Marc E. Platt
|Marc E. Platt|
|Born||March 1957 (age 58)
|Education||University of Pennsylvania|
|Occupation||film, television and theatre producer|
Life and career
Platt was raised in Pikesville, Maryland. He graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 1979. He was an avid member of the University of Pennsylvania Glee Club during his time at the university. After graduation he went on to New York University law school and began his career as an entertainment attorney.
He started producing in theatre, before moving into film. He has served as president of production for three movie studios: Orion Pictures, TriStar Pictures, and Universal Studios. Platt has since formed his own production company, Marc Platt Productions, within the Universal realm and continues to pursue creative projects. His company is responsible for the Legally Blonde films and the HBO miniseries Empire Falls.
He was executive producer of the two-part docudrama The Path to 9/11, shown on ABC on the five-year anniversary of 9/11 on September 10 and 11, 2006. The film was controversial and accused of having a political agenda and fictionalizing the events leading up to the September 11, 2001 attacks, especially those involving the Clinton administration.
Platt lives in the Los Angeles area with his wife and their five children, one of whom is Ben Platt of Pitch Perfect and The Book of Mormon fame. He and his wife, Julie (also a Penn graduate and trustee of the university), have funded the construction of a new performing arts center on the campus, the Platt Student Performing Arts House. He also returns to campus on a regular basis and is a Penn Glee Club supporter. His company has taken at least one Penn student intern a year since its inception.
- 1987: Campus Man (executive producer)
- 2001: Closure (producer)
- 2001: Legally Blonde (producer)
- 2001: Josie and the Pussycats (producer)
- 2002: MDs (TV series, executive producer)
- 2003: Honey (producer)
- 2003: Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde (producer)
- 2003: Mr. Ambassador (TV, executive producer)
- 2003: Legally Blonde (TV, executive producer)
- 2005: Once Upon a Mattress (TV, executive producer)
- 2005: The Perfect Man (producer)
- 2005: Empire Falls (TV, executive producer)
- 2005: The Seeker (producer)
- 2005: Happy Endings (co-producer)
- 2006: The Path to 9/11 (TV, executive producer)
- 2007: The Seeker: The Dark is Rising (producer)
- 2008: Rachel Getting Married (producer)
- 2008: Wanted (producer)
- 2009: Nine (producer)
- 2009: The Other Woman (producer)
- 2009: Legally Blondes (producer)
- 2009: Taking the Stage (executive producer, 1 episode)
- 2010: Cop Out (producer)
- 2010: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (producer)
- 2010: Charlie St. Cloud (producer)
- 2011: Drive (producer)
- 2013: Evidence (producer)
- 2013: 2 Guns (producer)
- 2014: Song One (producer)
- 2014: Winter’s Tale (producer)
- 2014: Lost River (producer)
- 2014: Mockingbird (producer)
- 2014: Into the Woods (producer)
- 2015: Ricki and the Flash (producer)
- 2015: Bridge of Spies (producer)
- 2016: La La Land (producer)
- 2016: The Girl on the Train (producer)
- 2016: Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk (producer)
- 2017: Dunkirk (producer)
- 2001: Backstage Pass (TV)
- 2001: Inside ‘Legally Blonde’ (Video)
- 2003: The Hair That Ate Hollywood (Video)
- 2004: Wicked: The Road to Broadway (Video)
- 2004: Broadway: The American Musical (Episode: “Putting it Together”)
- 2007: ShowBusiness: The Road to Broadway
- 2008: Max on Set: Wanted (TV)
Theatre and musical productions
- 1983: Total Abandon (play, associate producer)
- 2003–present: Wicked (musical)
- 2006: Three Days of Rain (play)
- 2008–2009: Pal Joey (musical, associate producer)
- 2014: If/Then (musical)
- Hughes, Samuel. "COVER STORY: Passion Plays". Pennsylvania Gazette. May/June 2006.
- Empire Falls cast biography. HBO Films.
- Jones, Kenneth. "Hoff Is Broadway's New Pal Joey, With Stockard Channing and Martha Plimpton, at Studio 54". Playbill. June 19, 2008.
- "UPenn Trustees". University of Pennsylvania.
- "Lead Gift Creates a Permanent Home for Student Performing Arts at Penn". University of Pennsylvania. September 2005.
- Marc E. Platt at the Internet Broadway Database
- Marc E. Platt at the Internet Movie Database
- Wicked biography