Marc Henry Aronson (born October 19, 1950) is an American writer, editor, publisher, speaker, and historian. He has written history and biography nonfiction books for children and young adults, as well as nonfiction books for adults about teenage readers. Aronson is the son of the scenic designer Boris Aronson, the grandson of rabbi Solomon Aronson, and of the musical conductor Heinrich Jalowetz.
In 2001 Aronson won the first Robert F. Sibert Medal for nonfiction for Sir Walter Ralegh and the Quest for El Dorado.
Aronson has a Ph.D. in American History from New York University. In 1997, he married author Marina Budhos. They have two sons and live in Maplewood, New Jersey.
Books for Middle-Grade Readers
- Ain’t Nothing but a Man: My Quest to Find the Real John Henry, with Scott Reynolds Nelson, National Geographic Children's Books, 2007
- For Boys Only: The Biggest, Baddest Book Ever, with HP Newquist, Feiwel & Friends, 2007
- The World Made New: Why the Age of Exploration Happened and How It Changed the World, with John W. Glenn, National Geographic Children's Books, 2007
- If Stones Could Speak: Unlocking the Secrets of Stonehenge, National Geographic Children's Books, 2010
- Sugar Changed the World, with Marina Budhos, Clarion Books, 2010
- Trapped: How the World Rescued 33 Miners from 2,000 Feet Below the Chilean Desert, Atheneum Books for Young Readers, 2011
- "The Skull in the Rock: How a Scientist a Scientist, A Boy, and Google Earth Opened a New Window Into Human Origins", with Dr. Lee R. Berger National Geographic Children's Books, 2012
Books for Young Adults
- Art Attack: A Brief Cultural History of the Avant-Garde, Clarion Books, 1998
- Sir Walter Ralegh and the Quest for El Dorado, Clarion Books, 2000
- John Winthrop, Oliver Cromwell, and the Land of Promise, Clarion Books, 2004
- The Real Revolution: The Global Story of American Independence, Clarion Books, 2005
- Witch-Hunt: Mysteries of the Salem Witch Trials, Atheneum Books for Young Readers, 2005
- Race: A History Beyond Black and White, Atheneum Books for Young Readers, 2007
- Robert F. Kennedy: Crusader, Viking Juvenile, 2007
- Bill Gates: Tycoon, Viking Juvenile, 2008
- Unsettled: The Problem of Loving Israel, Atheneum Books for Young Readers, 2008
- "Pick-Up-Game: A Full Day of Full Court" (co-editor) Candlewick Press, 2011
- Master of Deceit: J. Edgar Hoover and America in the Age of Lies, Candlewick Press, 2012
Books for adults
- Exploding the Myths: The Truth About Teenagers and Reading, Scarecrow Press, 2001
- Beyond the Pale: New Essays for a New Era, Scarecrow Press, 2003
- "Aronson, Solomon (1862–1935) : The Blackwell Dictionary of Judaica : Blackwell Reference Online". Blackwellreference.com. Retrieved 2012-06-22.
- "Consider the Source: Hello Again". June 26, 2012.
- "Sibert Medal winners". Ala.org. Retrieved 2012-06-22.
- Published: September 14, 1997 (1997-09-14). "New York Times wedding announcement for Marc Aronson and Marina Budhos". Nytimes.com. Retrieved 2012-06-22.
- New York Times review of For Boys Only
- Official website
- Nonfiction Matters, Aronson's School Library Journal blog
- Marc Aronson at Library of Congress Authorities, with 27 catalog records