Retrieved November 4, 2012.
- "J. Lo, Marc Anthony to launch brand at Kohl's | Reuters". In.reuters.com. Retrieved November 4, 2012.
- "Jennifer Lopez | Jennifer Lopez's Fashion Line To Go Ahead". Contactmusic.com. July 19, 2011. Retrieved November 4, 2012.
- Reena Rose Sibayan/The Jersey Journal. "Video: Marc Anthony debuts companion to Jennifer Lopez's clothing line at Kohl's in Jersey City". NJ.com. Retrieved November 10, 2012.
- Thau, Barbara. "Will J.Lo and Marc Anthony Fashions Top the Charts for Kohl's?". DailyFinance. Retrieved November 4, 2012.
- Cobo, Leila (September 7, 2011). "Marc Anthony Officially Launches Kohl's Clothing Line, Kicks off Tour Friday". Billboard.biz. Retrieved November 10, 2012.