Photo by Jalylah Burrell
|Birth name||Marc Anthony Cary|
January 29, 1967 |
New York City, U.S.
|Associated acts||Sameer Gupta|
Marc Cary (born January 29, 1967) is a post bop jazz pianist based out of New York City. Cary has played and recorded with several well-known musicians, including Dizzy Gillespie, Betty Carter, Roy Hargrove, Arthur Taylor, Abbey Lincoln, Carlos Garnett, Erykah Badu, Meshell Ndegeocello, Stefon Harris, Lauryn Hill, Ani DiFranco, Jackie McLean, Q-Tip and Carmen McRae.
Cary grew up playing on the go-go music scene in Washington, D.C. He eventually moved to New York City, and it was through his work with Abbey Lincoln that broad audiences were first introduced to his rhythmic style, which draws on the influence of Randy Weston and McCoy Tyner.
|1995?||Cary On||Enja||With Roy Hargrove (trumpet), Ron Blake (tenor sax), Dwayne Burno (bass), Dion Parson (drums), Yarborough Charles Laws (flute), Charlene Fitzpatrick (vocals)|
|1997?||Listen||Arabesque||With Billy Johnson (bass), Dion Parson (drums), Yarbrough Charles Laws (flute), Daniel Moreno (percussion), Ron Blake (tenor sax), Terell Stafford (trumpet)|
|1998?||The Anitdote||Arabesque||With Daniel Moreno, Yarbrough Charles Laws (percussion), Ron Blake (sax), John Ormond (bass)|
|1999?||Captured Live in Brazil||Jazzateria||with Indigenous People|
|2000?||Trillium||Jazzateria||With Nasheet Waits and Taurus Mateen|
|2003?||N.G.G.R. Please||Jazzateria||with Indigenous People|
|2006?||FOCUS||Motéma Music||Trio, with Sameer Gupta & David Ewell|
|2012||For the Love of Abbey||Motéma Music||Solo piano|
|2013?||Four Directions||Motéma Music||Trio, with Burniss Earl Travis II, Rashaan Carter (bass; separately), Sameer Gupta (drums, tabla)|
|2015?||Rhodes Ahead, Vol. 2||Motéma Music|
With David Murray
- Be My Monster Love (Motéma, 2013)
Honors and awards
- Best New Jazz Artist Award 2000—Billboard/BET
- Grammy Nominations for work with Roy Hargrove, Betty Carter, Stefon Harris & Abbey Lincoln
- One of Downbeat Magazine's "25 for the future of Jazz!"
- Nammy Nomination 2003
- Downbeat, "Rising Star: Keyboard," 2014
- Feather, Leonard & Gitler, Ira (2007). The Biographical Encyclopedia of Jazz, p116. Oxford University Press.
- Adler, David R. "Marc Cary Biography". Allmusic. Retrieved 22 March 2010.
- Russonello, Giovanni. "Photos | Marc Cary at Bohemian Caverns: Believing in the groove (and out)". CapitalBop. Retrieved 10 May 2012. http://www.capitalbop.com/2011/04/26/photos-marc-cary-at-bohemian-caverns-believing-in-the-groove/